The Student Room Group

Can't seem to get a job

I have applied for over 100 jobs in the past month, with no response from any of them. I did have a part time job in a cafe for a few months but it shut down and left me unemployed again.

I have handed out CVs to everywhere near me, even if they aren't hiring. All I ever see is my CV being binned as soon as I walk out the door.

I have plenty of experience. I volunteered in a charity shop for a year, where there was a cafe area and a shop, and I did work in both. I have also worked with children as I used to volunteer for a local cubs group. I stopped all of the volunteering a while ago as I was told the reason why I might not be getting hired is because I look too busy. I have made it clear on my CV that I have finished with these by dating how long I was there for.

It just seems like it's so easy for everyone else. Most people I know with absolutely no experience only apply for 20 jobs max before at least getting an interview. I haven't even reached that stage.

I have been to careers advisors and they're no help. They just tell me to keep trying and I'll get a job eventually since my CV shows I have plenty of experience in the roles I'm applying for. What am I doing wrong?
Original post by whatshouldido23
I have applied for over 100 jobs in the past month, with no response from any of them. I did have a part time job in a cafe for a few months but it shut down and left me unemployed again.

I have handed out CVs to everywhere near me, even if they aren't hiring. All I ever see is my CV being binned as soon as I walk out the door.

I have plenty of experience. I volunteered in a charity shop for a year, where there was a cafe area and a shop, and I did work in both. I have also worked with children as I used to volunteer for a local cubs group. I stopped all of the volunteering a while ago as I was told the reason why I might not be getting hired is because I look too busy. I have made it clear on my CV that I have finished with these by dating how long I was there for.

It just seems like it's so easy for everyone else. Most people I know with absolutely no experience only apply for 20 jobs max before at least getting an interview. I haven't even reached that stage.

I have been to careers advisors and they're no help. They just tell me to keep trying and I'll get a job eventually since my CV shows I have plenty of experience in the roles I'm applying for. What am I doing wrong?

From what I can tell, it may be the lack of qualifications. Do you have the standard 5 A*C including maths and English GCSE's?

As harsh as it sounds it could be because you're not physically attractive enough, if they're binning your CV without reading it as soon as you walk out the door then they've clearly already screened your looks and don't want you to work for them. Looks mean an awful lot to a lot of employers, a lot of them only want attractive people to be the face of their businesses in roles that are customer-facing.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by FloralHybrid
From what I can tell, it may be the lack of qualifications. Do you have the standard 5 A*C including maths and English GCSE's?

I'm from Scotland so I've done National 5s/Highers. I have my nat 5 maths (B) and higher english (A). I also have 2 other highers at A and three others at B. I don't think it's an issue that involves my education because I'd say I'm of average intelligence and am more than capable of doing the entry level jobs i'm applying for.
Original post by Glassapple
As harsh as it sounds it could be because you're not physically attractive enough, if they're binning your CV without reading it as soon as you walk out the door then they've clearly already screened your looks and don't want you to work for them. Looks mean an awful lot to a lot of employers, a lot of them only want attractive people to be the face of their businesses in roles that are customer-facing,

I'm not sure tbh. I'm certainly not attractive but I'm not extremely ugly either. I'd say about average. But most of the people in these places aren't extremely attractive either, so I'm not sure?

I might ask one of my more attractive friends to hand in a CV to one of these places and see if they get the same response.
I'm from Scotland so I've done National 5s/Highers. I have my nat 5 maths (B) and higher english (A). I also have 2 other highers at A and three others at B. I don't think it's an issue that involves my education because I'd say I'm of average intelligence and am more than capable of doing the entry level jobs i'm applying for.

Ah. Then I'm afraid I don't know. As someone above said, it could be something to do with your appearance or hygiene levels? (I'm not trying to assume anything about you as a person, I'm not not sure what the reason is) Or the way you structure your CV? Not sure.
Ah. Then I'm afraid I don't know. As someone above said, it could be something to do with your appearance or hygiene levels? (I'm not trying to assume anything about you as a person, I'm not not sure what the reason is) Or the way you structure your CV? Not sure.

I'd say I'm a very hygienic person. I shower every day and wash my hair regularly. I wear makeup everytime I go somewhere important, straighten my hair, and wear smart clothing. I'd say I look well presented and I do make an effort with my appearance if I go somewhere other than to see friends or go to college.

I've read a bunch of CV templates on how to format them so I'm not sure if that's a problem. There is someone I know of who will look through your CV and point out flaws for a fee, but I might regret it if they say my CV is fine and I've wasted money that I need for other things.
I'd say I'm a very hygienic person. I shower every day and wash my hair regularly. I wear makeup everytime I go somewhere important, straighten my hair, and wear smart clothing. I'd say I look well presented and I do make an effort with my appearance if I go somewhere other than to see friends or go to college.

I've read a bunch of CV templates on how to format them so I'm not sure if that's a problem. There is someone I know of who will look through your CV and point out flaws for a fee, but I might regret it if they say my CV is fine and I've wasted money that I need for other things.

What's the cost of that? There has to be a reason you've been turned down for 100 positions, it's unlikely that it's just that every single time they had a better applicant. (Possible, but not likely for this many) The fee may be worth paying if that ends up getting you a job.
What's the cost of that? There has to be a reason you've been turned down for 100 positions, it's unlikely that it's just that every single time they had a better applicant. (Possible, but not likely for this many) The fee may be worth paying if that ends up getting you a job.

I think it's either £20 or £25. I'll look into it but I'll need to wait because I have literally no money to spare until November sadly :frown:
I think it's either £20 or £25. I'll look into it but I'll need to wait because I have literally no money to spare until November sadly :frown:

Ahh okay. Well, I wish you the best of luck in your job hunt!
Ahh okay. Well, I wish you the best of luck in your job hunt!

Thank you :smile:
Reply 11

Use a CV review tool free of charge, they will point out mistakes and offer to fix them for a large fee, just use the free advice.

Also send your CV here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=339.
What work and types of places are you targeting? Are they advertising for vacancies or are you cold calling? How old are you, and how long have you been unemployed for? Have you considered going back into education?

There's no great secret to this, most people will have gone through a job hunt at some point. Keep with it, take up your volunteering again, and don't lose hope. Something will come along shortly (and if it doesn't, Royal Mail take on lots of extra staff around Christmas time!) Good luck.
Original post by SSD2001
Use a CV review tool free of charge, they will point out mistakes and offer to fix them for a large fee, just use the free advice.

Also send your CV here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=339.

Ok thank you, I've sent my CV to thestudentroom CV review and will have a look online about other CV reviewers :smile:
I've been trying since the moment I turned 16 to get a job. I am now 20 (and finally got one, after about 20 rejections to this place too) The job economy is horrible in this country. BTW if you pm me I'd be happy to look at your CV
what sort of jobs are you looking for?

My firt ever job was at Mcdonalds and as you may know they do not look at CV's
As fate would have it, I woke up to an email today asking me to come in for a trial shift at a cafe near my college. It's very weird that I got that the day after posting this but life works in mysterious ways. Thanks for the advice everyone, hoping I get the job! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending