The Student Room Group

Children's Nursing 2018 Entry

Hi :smile:

Who is applying for 2018 Children's nursing and which universities are you applying for? I am applying for UWE, Bournemouth and possibly Southampton.

I'll be a mature student with a primary school placement work experience, 3 years experience in a nursing home and 3 years experience in a hospital at the day surgery unit where we look after children every week, so I'm hopeful! I am a mature student and currently taking an access course.

I would love to hear what experience everyone else has and also any tips from registered Paeds nurses or student nurses on the course. :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jadeymp
Hi :smile:

Who is applying for 2018 Children's nursing and which universities are you applying for? I am applying for UWE, Bournemouth and possibly Southampton.

I'll be a mature student with a primary school placement work experience, 3 years experience in a nursing home and 3 years experience in a hospital at the day surgery unit where we look after children every week, so I'm hopeful! I am a mature student and currently taking an access course.

I would love to hear what experience everyone else has and also any tips from registered Paeds nurses or student nurses on the course. :biggrin:

Hey, I’m also a mature student taking an access course. This is my first year applying. As far as experience goes I have worked in nursery for ages 0-5 years for 6 months, I have volunteered on the maternity ward at my local hospital, also got to shadow a few doctors and nurses through volunteering. I have worked in a care home and have a personal experience as my son was born with a major heart defect and had OHS when he was born. I have finally finished my personal statement and will be sending my ucas off on the 14th of this month 😬 I will be applying to Plymouth only due to family commitments. Good luck 🙂
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by LaurMitchxx
Hey, I’m also a mature student taking an access course. This is my first year applying. As far as experience goes I have worked in nursery for ages 0-5 years for 6 months, I have volunteered on the maternity ward at my local hospital, also got to shadow a few doctors and nurses through volunteering. I have worked in a care home and have a personal experience as my son was born with a major heart defect and had OHS when he was born. I have finally finished my personal statement and will be sending my ucas off on the 14th of this month 😬 I will be applying to Plymouth only due to family commitments. Good luck 🙂

This is also my first year of applying for Nursing :smile: I applied for Midwifery when I was in college but I didn't have a good time there and never made my grades. Plus I am glad I didn't go in that direction as now I really know what I want to do! We have to have our statements finished by the end of this month.

It sounds like you're all set! Good luck and fingers crossed for you :biggrin:
Hi, mature student here too!
I finished my Access course last June so already know I have the grades but didn't apply last year as had my 3rd child last march. He was premature and we have spent lots of time in nicu and on children's ward so feel like I have plenty of hands on experience although haven't got any formal nursing experience.
Worked as a childminder for a couple of years and done several physiotherapy placements so trying to tie it all in ps!
I'm only applying for Southampton (maybe Bournemouth for interview experience too) as can't relocate the whole family... fingers crossed for us all!
Hi lovelies,

I am applying for children’s nursing (third year in a row!) and I am classed as a mature student!

I have applied for Bournemouth,Southampton,Coventry and uni of West London.

I have various experiences including,volunteering in various primary and nursery settings,dementia,support work&i am now a healthcare assistant on an acute medical unit!

I’m really hoping to get into uni this year & either go to Bournemouth or Southampton!

Good luck to you all! X
Reply 5
Original post by my3sprogs
Hi, mature student here too!
I finished my Access course last June so already know I have the grades but didn't apply last year as had my 3rd child last march. He was premature and we have spent lots of time in nicu and on children's ward so feel like I have plenty of hands on experience although haven't got any formal nursing experience.
Worked as a childminder for a couple of years and done several physiotherapy placements so trying to tie it all in ps!
I'm only applying for Southampton (maybe Bournemouth for interview experience too) as can't relocate the whole family... fingers crossed for us all!

At least you have your grades already so that’s one big box ticked that you don’t have to worry about 😊 I guess you can really concentrate on PS & interview practice (that’s what I’m most worried about!). I think as you spent so much time on nicu and the ward you have enough experience behind you!

Good luck x
Reply 6
Original post by futurechildnurse
Hi lovelies,

I am applying for children’s nursing (third year in a row!) and I am classed as a mature student!

I have applied for Bournemouth,Southampton,Coventry and uni of West London.

I have various experiences including,volunteering in various primary and nursery settings,dementia,support work&i am now a healthcare assistant on an acute medical unit!

I’m really hoping to get into uni this year & either go to Bournemouth or Southampton!

Good luck to you all! X

Hi 😊

If you don’t mind me asking do you know why you didn’t get a place before? Poor you! This fills me with dread that I still might not get a place this year, it’s so competitive.

Fingers crossed for you...hopefully it’ll be third time lucky 😃 x
Original post by Jadeymp
At least you have your grades already so that’s one big box ticked that you don’t have to worry about 😊 I guess you can really concentrate on PS & interview practice (that’s what I’m most worried about!). I think as you spent so much time on nicu and the ward you have enough experience behind you!

Good luck x

Yes very true, and I guess I would be offered an unconditional place if I did get one?

My ps is the bit I'm most worried about as i applied for physio a few years ago (ok, 10 years ago!) and was told it wasn't strong enough.

Has anyone sent their ucas off already?
Original post by Jadeymp
Hi 😊

If you don’t mind me asking do you know why you didn’t get a place before? Poor you! This fills me with dread that I still might not get a place this year, it’s so competitive.

Fingers crossed for you...hopefully it’ll be third time lucky 😃 x

Hi and not at all. First year I was nervous,failed the tests by a few marks and last year i failed a test by one mark and was told I didn’t know the role of a nurse.

Hopefully,third year lucky.x
I have just sent my ucas to my tutor today for reference, so nervous all the doubt is beginning to creep in 😩
Original post by LaurMitchxx
I have just sent my ucas to my tutor today for reference, so nervous all the doubt is beginning to creep in 😩

Good luck! Just sent mine off too.... exciting but scary!
I’m so pleased I have 3/4 interviews!
Original post by futurechildnurse
I’m so pleased I have 3/4 interviews!

Amazing! Well done and good luck for them! Where are they for?
Original post by my3sprogs
Amazing! Well done and good luck for them! Where are they for?

Thank you! Uwl,Bournemouth,Coventry
Reply 14
I'm so rubbish at replying to this thread, oops. WELL DONE YOU! Really do have fingers crossed for you. My application is being sent off this week. x
Original post by Jadeymp
I'm so rubbish at replying to this thread, oops. WELL DONE YOU! Really do have fingers crossed for you. My application is being sent off this week. x

Thank you,lovely. I have had another interview invite for Southampton,so I’ve got 4/4! Hopefully one of these unis will offer me a place! X
Hi!

I'm 19 and I have applied for children's nursing for Sept 2018 and this is my second year applying! I did biology, psychology and sociology at A level but I will be resetting biology next year. I've applied to Surrey, Cardiff, UWE and Oxford Brookes and I've got 2 invitations to interview so far.

Good luck everyone!x
Reply 17
Original post by elise68
Hi!

I'm 19 and I have applied for children's nursing for Sept 2018 and this is my second year applying! I did biology, psychology and sociology at A level but I will be resetting biology next year. I've applied to Surrey, Cardiff, UWE and Oxford Brookes and I've got 2 invitations to interview so far.

Good luck everyone!x

Good luck with your interviews! I am super nervous as most people seem to be at least in their second year of trying to get a place. Fingers crossed for you too, I am applying for UWE and Oxford Brookes also. x
Hi all, I went through applications at the end of 2016 and start of 2017. My course at Wolverhampton for children’s nursing starts in January 2018.

If anyone has any questions about the selection process I could help - I applied to Wolverhampton, Birmingham, Northampton, Worcester, and Nottingham. I had interviews at all except Nottingham and received offers from Wolverhampton, Birmingham, and Worcester.

Any questions I’ll try my best to answer! x
Reply 19
Original post by beckyl55
Hi all, I went through applications at the end of 2016 and start of 2017. My course at Wolverhampton for children’s nursing starts in January 2018.

If anyone has any questions about the selection process I could help - I applied to Wolverhampton, Birmingham, Northampton, Worcester, and Nottingham. I had interviews at all except Nottingham and received offers from Wolverhampton, Birmingham, and Worcester.

Any questions I’ll try my best to answer! x

Hi, and thank you for offering your advice 😊
What experience did you have prior to applying?

It would also be helpful to know what sort of questions you were asked at your interviews? I don’t think I interview that well as I get nervous which makes my brain turn to mush 🙄 I know what I want to say but get brain block, I suppose I’m not the only one! So I want to make sure I’m as prepared as I can be.

X

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending