The Student Room Group

No University after sixth form?

I'm not planning on going to University after Sixth Form. Any one else the same?
There's lots of people not going, it seems like it's becoming more unpopular. What will you do instead?
Reply 2
Original post by DrawTheLine
There's lots of people not going, it seems like it's becoming more unpopular. What will you do instead?

I was thinking of employment or an advanced apprenticeship.
Dumb thing to do unless you're certain you have future employment. Don't drop out of uni
Original post by zyzzyspirit
Dumb thing to do unless you're certain you have future employment. Don't drop out of uni

the OP isn't talking about dropping out of uni, rather not going in the first place
Reply 5

Original post by _gcx
the OP isn't talking about dropping out of uni, rather not going in the first place

Yeah I wasn't thinking of going. If I had already started attending then yeah it would be stupid of me to drop out to be honest.
Original post by _gcx

Even dumber then. Only reason I dropped out is cause I got a career at a large company, so pointless to waste money and time on education.

If you are just saying f.k it cause you're lazy then you're asking to become a bum. Go to university OP, don't be a *******
Reply 7
Even dumber then. Only reason I dropped out is cause I got a career at a large company, so pointless to waste money and time on education.

If you are just saying f.k it cause you're lazy then you're asking to become a bum. Go to university OP, don't be a *******

Well it really depends if Uni is going to be beneficial. Some of the courses people go on are a waste of time cause getting a career out of it is difficult.

My half-brother didn't go to uni and he's a successful accountant at 27, earning more than what my dad is earning now at 57 (who also didn't go to uni). My brother didn't go to uni and at 20 he's doing an apprenticeship with something to do with IT, earning a sh*t salary (but that's what apprentices get) but he'll progress soon.
Reply 9

Some people don't get on with the environment. Independent study isn't always beneficial and if you don't do well in it, then you're down about £24k with nothing to show for it. It's not the best choice for everyone
Original post by Tom K16
Well it really depends if Uni is going to be beneficial. Some of the courses people go on are a waste of time cause getting a career out of it is difficult.

There are loads of websites and companies that help sixth formers find apprenticeships and jobs. Definitely a good path to follow. A lot of people think that uni is the automatic progression from sixth form when there's other options. What career do you want to do?
Reply 11
Original post by Lennie99
Some people don't get on with the environment. Independent study isn't always beneficial and if you don't do well in it, then you're down about £24k with nothing to show for it. It's not the best choice for everyone

I suppose not. A lot of people seem to go just for the parties.

Original post by DrawTheLine
There are loads of websites and companies that help sixth formers find apprenticeships and jobs. Definitely a good path to follow. A lot of people think that uni is the automatic progression from sixth form when there's other options. What career do you want to do?

I'm not sure what career yet. Something to do with ICT or Business Studies.

Quick Reply

Latest