The Student Room Group

Guys, what does calling a girl "cute" really mean??

There's a boy at uni whom I think likes me, he's flirty sometimes but other times just stares at his phone and quiet around me. He definitely doesn't chase much though he does smile a lot when he sees me.

I heard him telling his friends after they stopped talking to me the other day, "(my name) is SOOOO cute."

Thing is I think Im only slightly above average haha. I'm tired of being seen as girl next door type.

Is calling a girl "cute" not as good as calling her pretty or beautiful?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
There's a boy at uni whom I think likes me, he's flirty sometimes but other times just stares at his phone and quiet around me. He definitely doesn't chase much though he does smile a lot when he sees me.

I heard him telling his friends after they stopped talking to me the other day, "(my name) is SOOOO cute."

Thing is I think Im only slightly above average haha. I'm tired of being seen as girl next door type.

I d take it as a positive comment, why not try and speak to him?
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
I d take it as a positive comment, why not try and speak to him?

I do :colondollar: could it not mean he really fancies me tho?
well, speak to him, you'll never know until you try.
I do :colondollar: could it not mean he really fancies me tho?

You won't know until you ask, take the first step :smile:
Cute is good. I've said it about my gf a few times, it usually means you're a bit passive or taken aback by something - for example I used to wind her up and say something really grim or out there or harsh and because she wasn't used to it she'd make a ridiculously surprised face and get all flustered. That was cute.

It can be just another word for hot or pretty but usually has a couple of extra connotations.
I'd say cute is especially good when they don't think you're there
Reply 7
You won't know until you ask, take the first step :smile:

Im too shy lol :P

Original post by GonvilleBromhead
Cute is good. I've said it about my gf a few times, it usually means you're a bit passive or taken aback by something - for example I used to wind her up and say something really grim or out there or harsh and because she wasn't used to it she'd make a ridiculously surprised face and get all flustered. That was cute.

It can be just another word for hot or pretty but usually has a couple of extra connotations.

ok

I'd say cute is especially good when they don't think you're there

Idk if he knew I could overhear or not

do you think he wanted me to hear :P

If you wanna rank compliment words I think cute and beautiful are on the same level, at least that's how I'd use it. If he's quiet perhaps he's just a bit shy?
In my vocab cute is functionally the same as hot/pretty/etc. So to answer this question:

It can be as good, if not better.
Original post by TSRDiablo
If you wanna rank compliment words I think cute and beautiful are on the same level, at least that's how I'd use it. If he's quiet perhaps he's just a bit shy?

really? I thought cute < beautiful. i guess he meant it as a compliment tho? :colondollar:

Original post by Retired_Messiah
In my vocab cute is functionally the same as hot/pretty/etc. So to answer this question:

It can be as good, if not better.

Doesn't it have passive connotations like the other guy said tho?

thanks btw
really? I thought cute < beautiful. i guess he meant it as a compliment tho? :colondollar:

Yeah, there's no bad connotations to 'cute', at all. It's a compliment :smile:
EDIT: sorry for screwing up the quote haha
My way of thinking of it is that 'cute' describes a girl you'd like to cuddle, 'hot' describes a girl you'd like to ****. At least in my mind, 'cute' is better overall, speaking of personality as well as looks, and is certainly better for a relationship, whilst 'hot' would be more one night stand material/
More respectful than saying hot and less difficult to say than beautiful. I’d say he thinks you’re gf material.
Doesn't it have passive connotations like the other guy said tho?

thanks btw

I don't really know what "passive connotations" actually means to be perfectly honest. When I use cute it means they're at least as attractive as somebody I'd call hot or some other ****. I do tend to use different words for different types of people tho, but I'm not particularly sure what the types are 'cause I don't really think about wtf I'm saying 99% of the time.
Reply 15
pretty enough. not a hottie though

A 'cute' girl means you would defo be down to cuddle. Probably use adorable for a girl you weren't interested in. It depends on the person. Boys don't tend to use extravagant words like pretty, beautiful or gorgeous when with their friend groups.
(edited 6 years ago)
I think 'cute' is very positive and in my opinion means he probably does fancy you. You don't often call your buddy cute - at least not if you were not already close. As far as being tired of being 'the girl next door' type - embrace it!! Guys who like to get around will most likely leave you alone. You don't want to be used by them anyway. When they are ready to actually settle into a real relationship you'll be the girl who goes to the top of the line. I think guys like a girl that seems 'girl next-doorish' for the long haul; but if behind the scenes she doesn't act like the proverbial 'girl next door' when they are in private he'll like that. Does that make sense.
Anyway, you keep being you and embrace being respectfully called cute - especially since he didn't know you could hear him and flirt w/ him a bit. He could stand silently on his cell phone because he wants to be near you but is kind of nervous himself and just doesn't know what to say. Talk to him, look him in the eye while he's talking, laugh at his attempt at humor, and if possible on occasion touch his upper arm or forearm. I think you'll find he fancies you. Good Luck!
It means he shows an interest in you. Boy's are not often that mysterious lol, they usually mean what they say which is why you shouldn't vent to us :biggrin:. Go flirt with him or something, its better being called cute-it means he doesn't see as a **** object. Good luck!
I think cute can refer to you're looks and/or you're personality but it sounds good as you mentioned he mentioned it to someone else when he thought you weren't around, you should try be more confident and get closer to him or something :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending