The Student Room Group

Applying to oxford after a year at another uni.

Hi, i'm currently studying Liberal Arts at KCL but really believe that i want to apply to oxford for oriental studies. However it's only a few days before the oxbridge application deadline and i don't think i would be able to get my spplication together in time because i would be applying for a different course. I know it is possible to apply at the end of this uni year instead but i was just wondering how this would affect student funding. Would i still get funding for my undergraduate degree? Please help
Original post by sophia1928
Hi, i'm currently studying Liberal Arts at KCL but really believe that i want to apply to oxford for oriental studies. However it's only a few days before the oxbridge application deadline and i don't think i would be able to get my spplication together in time because i would be applying for a different course. I know it is possible to apply at the end of this uni year instead but i was just wondering how this would affect student funding. Would i still get funding for my undergraduate degree? Please help

If you complete your first year and then apply to Oxford during a gap year then your Oxford course would be fully funded.

If you complete your first year and then apply to Oxford while continuing into second year at KCL then your first year at Oxford would not be funded (tuition fee loan would not be available, maintenance loan would still be available).

This is what Oxford expect you to do if applying from another university (https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/547/kw/transfer/related/1 ) - there's no other way that you could provide "evidence of your performance on your university course" or a reference from someone at your current university if you applied DURING your first year.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
If you complete your first year and then apply to Oxford during a gap year then your Oxford course would be fully funded.

If you complete your first year and then apply to Oxford while continuing into second year at KCL then your first year at Oxford would not be funded (tuition fee loan would not be available, maintenance loan would still be available).

This is what Oxford expect you to do if applying from another university (https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/547/kw/transfer/related/1 ) - there's no other way that you could provide "evidence of your performance on your university course" or a reference from someone at your current university if you applied DURING your first year.

My plan would be to do the first year at kcl and decide next summer what i'm goi to do. Then, if i stiol want to apply to oxford, i would drop out of kcl before second year.
My plan would be to do the first year at kcl and decide next summer what i'm goi to do. Then, if i stiol want to apply to oxford, i would drop out of kcl before second year.

That sounds like a good plan (rather than rushing in an application!).

You should be able to interrupt your studies at KCL while you take a year out - then if things don't go to plan with Oxford or you change your mind you have the fall back of resuming your degree https://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/services/information/Information.aspx#interrupting
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
That sounds like a good plan (rather than rushing in an application!).

You should be able to interrupt your studies at KCL while you take a year out - then if things don't go to plan with Oxford or you change your mind you have the fall back of resuming your degree https://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/services/information/Information.aspx#interrupting

Thank you so much for your help!!! I just think I would also benefit from having a year out because i'm really struggling with my mental health at the moment and I would like to do some things during that time to make sure my application for oxford is as good as it can be.
Thank you so much for your help!!! I just think I would also benefit from having a year out because i'm really struggling with my mental health at the moment and I would like to do some things during that time to make sure my application for oxford is as good as it can be.

Definitely talk to your tutor so they they're aware of what you're dealing with and that you're thinking of applying to Oxford. They should be able to help you tap into all the support available at KCL and offer to provide you with a reference.
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
Definitely talk to your tutor so they they're aware of what you're dealing with and that you're thinking of applying to Oxford. They should be able to help you tap into all the support available at KCL and offer to provide you with a reference.

Thank you, this is all really helpful. I just don't really want to bother my tutor at the moment because i've primarily been struggling with a relapse in my eating disorder but i have never been diagnosed so i'm not sure if it's really valid to talk about with them. I also just hope that they won't be really angry with me, i just really feel like i chose the wrong course.
Thank you, this is all really helpful. I just don't really want to bother my tutor at the moment because i've primarily been struggling with a relapse in my eating disorder but i have never been diagnosed so i'm not sure if it's really valid to talk about with them. I also just hope that they won't be really angry with me, i just really feel like i chose the wrong course.

In that case talk to the student services counselling team - make sure someone has a record that you're going through this (and they should be able to help too :smile: ) https://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/services/counselling/contact.aspx - you might not need them but it really wont do any harm to tap into the support that's available.
Original post by PQ

What does it mean if tuition fee loans aren't avaliable?
Original post by blvcknephilim
What does it mean if tuition fee loans aren't avaliable?

You would have to pay £9k to Oxford out of your own funds for your first year.
Original post by PQ
You would have to pay £9k to Oxford out of your own funds for your first year.

I figured aha. Well that's not an option anymore

Quick Reply

Latest