The Student Room Group

Should I take Physics if I hate Math?

I'm currently choosing my A-Levels for entry into my chosen sixth form next year and so far I'v chosen two.

Geography and Psyhcology.
Both are solid subjects I enjoy and am good at so it's a no brainer about these two.

For the third I'v nailed it down to it being a facilitating subject. Those I am considering are Biology,Physics and History.

My main career focus is on doing Architecture so obviously you would say I should take Physics or maybe even Math instead of Geography. Hold on , nope.

I hate Maths but love the science of Physics.
That's the problem. I'm getting told this when I tell my predicament to people, 'if you enjoy Physics take it, you shouldn't not take it because of one thing'.

That's like saying I want Mac and Cheese but I hate the macaroni.
It doesn't work like that.

However because my mind is in a whirl of thought about this topic I keep going back and forth saying 'Lemme just yolo it' and then my other half responding with 'no you imbecile don't'.

If I didn't take Physics my next choice would be Biology even though it has no relevance to my preferred career path.

I haven't done History at GCSE so that's something to consider aswell.

What's your take on this?
Any help will be gladly appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

no-forget physics without the maths dude dont do it
biology on its own sounds kinda useless to me
maybe thers another course out there
Original post by Oneiropólos
I'm currently choosing my A-Levels for entry into my chosen sixth form next year and so far I'v chosen two.

Both are solid subjects I enjoy and am good at so it's a no brainer about these two.

For the third I'v nailed it down to it being a facilitating subject. Those I am considering are Biology,Physics and History.

My main career focus is on doing Architecture so obviously you would say I should take Physics or maybe even Math instead of Geography. Hold on , nope.

That's the problem. I'm getting told this when I tell my predicament to people, 'if you enjoy Physics take it, you shouldn't not take it because of one thing'.

However because my mind is in a whirl of thought about this topic I keep going back and forth saying 'Lemme just yolo it' and then my other half responding with 'no you imbecile don't'.

If I didn't take Physics my next choice would be Biology even though it has no relevance to my preferred career path.

For architecture, maybe try to do Art and Design A level? Many unis focus more on the design rather than the technical aspect, and art and design would be perfect for that! If you feel like you like the more technical aspect but don't like maths, then maybe you need to think about your course again?

And on the topic of physics, it is possible to do well in a level without maths, since a lot of it is memorisation, but I wouldn't advise it. Chances are, if you hate maths, you will absolutely detest physics at A level, especially A2 with further mechanics, SHM and other heavy maths topics.(this is a generalisation of course)
Original post by SlashaRussia
For architecture, maybe try to do Art and Design A level? Many unis focus more on the design rather than the technical aspect, and art and design would be perfect for that! If you feel like you like the more technical aspect but don't like maths, then maybe you need to think about your course again?

And on the topic of physics, it is possible to do well in a level without maths, since a lot of it is memorisation, but I wouldn't advise it. Chances are, if you hate maths, you will absolutely detest physics at A level, especially A2 with further mechanics, SHM and other heavy maths topics.(this is a generalisation of course)

Thanks for the info but unfortunately my school didn't offer me an Art GCSE.
Sad face
Thanks for the info but unfortunately my school didn't offer me an Art GCSE.
Sad face

What about graphics then? That could be good!

I would then start to work on a portfolio now of art and design (especially design) for unis and so on. If your school didn't offer Art, then I am sure that some of them would be able to accept an exceptional portfolio instead? (I am not 100% sure on this though)
Original post by SlashaRussia
What about graphics then? That could be good!

I would then start to work on a portfolio now of art and design (especially design) for unis and so on. If your school didn't offer Art, then I am sure that some of them would be able to accept an exceptional portfolio instead? (I am not 100% sure on this though)

All sixth forms that I'm interested in need a GCSE in Art and a portfolio. I'll just have to start building my portfolio from now.
If you hate math don’t take Physics, it’s mostly math anyways. Yeah the science is fun on Physics but the variation of equations in physics are extremely hard “harder than calculus”. I would go with bio, its always interesting haha. Best of luck!
Original post by Diegito301
If you hate math don’t take Physics, it’s mostly math anyways. Yeah the science is fun on Physics but the variation of equations in physics are extremely hard “harder than calculus”. I would go with bio, its always interesting haha. Best of luck!

Thanks!
Reply 8
I'm told that the 'typical' combination of A levels for Architecture is Maths, Physics and Art. Honestly, I would question why you want to study Architecture if you really hate Maths that much.
Heya, I’m in the last year of my A-Levels and applying for architecture at uni currently, I take physics maths and dt, I definitely struggle with physics maths even though in normal maths alevel I am doing really well- my advice is do not pick physics I loved it too, got an a* at gcse and now I’m predicted a B :/ when my maths and dt predictions are A* and A
The thing I am struggling with currently is applying without art- luckily I took it for gcse but I would definitely look into a separate art course outside of school or you will struggle
History is great for architecture- it was my AS, as long as you can analyse and learn facts you’ll be fine
Psychology and geography aren’t that useful for architecture unfortunately, unis would rather an artistic subject, written subject and a science
Original post by Beth_H
I'm told that the 'typical' combination of A levels for Architecture is Maths, Physics and Art. Honestly, I would question why you want to study Architecture if you really hate Maths that much.

And I'm told many universities are more design oriented and the maths involved in those design oriented unis aren't that big a deal
Original post by Scarlettlrmo
Heya, I’m in the last year of my A-Levels and applying for architecture at uni currently, I take physics maths and dt, I definitely struggle with physics maths even though in normal maths alevel I am doing really well- my advice is do not pick physics I loved it too, got an a* at gcse and now I’m predicted a B :/ when my maths and dt predictions are A* and A
The thing I am struggling with currently is applying without art- luckily I took it for gcse but I would definitely look into a separate art course outside of school or you will struggle
History is great for architecture- it was my AS, as long as you can analyse and learn facts you’ll be fine
Psychology and geography aren’t that useful for architecture unfortunately, unis would rather an artistic subject, written subject and a science

So what you're saying is I can take Art outside of my sixth form? If so how would I go about that
So what you're saying is I can take Art outside of my sixth form? If so how would I go about that

There are courses online or some colleges, speak to a careers advisor :smile:
Reply 13
And I'm told many universities are more design oriented and the maths involved in those design oriented unis aren't that big a deal

If you want a design oriented course, why not take design? There's always going to be maths in an architecture degree, and even more so if you actually end up as an architect.

As someone who didnt take A-level maths but did take A-level physics I am going to go against what most people say.

imo it doesnt make the physics a-level harder, the maths covered in a physics A-level doesnt even use any of the maths past GCSE. What is it about maths you dislike? As in physics it is mostly being able to rearrange basic equations, know when to use each equations and application of concepts. There are some parts like SHM (I think) where you will need to derive an equation from a few other equations but again in terms of maths its not difficult (just basic algebra)

So imo as long as you can do basic algebra (for rearranging equations) and can plug numbers into equations, I think you can do the maths part (or when it comes to deriving equations learn to) if you can do the bits I have mentioned. The rest is just physics (which includes knowing when to use certain equations)

Are you saying that the maths in a physics A-level is harder than calculus? If so that is definitely not true
DON'T DO IT.
The mechanics involved in AS and A2 Physics is definitely harder than anything you'll encounter in C1 and C2. If you're not completely comfortable with maths, I wouldn't take the subject.
Oh yeah, maybe look at logarithms and exponentials- that’s as bad as it gets in physics I think, but it’s really tough

This just is not true.
Reply 19
Original post by _gcx
This just is not true.

Yeah, that's definitely not true.

Quick Reply

Latest