The Student Room Group

Computing Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lemur14
Sorry, completely missed this!
I'm in year 12 and on OCR as well :smile: (I probably should have answered the questions myself :lol:)
I have the same problem in that I swapped language for A level (as I changed school), so I've gone from vb to java. If you need any help with vb then shout and I can give it a shot :smile:

I think i'll probably stick with python in the end. Using tkinter so that you have a GUI is a bit complicated sometimes but I'm getting there :smile:
Original post by thegalaxy
I think i'll probably stick with python in the end. Using tkinter so that you have a GUI is a bit complicated sometimes but I'm getting there :smile:

Yeah it's easier just to stick with what you know! I don't even understand what that sentence means :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14
Yeah it's easier just to stick with what you know! I don't even understand what that sentence means :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Basically so you know for A-level you need to have a GUI but at GCSE you don't? Usually python is just a text based language but tkinter is a module that allows you to have a GUI.
Basically so you know for A-level you need to have a GUI but at GCSE you don't? Usually python is just a text based language but tkinter is a module that allows you to have a GUI.

I don't even know what a GUI is... That sounds like a useful module though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14
I don't even know what a GUI is... That sounds like a useful module though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

GUI = graphical user interface
GUI = graphical user interface

Ahhh, we used object orientated stuff at GCSE so I hadn't matched it to the context!
Hello how would I run PHP/HTML webforms on phpMyAdmin any ideas :frown:
Hi! :-)
Year group/ Level of Study: Post-Graduate Masters' Computing Degree
Exam board if you know it: My University
What interests you about computing? Cyber Security, Statistical Analysis, RDBMS, BI, Concurrent and Distributed Systems.
Any topics you particularly hate? Not Massively. Web Development has become less exciting for me as the increase of web-development-automation and web-building sites
What programming languages do you use? Java, C++, JavaScript, PHP, SQL and JSON.

Any other Computing Science graduates or post-graduates on here? Quite interesting to share experiences. Cool to see so many people taking Computing at school level. A lot of people couldn't wait to drop it when I was at school.

~C
Original post by Lemur14
That's really cool, any particular unis you're considering?
Lool we're so similar!
I'd never heard of it either until we started using it :lol: I don't think it's very popular (because it's pretty bad tbh). I haven't moved off console applications on java yet so I don't really know the full functionality of anything... We're mostly making calculators and things like that so far so relatively simple but good for developing skills in a new language.

Posted from TSR Mobile

At the moment I quite like UCL and Imperial College London but I don't have a clue about my predicted grades so dont even know if its going to be option tbh. What about you?
IKRR!!
Ohh ok lol that doesnt sound ideal :lol: Ohh ok thats cool! Yeah that's true I remember we did that when we learnt python for the first time.
What other subjects do you take?
Original post by Shadow_12
At the moment I quite like UCL and Imperial College London but I don't have a clue about my predicted grades so dont even know if its going to be option tbh. What about you?
IKRR!!
Ohh ok lol that doesnt sound ideal :lol: Ohh ok thats cool! Yeah that's true I remember we did that when we learnt python for the first time.
What other subjects do you take?

Oooh nice unis! Yeah I have the same problem in regard to predicted grades...I literally have no clue what mine will be, but I have some unis that I want to apply for so hopefully they'll match up...I love Oxford, and I think I'd quite like to apply for Bristol and Durham as well, but we'll see how that pans out!
I take maths, further maths, chemistry and computing. Wbu?
Original post by Lemur14
Oooh nice unis! Yeah I have the same problem in regard to predicted grades...I literally have no clue what mine will be, but I have some unis that I want to apply for so hopefully they'll match up...I love Oxford, and I think I'd quite like to apply for Bristol and Durham as well, but we'll see how that pans out!
I take maths, further maths, chemistry and computing. Wbu?

Thanks!! Cool!!! Your unis are nice too! Hopefully it works out well for you! :biggrin:
Nicee!! That's a really good combination of subjects! I take maths, computing and biology. How are you finding them so far?
Thanks!! Cool!!! Your unis are nice too! Hopefully it works out well for you! :biggrin:
Nicee!! That's a really good combination of subjects! I take maths, computing and biology. How are you finding them so far?

You too!
It might be a nice combo, but even in my college of over 3500 people I can't find anyone with it! Everyone takes physics rather than chemistry...That's an interesting combo, don't think I know anyone with that particular set :lol: Not too bad, although chemistry is a complete nightmare due to my teacher :frown: How are you finding yours?
Hey! I’m Emily!

Year Group/ Level of Study: Year 13 so second year of A Level Computer Science.
Exam Board: OCR
What interests you about computing? The practical element, coding to solve problems etc.
Any topics you particularly hate? Eh, some of the theory covered in OCR is a little dull but my biggest gripe right now is the coursework, it’s reducing me to tears.
What programming languages do you use? Java :smile:

Seriously though if anyone has any coursework top tips HMU because I’m nearing the end of the design stage and I’m really struggling right now.
Original post by Lemur14
You too!
It might be a nice combo, but even in my college of over 3500 people I can't find anyone with it! Everyone takes physics rather than chemistry...That's an interesting combo, don't think I know anyone with that particular set :lol: Not too bad, although chemistry is a complete nightmare due to my teacher :frown: How are you finding yours?

Omigosh ur college is massive!!! Really? One of my friends does maths, fm, chem, physics and computing (she is insanely clever which is the reason she still alive while doing 5:lol:) so i guess that quite similar to yours. Ideally I would have gone for physics instead of bio but the physics teachers at our school are really bad so i didn't want to risk not understanding, and the bio department in general were amazing even at gcse. Thats good! Aww no!! Iv heard chem is quite horrible. Same, im not finding them too bad but im dreading bio cos already we have to memorise soo much (cell structure and stuff) and I literally have the memory of a goldfish so that's terrific. :bawling:
Original post by Revolver72
Hi! :-)
Year group/ Level of Study: Post-Graduate Masters' Computing Degree
Exam board if you know it: My University
What interests you about computing? Cyber Security, Statistical Analysis, RDBMS, BI, Concurrent and Distributed Systems.
Any topics you particularly hate? Not Massively. Web Development has become less exciting for me as the increase of web-development-automation and web-building sites
What programming languages do you use? Java, C++, JavaScript, PHP, SQL and JSON.

Any other Computing Science graduates or post-graduates on here? Quite interesting to share experiences. Cool to see so many people taking Computing at school level. A lot of people couldn't wait to drop it when I was at school.

~C

Haha cool!!! Tbh most of the people in my school couldn't wait to drop it too. At gcse we had a class of 30 (of which more than 70% were forced to do it cos at our school we have to take a humanities, language and creative and people assumed computing to be the least effort creative). Now we are reduced down to just 6 people :lol:. According to my teacher there was only 3 people doing comp sci at a level last year so i guess it has significantly increased.
Omigosh ur college is massive!!! Really? One of my friends does maths, fm, chem, physics and computing (she is insanely clever which is the reason she still alive while doing 5:lol:) so i guess that quite similar to yours. Ideally I would have gone for physics instead of bio but the physics teachers at our school are really bad so i didn't want to risk not understanding, and the bio department in general were amazing even at gcse. Thats good! Aww no!! Iv heard chem is quite horrible. Same, im not finding them too bad but im dreading bio cos already we have to memorise soo much (cell structure and stuff) and I literally have the memory of a goldfish so that's terrific. :bawling:

Yeah it is! Seemingly yes, although obviously I haven't met everyone at my college even those taking similar subjects! 5? And I thought 4 was bad...
I almost ended up with maths, FM, chemistry and physics because the computing results at my college are awful, but in the end I decided I really didn't want to do physics so went for computing even though the last time they had an A*in the department was 2013, and they usually only get around 3 As... obviously results aren't everything seeing as I'm finding computing much better than chemistry and the chemistry results are much better!
I'm sure your memory will improve over 2 years :smile: especially if you're constantly consolidating like my college keeps going on about!
Reply 36

Year group/ Level of Study: Year 12 - First year of A level
Exam board if you know it: OCR
What interests you about computing? The limitless possibilities =D
Any topics you particularly hate? I don't particularly enjoy the hardware side of things but apart from that I love it all lol
What programming languages do you use? Mostly Python as its the one iv been using for the past few years and the one I did for GCSE too. I know a little JavaScript and HTML and am learning VB and Java at the moment for A level.

I love the Hardware side.... Loathe the Software side.
Original post by Lemur14
Yeah it is! Seemingly yes, although obviously I haven't met everyone at my college even those taking similar subjects! 5? And I thought 4 was bad...
I almost ended up with maths, FM, chemistry and physics because the computing results at my college are awful, but in the end I decided I really didn't want to do physics so went for computing even though the last time they had an A*in the department was 2013, and they usually only get around 3 As... obviously results aren't everything seeing as I'm finding computing much better than chemistry and the chemistry results are much better!
I'm sure your memory will improve over 2 years :smile: especially if you're constantly consolidating like my college keeps going on about!

IKR! 5 is crazy!
Yeah results aren't everything and its good you took the subject you enjoyed more :smile: . I guess overall chem is a more popular subject so the percentage of people with lower grades would be lower, but in computing generally less people do it so the lower grades would bring the average down more than chem.
Thank you! I hope so! I'm trying and so far mostly failing :frown: so not looking too brilliant but im finding it quite interesting so hopefully that would help in the long run. :colondollar:
IKR! 5 is crazy!
Yeah results aren't everything and its good you took the subject you enjoyed more :smile: . I guess overall chem is a more popular subject so the percentage of people with lower grades would be lower, but in computing generally less people do it so the lower grades would bring the average down more than chem.
Thank you! I hope so! I'm trying and so far mostly failing :frown: so not looking too brilliant but im finding it quite interesting so hopefully that would help in the long run. :colondollar:

Results aren't everything, but with the unis I want to apply for then they were quite a big concern for me unfortunately. That was part of my considerations, although with no A*s since 2013, and very few As then it did seem slightly off to me. But perhaps I can be the first A* in years...me thinks not, but it would be nice!
I'm sure it will :smile: Interesting definitely will help! Or at least make you want to do it...
How is everyone find their courses at the moment?
We're doing legislation this week, which is a bit boring, but otherwise it's going good for me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending