The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Creative Writing SIngle Honours - A good choice?

HI everyone!
I'm interested in studying Creative Writing as a degree and I've heard completely mixed thoughts on it. Is it a good course to choose?
De Montfort are newly offering the single honours and I really like the sound of it but because it's a new course I'm just a bit nervous. My second choice is Derby and am attending their open day next week.

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
It's got a lot of controversy surrounding it as many think it's a useless degree, hence why it isn't offered by top universities. However, if that's your passion I'd pursue it. In my opinion though, you'd be better getting an English and Creative Writing degree or a straight English BA with lots of flexibility to take creative writing modules ie. Birmingham, Nottingham and Leeds. These are better respected and come with more job prospects after.

Creative writing as an MA is also an idea you could think about?

Hope this helps X
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Original post by springphoenix
HI everyone!
I'm interested in studying Creative Writing as a degree and I've heard completely mixed thoughts on it. Is it a good course to choose?
De Montfort are newly offering the single honours and I really like the sound of it but because it's a new course I'm just a bit nervous. My second choice is Derby and am attending their open day next week.

Thanks! :smile:

No idea if you've started this (in which case, I'll see you in a couple of weeks lol) but CW at DMU single hons is fantastic. We have a wide mix of ages 18 - 56 and fairly equal male/female. 4 staff lead the course - all published (although there's definitely a bias towards poetry as only 1 of the 4 is a novelist) The course, however, is well balanced between poetry and prose. Small group in the first year (although I hear it's extremely popular for 2018/19 start) so loads of personal tuition available. Excellent peer-to-peer creative and editing sessions. Only downside for me (and a few others) was having to chose a non CW module to make up the credits. There are 2, 15 credit modules which are purely for the single honours students and these, imho, have a greater intensity and workload than any of the other 30 credit modules (which are done alongside joint hons students). In second year we have the opportunity to do a CW in the workplace module (30 credits) with voluntary work out in the world, as well as the academic English/language modules as in 1st year.

If you're still undecided, come along to an open day, do a taster session and chat to current students. Good luck!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending