The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ishax
I sent screenshots of this thread to Cambridge University. I’m sure (if they want to look into it, I’m 98% sure they will want too). They will eventually find out who did it.

I hate cheaters. You deserve everything you get.

One day, eventually you will get your karma. I hope your masters is revoked.

I have no sympathy for you.

As much as I dislike cheating (since it basically spits in the face of all those who attained success by their own merit), you are the biggest arse in this thread, by far.

You're like a really crappy vigilante. Get off your frigging high horse.

People like you make mobs.
Original post by Kagutsuchi
As much as I dislike cheating (since it basically spits in the face of all those who attained success by their own merit), you are the biggest arse in this thread, by far.

You're like a really crappy vigilante. Get off your frigging high horse.

People like you make mobs.

Are you a cheater aswell? I hope you get caught :wink:

If OP accepted her mistakes, then it would be a different situation. She’s trying to make excuses for her actions.

Quite frankly, I don’t care about your opinion. Make your post, then leave. Why quote me?
Original post by JohnGreek
Cambridge can put 2+2 together. If the anonymous individual who is the OP shares the same material circumstances (degree, bf reported the cheat, graduation year) as someone who's already being investigated by the uni authorities, then it's pretty clear that we're talking about the same person. Besides, gauging from the OP's responses, I'd say that it's obvious that this thread is written by a real person with real concerns.

Either way, this is great drama, and I look forward to reading more about this on national news.

Still don’t see how these screenshots endanger the OP in any way when the information is so vague. They in no way even come close to revealing her identity and she clearly hasn’t previously been investigated by Cambridge as she was awarded what they believed to be a genuine degree.
Reply 83
Original post by Ishax

If OP accepted her mistakes, then it would be a different situation. She’s trying to make excuses for her actions.

Quite frankly, I don’t care about your opinion. Make your post, then leave. Why quote me?

This is a public forum, the point is to get into discussion and if people disagree with you then they are well within their rights to quote you.
If you go through the thread, I’ve approximateky made 2 posts then left I’ve been quoted, then responded.

If people didn’t quote me, then I wouldn’t have to respond.
Original post by UWS
This is a public forum, the point is to get into discussion and if people disagree with you then they are well within their rights to quote you.

I’m free to state my opinion. If people disagree then that’s their problem, not mine.

If I get quoted, I obviously going to respond and make my point? Yet I’m not being helpful.. Ah well! Life goes on :smile:
people do get jailed for using a fake degree to get work. im only aware of this in nursing and medicine. but im sure it applies across all sectors. the case ive heard about the nhs claims all the wages paid back. the person gets made to pay it all back and did jail time. if i remember rightly they even lost a home.

your obviously not entitled to the masters so every act that you have used it for is an act of misrepresentation. another criminal offence.

Cambridge itself could call the police. they would revoke your masters. you admit you committed at least 5 acts of fraud including having another do an entry test. if this is true its and they find out they would have no choice but to go after you.
all you can dois hope he has no proof copies of the fake essays reciepts for essays bought emails ect. if not your pretty safe. if he does and sends them your going to be done because its so blatant. one essay they may not bother with but nearly a full masters nope. if your employer finds out your sacked and then your chance of court goes up a lot.
Original post by Ishax

I started the reply by saying I dislike cheating - you're an intelligent one, I see.

The difference between you and me, is that I know my boundaries. I know if someone comes onto a public forum to discuss something bad they have done which has really harmed no one, I won't lynch them like a complete ass.

Hey, everyone, get a load of the sanctimonious executioner. Really, your bitterness is indicative of thin ego. Get over yourself.
Original post by paulbarlow
people do get jailed for using a fake degree to get work. im only aware of this in nursing and medicine. but im sure it applies across all sectors. the case ive heard about the nhs claims all the wages paid back. the person gets made to pay it all back and did jail time. if i remember rightly they even lost a home.

your obviously not entitled to the masters so every act that you have used it for is an act of misrepresentation. another criminal offence.

Cambridge itself could call the police. they would revoke your masters. you admit you committed at least 5 acts of fraud including having another do an entry test. if this is true its and they find out they would have no choice but to go after you.
all you can dois hope he has no proof copies of the fake essays reciepts for essays bought emails ect. if not your pretty safe. if he does and sends them your going to be done because its so blatant. one essay they may not bother with but nearly a full masters nope. if your employer finds out your sacked and then your chance of court goes up a lot.

But she does have a degree from Cambridge. It's not one she earned through her own merit, but she has one nonetheless.
I hope he reports you! Cheating is awful and that is basically his Masters, not yours, how shameful.
I hope for your sake that you're just a troll. If you're a troll, then please get a life. If you're not a troll, then I hope you haven't actually used your "degree" to get a job because that's going to land you in real trouble.

Why did you cheat, may I ask? I know you're an "International student" so English isn't your first language...but if you're a genuine person, you're obviously an able person for getting into Cambridge in the first place.
It's not her problem though. It's her benefit.

I wouldn't have bothered reporting anything myself, but the sight of many posters laying into this guy in defence of some fraudster who was stupid enough to post about it publicly is sort of weird.
Err, she gets to represent to the world that she has a master's degree from Cambridge, and this probably helped her secure the job she claims to have in a large company?

I'm sorry but the idea that it's as bad to report someone for running a scam as it is to run the scam in the first place is just bizarre.
Original post by amiintrouble
I'm in a bit of a fix and trying to figure out if I'm in real trouble. I was in a relationship while studying for my masters at Cambridge University. My start wasn't going too good as I am an international student and was overwhelmed by the University's curriculum as English isn't my first language.

He helped me with the English assessment and did the online test for me. Once I got to University, he helped redraft my post for discussion boards and talked me through engaging in a discussion. He also wrote a few of my assignments, a few meaning three. For things he couldn't help with, he hired ghost writing services to complete my assignment. We did use the submissions but also changed a lot of context to make it relevant. We're broken up now and he once mentioned he will send the emails to the university.

My question is, will the university take him seriously since I've already graduated? Do universities entertain complaints of plagiarism for students that graduated 5 years ago?

I am working with a Fortune 500 company now, wondering if that can affect my employment. Will I lose my degree? Can Cambridge University revoke my degree? Do I need a lawyer? or just expect the worst an pray nothing happens?

I know I did something wrong and I have corrected a lot of my mistakes. This has me troubled and I'm wondering if its better to come forward or just keep wondering?

Any advice would be appreciated, for that want to tell me how wrong this is, I know it is but I've done it already. Just struggling with owning up or letting it go.

It sounds like your boyfriend is trying to blackmail you.
I'm not sure I believe every word in the OP, but if a troll, it's quite a well worked out one.

If true, OP managed to get through interview and notwithstanding some material assistance at key points, continued and evidently did well on the course. It's hard to interpret this as anything other than a successful partial gaming of the Cambridge entrance system and points to continued success on the part of OP in the exciting world of management consulting, where I'm sure her particular skillset will gain maximum rewards.
Original post by JohanGRK
Ah, that's where the uncertainty comes in.

If the OP was investigated as a result of her bf's report, then the screenshots could be further evidence that could be added to an existing case file against her. There's a lot of the OP's personal stuff in this thread, enough for her to be matched to a real person.

On the other hand, if no investigation is under way, then I agree that they won't think of starting an investigation just because of a screenshot of a TSR thread. I imagine that they need more substantial accusations and evidence than what is offered here.

(Side Note: Why didn't Ishax send a link to the thread? Screenshots can be faked by anyone, TSR threads can't)

I sent both :smile:
Original post by Ishax
I sent both :smile:

:rofl:

Have Cambridge replied?
Original post by TimmonaPortella
It's not her problem though. It's her benefit.

I wouldn't have bothered reporting anything myself, but the sight of many posters laying into this guy in defence of some fraudster who was stupid enough to post about it publicly is sort of weird.

I’m a girl, but OP has made it public and didn’t make the thread anonymous.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
:rofl:

Have Cambridge replied?

Nope. Still waiting haha!
Original post by Ishax
I’m a girl, but OP has made it public and didn’t make the thread anonymous.

The thread being "anonymous" is only relevant on TSR, not real life.

Latest