The Student Room Group

Actuary

Okay so I am doing a Maths Degree at a Top 20 Russell Group Uni , I have just started my course this September , I wanted to ask in terms of Work Exp, how much do I need and how many years does it to take to become an actuary?

Scroll to see replies

No idea mate, but I'm interested in this career path too. Hope you get a response soon. :smile:
Original post by OGGUS
Actuary is a haram job btw

Not relevant, and it's not, as the former head of PwC Islamic Finance was a practicing Muslim and fully qualified actuary.

For OP: the IFoA indicates it normally takes 3-6 years, where you're normally working as a trainee and taking the exams and practical modules.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by OGGUS

Imam OGGUS at it again :rofl:
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Not relevant, and it's not, as the former head of PwC Islamic Finance was a practicing Muslim and fully qualified actuary.

For OP: the IFoA indicates it normally takes 3-6 years, where you're normally working as a trainee and taking the exams and practical modules.

Just because someone does it, doesn't make it halal.
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger

Do you know what the pay is for a trainee?
& Thank you for replying :h:
Reply 6
Original post by OGGUS

Tell me whats haram about it?
Reply 7
Original post by Lychee627
Tell me whats haram about it?

Writing down interest and insurance stuff.
Just google this, It has been asked so many times already
3 years of relevant work experience is needed as a minimum to qualify as a fellow.

Original post by OGGUS

If anything insurance is more against Jewish law that it is Islamic law.
Reply 10
Original post by Ganjaweed Rebel
3 years of relevant work experience is needed as a minimum to qualify as a fellow.

If anything insurance is more against Jewish law that it is Islamic law.

I was talking about interest:h:
I should have just VMed OP:colonhash:
Original post by OGGUS
I was talking about interest:h:
I should have just VMed OP:colonhash:

First of all the Islamic usury laws refer to immoral ways of making money generally and further to this discounting cash flows to work out net present values isn't the same as passively earning money from loans.
Reply 12
First of all the Islamic usury laws refer to immoral ways of making money generally and further to this discounting cash flows to work out net present values isn't the same as passively earning money from loans.

I don't wanna derail the thread.
I know it's haram. No point of arguing with you.
Original post by OGGUS
I don't wanna derail the thread.
I know it's haram. No point of arguing with you.

You already did.
So is your mortgage and student loan.
Reply 14
Original post by OGGUS

Not really , and whats haraam is making interest money , me writing down numbers is haraam now?
Not really , and whats haraam is making interest money , me writing down numbers is haraam now?

Exactly. Benefiting from usury is haram, discounting values using percentages obviously isn't.
Reply 16
Exactly. Benefiting from usury is haram, discounting values using percentages obviously isn't.

Well ikr , there isnt only one sector in Actuary which is making interest :facepalm:
where r u studying and what is the course like
Reply 18
Original post by Mystery.
Just google this, It has been asked so many times already

Well who is telling you to click on this thread? Go read another thread if you are keen to read.
Well ikr , there isnt only one sector in Actuary which is making interest :facepalm:

I'm not trying to convince this is Haram since I know gambling is Haram, but as an exercise in proving how thoughtless that OGGUS fellow is being. Pensions and insurance is more similar to placing bets than it is to giving loans.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending