The Student Room Group

Pro choice or Pro life

for or against abortions.

discuss.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Can you be a bit more specific; exactly what are you aiming at? ie. abortion, etc.
Pro you-not-posting-any-more-threads
Reply 3
Original post by bloodredbeat
Can you be a bit more specific; exactly what are you aiming at? ie. abortion, etc.

yes, abortions.
Original post by Sparks17
yes, abortions.

Okay.

I believe it is a woman's decision what she does with her body.

And I do have more to add, but it may be unnecessary at the moment, so I'll hold off.
Reply 5
Okay.

I believe it is a woman's decision what she does with her body.

And I do have more to add, but it may be unnecessary at the moment, so I'll hold off.

I agree its the woman's right to do what she wants with her body, but does she have the right to do what she wants with her child's body?
I agree its the woman's right to do what she wants with her body, but does she have the right to do what she wants with her child's body?

I think, if the reason behind the choice is meaningful, then yes. And my "meaningful", I mean, in the best interests of the 'child'. A very short like of examples:

if the pregnancy is a product of rape

if the mother would be fully unable to care for another life

if the unborn has complex medical issues.

Reply 7
If the child was not aborted, would it grow up wishing it was? If the child was born, would the quality of life of the mother or child be so low that it would cause severe mental health implications? Or even, if the child was born, would it cause severe physical health implications for the Mother?

If yes, then an abortion should be acceptable, as it prevents further degradation of a family's quality of life.

If a Women is perfectly capable of birthing and raising her child with no social, environmental or economic difficulties, and the child would have an at least average quality of life, access to education and healthcare, then a child should not be aborted.
Reply 8
I think, if the reason behind the choice is meaningful, then yes. And my "meaningful", I mean, in the best interests of the 'child'. A very short like of examples:

if the pregnancy is a product of rape

if the mother would be fully unable to care for another life

if the unborn has complex medical issues.

the only one I strongly agree with is the last point, the first points are kind of grey areas for me.
the only one I strongly agree with is the last point, the first points are kind of grey areas for me.

Why "grey areas"?
Reply 10
Why "grey areas"?

I think the child's life is more important than the mother's opinions. I understand the mother may not want the child for some reason, but that's no excuse to kill it. if they really don't want it, can't they put it up for adoption or something?
Reply 11
Original post by *joshua*
If the child was not aborted, would it grow up wishing it was? If the child was born, would the quality of life of the mother or child be so low that it would cause severe mental health implications? Or even, if the child was born, would it cause severe physical health implications for the Mother?

If yes, then an abortion should be acceptable, as it prevents further degradation of a family's quality of life.

If a Women is perfectly capable of birthing and raising her child with no social, environmental or economic difficulties, and the child would have an at least average quality of life, access to education and healthcare, then a child should not be aborted.

agreed.
I think the child's life is more important than the mother's opinions. I understand the mother may not want the child for some reason, but that's no excuse to kill it. if they really don't want it, can't they put it up for adoption or something?

Well what I said was similar to what *joshua* said but in fewer words and in very loose terms; if the child being born is detrimental to their future life, then why would you willingly put someone through that?

It's easy to say that, but could you imagine being pregnant for nine months with a child you could not care for, then give it away? And sometimes, that's not even close to an option for some people. I'd imagine that 9 / 10, abortions are carried out very secretly.
I understand why you’re calling them grey areas, as there must be a set of standards or guidelines as to what is deemed a good or bad equality of life, and drawing those standards would come with controversy of its own. However using your own judgement, you can apply the general idea to many scenarios.

For example:
- (as mentioned above) if the child was a result of rape, the mother’s quality of life could be degraded so much that a serious mental illness could be initiated.
Reply 14
Well what I said was similar to what *joshua* said but in fewer words and in very loose terms; if the child being born is detrimental to their future life, then why would you willingly put someone through that?

It's easy to say that, but could you imagine being pregnant for nine months with a child you could not care for, then give it away? And sometimes, that's not even close to an option for some people. I'd imagine that 9 / 10, abortions are carried out very secretly.

if you love that child for months/weeks how can you just abort it? given the choice now, would you be aborted?
if you love that child for months/weeks how can you just abort it? given the choice now, would you be aborted?

Sorry, I don't quite get any of that...
I'm pro-choice because it's not my business what other people do to their bodies. It doesn't mean I think it's a good thing to treat it as retroactive contraception, but I have no business in controlling other people like this and neither does the government.
I simply think that abortions should only be done in the most EXTREME circumstances imaginable, aborting just because the woman wants to continue working or simply isn't ready is stupid, evil and sickening, showing selfishness and inhumanity to the core.

I would only be repeating myself if I answered this.

I think it's sad that women can be looked down on if they choose not to continue with a pregnancy because they are not ready, but that it's almost normal for the father of the child to leave / play no part in the child's life because he is not ready.

Can I ask, what is the real reasoning behind this thread?
Reply 18
I would only be repeating myself if I answered this.

I think it's sad that women can be looked down on if they choose not to continue with a pregnancy because they are not ready, but that it's almost normal for the father of the child to leave / play no part in the child's life because he is not ready.

Can I ask, what is the real reasoning behind this thread?

to spark a lively discussion maybe...
Original post by Manitude
It doesn't mean I think it's a good thing to treat it as retroactive contraception...

This is exactly what I meant earlier when I said that I had more to say but held back; it's not a go-to when you're constantly not adult enough to protect yourself during sex.

Quick Reply

Latest