The Student Room Group

EPQ Ideas for Computer Science

im going to do an epq on compute science and im stuck on what topic to choose. can someone help :smile:
Hey I'm a gap year student I was also considering an epq, when is it that you have to finish it by? also do it on a topic that most appeals to you and you find most interesting or fun
Original post by Dreamville1
Hey I'm a gap year student I was also considering an epq, when is it that you have to finish it by? also do it on a topic that most appeals to you and you find most interesting or fun

I’ve got to finish it by next year may or November- depends. and yea I want to do it on computer science but idk which topic to choose
Original post by juliettetaylor
I’ve got to finish it by next year may or November- depends. and yea I want to do it on computer science but idk which topic to choose

What area of computing are you interested in? Cyber security, game development, etc. Then try and decide on a topic within that area. You could always talk to your computer science teacher. I know someone who did it on the security of modern cellular networks (essentially phones).
Prove the Collatz Conjecture :wink:

Spoiler

Seriously though, there are plenty of relevant options - you might want to look around some computer science forums/resources for ideas. However doing an EPQ just for the sake of it isn't really worth it - students usually get the best results, and the most out of it personally, if they use it as a platform to explore something they specifically are interested in - i.e. a particular problem, or result, they want to learn more about and explore, rather than generally wanting to do something related to a field of study.
Reply 5
Here's a good topic:

classical vs quantum computing. Obviously make a good question out of it
Original post by EpicMan
Here's a good topic:

classical vs quantum computing. Obviously make a good question out of it

Yeah, need a solid background in physics tho IMO.

Otherwise, some other things I considered for my EPQ:

- Artificial Intelligence - ethical considerations, uses, etc. Huge topic to explore here
- Writing code to contrast path finding algorithms such as Djikstra's, A* etc. in different use cases
- Algorithms to calculate skill rating in a game and what factors affect it - I was looking into this because I play csgo and overwatch a lot and the ranking systems interested me, as they're derived from the ELO system I believe. They're proprietary tho so might not have gotten very far.
- Looking into virtual reality as a technology
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending