The Student Room Group

UK seems to be doing well after brexit

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maker
Why didn't you more up to date data unless they are not as good, lies, damn lies and statistics.

saw it on someones twitter so i just copied it and post it on here.
Original post by HucktheForde

They'd do anything to stay in a corrupt organisation that wastes money shuffling about between two places. They're not telling us whether they support the EU's goal of ever closer union which can only be to the detriment of its members.
Original post by Quantex
The economy is doing fantastic.

GDP growth sluggish, falling productivity, record trade deficit, falling real wages.

Your GDP point is valid however productivity and trade were issues before Brexit. Falling real wages are arguably also a result of loose monetary policy and it is ironic that is mostly remainers who support loose monetary policy because your the people who live in fear of economic implosion.

Original post by RogerOxon
Quite apart from Brexit not having happened, have you looked at exchange rates?

Sterling bottomed out at $1.16 in Q4 of 2016 and has since appreciated to $1.32 (it did briefly hit $1.36 but it bobs around). The overall trend is one of recovery after the initial shock and panic and if the BOE actually has the balls to finally raise interest rates we will probably recover our loss.

That being said i do think that people who say weak sterling is a good thing are naive. Exports are simply one aspect of the economy and we gain far more a strong sterling policy forcing down inflation and allowing real wage rises overall, hence why it is desirable to have cheap imports, especially for a service orientated economy.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Rakas21
Your GDP point is valid however productivity and trade were issues before Brexit. Falling real wages are arguably also a result of loose monetary policy and it is ironic that is mostly remainers who support loose monetary policy because your the people who live in fear of economic implosion.

Sterling bottomed out at $1.16 in Q4 of 2016 and has since appreciated to $1.32 (it did briefly hit $1.36 but it bobs around). The overall trend is one of recovery after the initial shock and panic and if the BOE actually has the balls to finally raise interest rates we will probably recover our loss.

That being said i do think that people who say weak sterling is a good thing are naive. Exports are simply one aspect of the economy and we gain far more a strong sterling policy forcing down inflation and allowing real wage rises overall, hence why it is desirable to have cheap imports, especially for a service orientated economy.

Raising interest rates is bad because borrowing costs increases for everyone, everyone then has to pay for Brexit.

2) how many stats do you want me to use?

More than one would be nice.

Of course you did. Typical brexiter.
Original post by Maker
Raising interest rates is bad because borrowing costs increases for everyone, everyone then has to pay for Brexit.

Not everybody borrows and there's a larger number of people who save (albeit not much) than most people think.

While those with mortgages do have less disposable income, our unequal society means that they are actually more likely to have the disposable income to soak up the rise, hence why mortgage defaults are near historic lows. There won't be the wave of bankruptcies that some people suggest.

Your also assuming that we continue to have people borrow at higher levels.
(edited 6 years ago)
And how much has the pound gone down by? Would Monarch be here still (I think they would be, maybe for a while more)? How much uncertainty is there for those married to EU citizens and the EU citizens here, working in areas such as the NHS?

Brexit is an act of economic self-harm. If we could have a referendum on the deal or remain after the negotiations end, then at least there is a chance of some recovery, though some of the damage has been done.

The PM will also increase our chances of a deal by sacking the intemperate Boris Johnson, who should never be allowed to represent this country abroad.
Original post by barnetlad
And how much has the pound gone down by? Would Monarch be here still (I think they would be, maybe for a while more)? How much uncertainty is there for those married to EU citizens and the EU citizens here, working in areas such as the NHS?

Brexit is an act of economic self-harm. If we could have a referendum on the deal or remain after the negotiations end, then at least there is a chance of some recovery, though some of the damage has been done.

The PM will also increase our chances of a deal by sacking the intemperate Boris Johnson, who should never be allowed to represent this country abroad.

Given that the overall sector has still grown i would suggest that it only sped up the inevitable and that Monarch was simply outcompeted.
Economic arguments. Brexiteers don't listen to a word of it because it makes no sense to them. Why aren't the bright minds at work trying to establish a steady state economy? Oh yeah... because any incumbent is going to promise economic growth, no matter what the cost! They'd have thought Jevons' paradox made a little more sense if they put it to practice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending