The Student Room Group

views on feminism.

gathering data for coursework, but I think its interesting to discuss this anyway. what do you guys think of feminism?

discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Hijacked by a few crazy folks who ended up becoming the stereotype for what feminists look and act like, effectively ruining any chance of what they've been campaigning for being taken seriously anymore.
Reply 2
Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
Hijacked by a few crazy folks who ended up becoming the stereotype for what feminists look and act like, effectively ruining any chance of what they've been campaigning for being taken seriously anymore.

I agree, but tbh, I don't see how the world needs feminism now anyway.
Original post by Sparks17

There are some aspects of it that I think are generally still relevant, but on the whole, I don't think it's as relevant as it once was.

If they want to successfully push their message on issues that still exist, they'd need to start a new movement and when they inevitably show up, dissociate themselves to the loonies that don't represent what it is the group is aiming to achieve.
Reply 4
Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
There are some aspects of it that I think are generally still relevant, but on the whole, I don't think it's as relevant as it once was.

If they want to successfully push their message on issues that still exist, they'd need to start a new movement and when they inevitably show up, dissociate themselves to the loonies that don't represent what it is the group is aiming to achieve.

yeah, and call it Equalism or something. its ironic naming a movement that supposedly stands for equality of both genders..... after one gender.
Stage 4 cancer
Reply 6
Original post by arizonaidiot
Stage 4 cancer

yes
its pretty great my dude
Reply 8
Original post by babsxox
its pretty great my dude

why is it great?

Because there are still many countries that treat women like **** and their rights are next to nothing?
why is it great?

because it promotes equality, isn't that obvious?

also before you say that western feminism is trash I would love to wonder why you would ask why I believe in it but then like agree with the dude who just said "stage 4 cancer".
Reply 11
Original post by 27FT
Because there are still many countries that treat women like **** and their rights are next to nothing?

a lot of it just down to their culture, not genuine sexism and malice though.
Reply 12
Original post by babsxox
because it promotes equality, isn't that obvious?

also before you say that western feminism is trash I would love to wonder why you would ask why I believe in it but then like agree with the dude who just said "stage 4 cancer". be consistent with your "coursework" uwu

as I said in the OP, this is intended to spark an interesting discussion, and in any case, feminism doesn't promote equality and what has feminism actually ever done for women?
Reply 13
as I said in the OP, this is intended to spark an interesting discussion, and in any case, feminism doesn't promote equality and what has feminism actually ever done for women?

Gave them the vote in England and to not be classified by law as property
Reply 14
Original post by Kiertan
Gave them the vote in England and to not be classified by law as property

that's great, however as a movement that apparently stands for 'equality' what has it ever done... for men?

Actually you specified that this was for coursework but it's also an interesting discussion, so I personally find it very interesting that you would agree with someone who makes such a generalising statement and not question them, but question someone who has a different opinion.

Feminism is kinda a mess right now, since it's been split into so many different subgroups that all have their own different ideas (pop feminism, inter-sectional feminism), but feminism, as a whole, generally promotes equality between the sexes. To say that it doesn't ignores virtually the past 50 years of social change.
that's great, however as a movement that apparently stands for 'equality' what has it ever done... for men?

Oh, so when you asked "what has it done for women" you actually meant "what has it done for men", which is literally irrelevant to your initial question.

:/
Reply 17
Original post by babsxox
Actually you specified that this was for coursework but it's also an interesting discussion, so I personally find it very interesting that you would agree with someone who makes such a generalising statement and not question them, but question someone who has a different opinion.

Feminism is kinda a mess right now, since it's been split into so many different subgroups that all have their own different ideas (pop feminism, inter-sectional feminism), but feminism, as a whole, generally promotes equality between the sexes. To say that it doesn't ignores virtually the past 50 years of social change.

feminism was great a few decades ago, but in modern times, it is useless, stupid and sexist. but of course, no one can say anything bad about feminism before its crazy members shout at you and say you're the one that's sexist.
feminism was great a few decades ago, but in modern times, it is useless, stupid and sexist. but of course, no one can say anything bad about feminism before its crazy members shout at you and say you're the one that's sexist.

Such a western-centric view. The entire world isn't like the US/Europe lol. there are still many women around the world trapped in patriarchal societies.

Also are you one of those dudes who watch like one video of a rad fem and think "wow, that's like all of them! all rad fems are the majority!"
Reply 19
Original post by babsxox
Oh, so when you asked "what has it done for women" you actually meant "what has it done for men", which is literally irrelevant to your initial question.

:/

if you were to actually think for once, you would work out that I am actually comparing the work that feminism has done for men and women, and you would see they are massively unequal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending