The Student Room Group

Your tips for introverts at work?

Following on from World Mental Health Day yesterday, and all the fantastic content we had around that, and with it being around mental health in the workplace this year, I thought it would be interesting to talk about another aspect, namely introverts in the workplace.

As many people will have found, it can be difficult joining a new school, university, or workplace if you're more introverted, and particularly with parts like induction, where it's often very people and presentation centred.

So on that note, what would be your top tips on surviving a new workplace as an introvert? And are there any things you'd wished you'd known when you started the job you're in now?

Slight disclaimer that I'm not comparing introversion to mental health, but I wanted to relate it back to WMHD given how much they can play into one another, and the impact both can have on your workplace environment.

Scroll to see replies

Watching to get tips for myself :colondollar:
I'm an introvert (or was more at the time) and I once got a job in retail.

My first job was a cashier at a very busy, high-street shop that anyone would know when the name is mentioned. As an introvert, it was absolute hell. It literally required so much energy to act correctly and be able to communicate with hundreds and hundreds of customers, that I was so exhausted by the end of the day that I could barely walk.

And obviously I had a massive need for money at the time (I needed money for sixth form transport). But man, did I discover that I never EVER want to work in retail, ever again. I'd rather turn to drug dealing if I needed the little money you actually make from retail. I'm a bit better now (less of an introvert), but only due to years of evolution of my social skills.

So I guess the moral of the story is, if you know that you simply cannot handle it, just stay well away. It's good to try and not be an introvert, but somewhere along the line of being able to not act like an introvert, you will have some serious problems. For me it was a huge lack of physical and mental energy.

But I guess you should also be patient with it, so you can get used to it. It took me about 2 weeks, but I eventually adjusted to it. I call it personal evolution. Kind of like how the first homosapiens didn't have a clue how to make food, all they could do is scavenge in a harsh, animal world. But thousands of years later, we now have the luxury of sitting in our own private houses, stuffing our faces with Mcdonalds.
(edited 6 years ago)
It seems introverts have a disadvantage in life than to extroverts
This isn't really a tip for introverts more a tip for everyone else around them.
I think if you see someone who looks awkward and on their own then approach them, i find it incredibly hard to approach people and it's much easier if people approach you. Obviously other people can't be expected to do all the work and if people try to talk to you and you give nothing back then obviously that is your fault then but yeh i think just make that initial effort with people. a lot of the time i do want to speak to people im just too scared to make that first move
I’m an introvert :colondollar: Probably the most anti-social person you’ll ever meet 😂
Reply 6
Original post by shadowdweller
Following on from World Mental Health Day yesterday, and all the fantastic content we had around that, and with it being around mental health in the workplace this year, I thought it would be interesting to talk about another aspect, namely introverts in the workplace.

As many people will have found, it can be difficult joining a new school, university, or workplace if you're more introverted, and particularly with parts like induction, where it's often very people and presentation centred.

So on that note, what would be your top tips on surviving a new workplace as an introvert? And are there any things you'd wished you'd known when you started the job you're in now?

Slight disclaimer that I'm not comparing introversion to mental health, but I wanted to relate it back to WMHD given how much they can play into one another, and the impact both can have on your workplace environment.

I am massively introverted. I can only speak about uni, but it would also apply to the workplace. I met my gf (also an introvert) on the second night of freshers by doing the following thing. I think it is key to participate in activities that you like to participate in. By this I mean, I had the choice of two events. One where everyone was going to get drunk and one that was more chilled. I was being pressured to do the first. But I stopped myself. I said I am in control. So I went to the chilled activity. Thank god I did, cos I found the love of my life. Be the person you want to be and the right people will just come into your life! Being so close to another introverted person inspired me to start expressing my feeling more and become more of the person I want to be - I realised that as an introvert I am not alone. She gave me the confidence to record my feelings - like in this video.

https://youtu.be/XZJbdxXUtks

Cheers James x
Reply 7
Original post by Kenneye_j
I'm an introvert (or was more at the time) and I once got a job in retail.

My first job was a cashier at a very busy, high-street shop that anyone would know when the name is mentioned. As an introvert, it was absolute hell. It literally required so much energy to act correctly and be able to communicate with hundreds and hundreds of customers, that I was so exhausted by the end of the day that I could barely walk.

And obviously I had a massive need for money at the time (I needed money for sixth form transport). But man, did I discover that I never EVER want to work in retail, ever again. I'd rather turn to drug dealing if I needed the little money you actually make from retail. I'm a bit better now (less of an introvert), but only due to years of evolution of my social skills.

So I guess the moral of the story is, if you know that you simply cannot handle it, just stay well away. It's good to try and not be an introvert, but somewhere along the line of being able to not act like an introvert, you will have some serious problems. For me it was a huge lack of physical and mental energy.

But I guess you should also be patient with it, so you can get used to it. It took me about 2 weeks, but I eventually adjusted to it. I call it personal evolution. Kind of like how the first homosapiens didn't have a clue how to make food, all they could do is scavenge in a harsh, animal world. But thousands of years later, we now have the luxury of sitting in our own private houses, stuffing our faces with Mcdonalds.

I can completely relate to your story. This summer I worked at a well known coffee shop to earn money for my 3rd year at uni. I am an introvert and would often try and clean up in the kitchen to avoid being on the till and serving customers but my manager always told me to go back on the till. Serving customers was very draining as I had to pretend to be cheerful and happy, I was working over 40hrs a week!

I think my experience would have been bearable if my colleagues just left me alone. Everyday someone would say "why are you so quite?", "you're shy" or "you need to talk more". One colleague kept saying that I was 'upperty' (a snob). People need to stop mistaking being an introvert for being a snob. I am an old soul who prefers to save their energy for meaningful conversation and not annoying small talk.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by JSSB
I am massively introverted. I can only speak about uni, but it would also apply to the workplace. I met my gf (also an introvert) on the second night of freshers by doing the following thing. I think it is key to participate in activities that you like to participate in. By this I mean, I had the choice of two events. One where everyone was going to get drunk and one that was more chilled. I was being pressured to do the first. But I stopped myself. I said I am in control. So I went to the chilled activity. Thank god I did, cos I found the love of my life. Be the person you want to be and the right people will just come into your life! Being so close to another introverted person inspired me to start expressing my feeling more and become more of the person I want to be - I realised that as an introvert I am not alone. She gave me the confidence to record my feelings - like in this video.

https://youtu.be/XZJbdxXUtks

Cheers James x

Thx for the advice bro

P.S. You're hot :colondollar:
Reply 9
Thx for the advice bro

P.S. You're hot :colondollar:

haha, much appreciated. Self Image is something I, like many introverts, struggle with.
Original post by JSSB
haha, much appreciated. Self Image is something I, like many introverts, struggle with.

No worries brudda, P.S. your beard's looking ace and you aint got no spots :smile:
Reply 11
No worries brudda, P.S. your beard's looking ace and you aint got no spots :smile:

The Beard! Man I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to grow it out. People always making me think I should shave it. Well f*ck them, its happening.

Is this the video you watched?

https://youtu.be/I1RJqHlZ_IM
Original post by catholicgirl
I can completely relate to your story. This summer I worked at a well known coffee shop to earn money for my 3rd year at uni. I am an introvert and would often try and clean up in the kitchen to avoid being on the till and serving customers but my manager always told me to go back on the till. Serving customers was very draining as I had to pretend to be cheerful and happy, I was working over 40hrs a week!

I think my experience would have been bearable if my colleagues just left me alone. Everyday someone would say "why are you so quite?", "you're shy" or "you need to talk more". One colleague kept saying that I was 'upperty' (a snob). People need to stop mistaking being an introvert for being a snob. I am an old soul who prefers to save their energy for meaningful conversation and not annoying small talk.

I know exactly what you mean it was really draining for me as well. Although I was on the till about 90% of the time, except when I wasn't putting tags on these 'very cheap, Chinese-sweatshop-made' clothes. What was even worse for me was that the lazy co-"workers" would exploit my lack of experience of being in the company and would leave me alone at the till with a line of 20 people. And oh god, it still sends chills down my spine to this day when I remember the vision of a whole school trip of foreign teenagers being boys and waiting for me to serve them in one huge crowd. Foreigners were the worst in my opinion (not being racist or anything), but when you're trying to explain to an Italian woman who doesn't speak a word of English that we don't accept mastercard, with a huge line waiting, it's literal hell. And for only £4.50 an hour, that was pretty tough.

Glad those days are over :biggrin:
Original post by JSSB
The Beard! Man I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to grow it out. People always making me think I should shave it. Well f*ck them, its happening.

Is this the video you watched?

https://youtu.be/I1RJqHlZ_IM

Yeah, looks gr8 don't listen to those people :smile:

P.S you don't seem like much of an introvert IMO, I think you should try and be more of an extrovert if you know what I mean :biggrin:
Reply 14
Yeah, looks gr8 don't listen to those people :smile:

P.S you don't seem like much of an introvert IMO, I think you should try and be more of an extrovert if you know what I mean :biggrin:

Haha, I take that as progress! No I don't follow. You'll have to explain. :biggrin:
Original post by Anonymous
This isn't really a tip for introverts more a tip for everyone else around them.
I think if you see someone who looks awkward and on their own then approach them, i find it incredibly hard to approach people and it's much easier if people approach you. Obviously other people can't be expected to do all the work and if people try to talk to you and you give nothing back then obviously that is your fault then but yeh i think just make that initial effort with people. a lot of the time i do want to speak to people im just too scared to make that first move

Introversion has nothing whatsoever to do with being shy.
Original post by Profesh

I wonder if you'd explain the difference to them.
Original post by Profesh

Original post by Lepidolite
I wonder if you'd explain the difference to them.

please don't lecture me thanks. I'm not talking about shyness i'm talking about a fear of social situations, i am introverted, i like being on my own a lot most of the time but unfortunately society requires you to interact with other people and situations and to talk to others. I am merely saying how other people can make it easier for other people like me or anyone else who feels that way. Not every introverted or extroverted person is going to be the same are they but if it helps one person then what is the problem. Don't think having palpitations and sweating in a room full of strangers is just 'shyness' anyway tbh
Original post by Anonymous
please don't lecture me thanks. I'm not talking about shyness i'm talking about a fear of social situations, i am introverted, i like being on my own a lot most of the time but unfortunately society requires you to interact with other people and situations and to talk to others. I am merely saying how other people can make it easier for other people like me or anyone else who feels that way. Not every introverted or extroverted person is going to be the same are they but if it helps one person then what is the problem. Don't think having palpitations and sweating in a room full of strangers is just 'shyness' anyway tbh

There might be a lot of situations where you need to interact with others but if you really can't/don't want to then there are ways around it. Get a job working for a small company or find something where you can work from home, do all your shopping online. Some people may disagree with this way of life but if that's what you want for yourself then that is your choice.

Palpitations and sweating may be due to anxiety. Whilst introverts may also experience anxiety, it is not exclusive to them.
Original post by Lepidolite
There might be a lot of situations where you need to interact with others but if you really can't/don't want to then there are ways around it. Get a job working for a small company or find something where you can work from home, do all your shopping online. Some people may disagree with this way of life but if that's what you want for yourself then that is your choice.

Palpitations and sweating may be due to anxiety. Whilst introverts may also experience anxiety, it is not exclusive to them.

Yeh that's good if that's what you want to do and if people want to do that that's fine but in my course and my ideal job group work and communication is a vital part of it (that is a drawback but something that i accept because i want to work within this field). I want to challenge myself and try to improve somewhat, it will always be against my nature to be put in those situations but if i can navigate them and do well in them i think that would set me up better for a career. Ideally yes i would prefer to work alone but life isn't ideal and at this stage it is important to be versatile to some extent as you can't really be that picky when it comes to work placements and things since it is lucky to get one at all
In my case they are because i do have anxiety, and yes but people can be both, one or none at all. It is hard to know where anxiety and MH stuff stops and just a naturally introverted personality begins and obviously i can only speak for myself and not everyone. I still think my point stands for most things though which is that if everyone in the vicinity of these people were just a bit more considerate and approachable/willing to approach others that would benefit a whole spectrum of people no end and it costs nothing to the giver so idk why more people just don't have that attitude

Quick Reply

Latest