The Student Room Group

Is this hindering my job prospects?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cheesecakelove
I don't think admin jobs are suited for you? Keep applying for IT jobs as you are having more success, and you are looking for a career in this field.

Thank you for the advice and motivation.
Reply 21
I know a lot of people that have had similar issues with entry level jobs and such. The way to really counteract that is at interview stage make sure you come across as someone who is hungry and willing to get stuck in, regardless of if you're not, just blag your way through it.
Original post by AnEvolvedApe
I am getting responses to my CV (not often, but frequently) and I have been to 3 interviews over the past 4-5 weeks.

I consider myself to be quite intellectual, self and academically educated, well-spoken with a strong vocabulary and I project this in interviews (this is just the way I am). The interviews I have had are mostly entry-level and Admin jobs which you do not really require a degree, however I have a degree also.

Is my rather ambitious, politician-like personality and being overqualified hindering my potential for job offers for jobs at the "lower" end of the spectrum? Do I have to act a little more "stupid" (for lack of better term)?

All I want is a job because we all got to start from somewhere, but then I get rejected; I am not even given a chance even though I have a decent amount of experience for these jobs and present myself well at interviews.

Employers do tend to think that graduates don't want admin work because its 'too easy' which is fair enough to say given that you have studied a challenging course for 3 years.
Also some and most graduates refuse to do these types of jobs exactly for the same reason. You literally stare at a computer screen and photocopy documents which anyone can do and that is why it is considered a 'menial' job because it is literally way too simple and not at all challenging. Admin job is not for everyone.

I've been doing admin jobs since I graduated 3 years ago and most of the time I do feel that i am not getting anywhere, but nonetheless I still do enjoy the job because of the people I work with. The other main reason why I do it is because it is better than sitting at home and watching TV and not earning any money at the end of it.
Original post by AngelsandFairies
Employers do tend to think that graduates don't want admin work because its 'too easy' which is fair enough to say given that you have studied a challenging course for 3 years.
Also some and most graduates refuse to do these types of jobs exactly for the same reason. You literally stare at a computer screen and photocopy documents which anyone can do and that is why it is considered a 'menial' job because it is literally way too simple and not at all challenging. Admin job is not for everyone.

I've been doing admin jobs since I graduated 3 years ago and most of the time I do feel that i am not getting anywhere, but nonetheless I still do enjoy the job because of the people I work with. The other main reason why I do it is because it is better than sitting at home and watching TV and not earning any money at the end of it.

Exactly this issue I am having. But, I right now, do not care what job I do or if it is "menial".

As many of us need to get by, I just want a job to earn money and to pursue other avenues alongside work, despite the unsubstantial accusations of snobbery brought against me. I'll take anything but the Job Centre, right now!
I think mostly the reverse is true, they see you as underqualified rather than over, you need to remember that relevant work experience plays a MAJOR part in getting jobs, a degree in a subject is completely different to having worked in the area, it helps you get your foot in the door only when applying against people without a degree OR work experience.
Yes, I am glad to see some mannerly responses again. Thank you.

I studied Audio Technology with a 2:1 but that also entailed a huge emphasis on IT, so most of the interviews I am getting are IT jobs as that is mostly the career I am aiming for. But most of the jobs I have applied for that I do not get many responses is the Admin vacancies and I have been told by many that it is likely my degree and research has even shown (you'd have to Google it) that having a more detailed CV without grammatical errors can distance the employers as they want people to turn up and shut up. I am just not that kind of person.

I interviewed with the Fed Govt in 1969. A division chief talked to me, and asked whether, with a 'second order servo loop', you had any velocity error. I was floored, first that a division chief would even know what a servo loop WAS, much less the diff between first and second order ones. I answered correctly. When i left the govt in 1984, the people at the (so called) 'working level' wouldn't know what a servo loop was, much less a division chief, who would be at least 2 levels higher. At that time, ALL the technically competent people had left the agency i was with. I suspect that i might have been the last one out the door. Certainly, of the group i hired in with [in 1969], ALL of them had already left. I suspect your technical background might be working against you, as they might feel 'threatened' having a 'techie' as a 'manager'. Also, they might expect to get you in at the 'working level' for a while to 'try you out' before making you a manager of anything. I've never worked for a Uk company, i'm just inferring how things might work on this side of the pond. Cheers.
Also, to note, I went to public school

Just an FYI - public school means something different in this country (in fact they're pretty much the poshest private schools).

Have you considered leaving off your degree from CV when applying for jobs that don't say they need them? I've heard from some it might help for less skilled office work.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending