The Student Room Group

4th a level for medicine, economics or physics?URGENT!

I have to do a 4th a level because my school won't allow anyone to do 3.Im doing biology,chemistry and maths .I started with history and switched to economics and now Im trying out physics and I have to pick asap preferably by tomorrow (friday) I want to stick to physics or go back to economics.Im just worried if I do economics I would be at a big disadvantage if I apply for medicine to Cambridge,Imperial and Ucl which Im aiming for,but physics is harder but economics is not facilitating and a bit useless but I missed the whole unit of electricity in physics.Whats most important is getting into medicine ao what should I do??!!

Scroll to see replies

I think do the easier one.
Can anyone else give advice this is very urgent,I need to decide today!
from personal experience, go with eco. the physics workload as a 4th a level is just too much. at the end of the day its ur decision, but imo i would go with eco. (fyi, i dropped physics whilst doing economics.)
Original post by zain170701
from personal experience, go with eco. the physics workload as a 4th a level is just too much. at the end of the day its ur decision, but imo i would go with eco. (fyi, i dropped physics whilst doing economics.)

Im worried it would affect my medical application especially for universities like Cambridge and imperial, as economics is seen as a soft subject.I want someone to confirm if that is the truth or not?
Original post by Anonymous1502
Im worried it would affect my medical application especially for universities like Cambridge and imperial, as economics is seen as a subject.I want someone to confirm if that is the truth or not?

economics would make ur app. look a bit more diverse. did u do eco at gcse? its a bit like that, just more writing. just focus on ur ukcat and work experience and everything should be fine. good luck!
Are you doing A2 this year? I did physics AS last year btw so I can give you advice. I dropped this subject as it was the most difficult out of all of the sciences
Original post by TSlayerr
Are you doing A2 this year? I did physics AS last year btw so I can give you advice. I dropped this subject as it was the most difficult out of all of the sciences

No AS and have to decide by today!Are you applying for medicine?Tell em as much about physic a level as you can,give me all your pearls of wisdom!
I have to do a 4th a level because my school won't allow anyone to do 3.Im doing biology,chemistry and maths .I started with history and switched to economics and now Im trying out physics and I have to pick asap preferably by tomorrow (friday) I want to stick to physics or go back to economics.Im just worried if I do economics I would be at a big disadvantage if I apply for medicine to Cambridge,Imperial and Ucl which Im aiming for,but physics is harder but economics is not facilitating and a bit useless but I missed the whole unit of electricity in physics.Whats most important is getting into medicine ao what should I do??!!

Hey,

Im applying for medicine as well and am doing biology, chem, maths and eco. If you enjoy eco then go with it, if you enjoy physics then go with that. You won't be at a disadvantage by not doing physics. The only time you need physics for medicine is for a few questions on the BMAT entrance test but even then GCSE knowledge is enough.

A lot of cambridge applicants apply with triple science & maths but I know UCL like if your fourth A level is a contrasting subject e.g. a social study, language or art.

TL;DR - if you like eco, go with it. Its not that much harder than GCSE :smile:
Good Luck
I'd say do physics.

If you're doing medicine, it goes Chemistry>Biology>Physics/Maths. In an extremely competitive application process you need measurable advantages. Remember that a large proportion of maths will be essentially like physics as well, and chemistry helps a lot with physics and vice versa. It's not a completely new A level like economics. So much content will be in maths and chemistry.
Original post by djdubzzy
Hey,

Im applying for medicine as well and am doing biology, chem, maths and eco. If you enjoy eco then go with it, if you enjoy physics then go with that. You won't be at a disadvantage by not doing physics. The only time you need physics for medicine is for a few questions on the BMAT entrance test but even then GCSE knowledge is enough.

A lot of cambridge applicants apply with triple science & maths but I know UCL like if your fourth A level is a contrasting subject e.g. a social study, language or art.

TL;DR - if you like eco, go with it. Its not that much harder than GCSE :smile:
Good Luck

What universities did you apply to, and what about imperial?Do you think Cambridge will not look at me favourably because economics is soft and not that hard and it's not facilitating or do you think they wouldn't care at all?
How well did u do in your GCSE physics?
IMO, if you want to do well (A/B grade) you’re going to have to put a lot of work into physics because it’s difficult. I’ve put a lot of time (about 6hrs a week) outside college doing physics revision and this was the only subject where I didn’t get an A in AS. I struggled to fully understand concepts in physics. For biology, I didn’t have to spend much time and still I got an A, but I think it really depends on the person though.
Have you thought about maybe doing psychology cause I hear a lot of medical students do this as their fourth?
How well did u do in your GCSE physics?
IMO, if you want to do well (A/B grade) you’re going to have to put a lot of work into physics because it’s difficult. I’ve put a lot of time (about 6hrs a week) outside college doing physics revision and this was the only subject where I didn’t get an A in AS. I struggled to fully understand concepts in physics. For biology, I didn’t have to spend much time and still I got an A, but I think it really depends on the person though.
Have you thought about maybe doing psychology cause I hear a lot of medical students do this as their fourth?

I got an A* My school doesnt offer psychology.What unis are you applying to?And what do medical schools think of economics,unis like imperial and cambridge?
Reply 14

You have 3 sciences so just pick whatever 4th subject you enjoy/will do well at.
I’m thinking of UEA and UCL. I don’t think that you not taking physics will disadvantage you as most unis only look at Bio, Chem. As long as you do well in those subjects and in your UKCAT, you should be fine.
I’m thinking of UEA and UCL. I don’t think that you not taking physics will disadvantage you as most unis only look at Bio, Chem. As long as you do well in those subjects and in your UKCAT, you should be fine.

I want to apply to mostly BMAT universities and maybe 1 UKCAT?

Which do you think is most interesting? I doubt either is extremely useful. Remember that Physics is pretty intensive and very math-heavy.
Choose the easiest one. They don't care about 4th A-levels, they want 3. A lot of bogus advice given on this thread. The reason they want 3 and don't give advtanges to people who take 4 is because they don't want to disadvantage students who come from schools that don't allow them to take 4 (esp from poorer backgrounds). If you don't believe me then get in touch with them yourself :smile:
Reply 19
Oxbridge and Imperial are the only medical schools who care about science A levels beyond Chemistry and Biology (and UCL actively state they favour a non-science 3rd A level) and this they now only go as far as a requirement for a 3rd A level being a science subject/maths (98% successful applicants at Cambridge have 3 or more science/maths A levels). Since the start of reformed A levels, there is only QUB and Manchester (I think) that require a 4th AS or A level (or similar), though Oxbridge will consider it if it is there. So if you have to do one, do the one you are most likely to get the highest grade in, as you are more likely to be looked down on for a B in Physics than you are for an A in Economics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending