The Student Room Group

Investigate how language is used to represent a group in the media

How would you compare articles of van attacks. How would you be able to explain the language being used in the article, and how it is represented
Original post by amy045
How would you compare articles of van attacks. How would you be able to explain the language being used in the article, and how it is represented

Find different articles on he same van attack. Different papers, countries etc.

Look at who is writing it and for what audience. Look at the story they tell and how they differ from each other. Point out the differences in language and look at what effect and why they might say things in the way they do.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Find different articles on he same van attack. Different papers, countries etc.

Look at who is writing it and for what audience. Look at the story they tell and how they differ from each other. Point out the differences in language and look at what effect and why they might say things in the way they do.

I’ve done that but I don’t know what to write...the articles I’ve chosen is the wesminister attack and the Finsbury Park.
Help me asap I have to do a press tomororw
Original post by amy045
I’ve done that but I don’t know what to write...the articles I’ve chosen is the wesminister attack and the Finsbury Park.
Help me asap I have to do a press tomororw

I cant see the articles. BUt if youve chosen the right ones then look for how they differ.

Difference between the telegraph, some asian paper and the express?

One will have more detail, one may focus on facts, raher may focus on anti muslim feeling and another on human interest story etc? they all have different versions of the same story because they write for their audience.

How does it talk about the groups? the police, the public? Muslims? Are they resented im a good light? Where is the emphasis? Its just a case of analysing the article and then the content.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
I cant see the articles. BUt if youve chosen the right ones then look for how they differ.

Difference between the telegraph, some asian paper and the express?

One will have more detail, one may focus on facts, raher may focus on anti muslim feeling and another on human interest story etc? they all have different versions of the same story because they write for their audience.

How does it talk about the groups? the police, the public? Muslims? Are they resented im a good light? Where is the emphasis? Its just a case of analysing the article and then the content.

Here’s the article. The bits that are highlighted in yellow are the quotes we are explaining
Reply 5
Original post by amy045
Here’s the article. The bits that are highlighted in yellow are the quotes we are explaining

And how would you write a comparison paragraph.
Can you give me some explanation please cause I dont know what to write ASAP
Reply 6
I'm going to guess what the things you are looking at here are the differences because one was an attack on Muslims and one was an attack by a Muslim and the media decide to portray them.
Reply 7
Original post by utr
I'm going to guess what the things you are looking at here are the differences because one was an attack on Muslims and one was an attack by a Muslim and the media decide to portray them.

Well one is Muslim the other isn’t I’ve posted the articles
Reply 8
Yeah that's my point. Like at the difference in the language used when a Muslim is a victim and when they're the perpetrator.

Quick Reply

Latest