The Student Room Group

International Development Reading Ideas

Wanting to study international development/NGO management next year, currently have way too much time and wondering if anyone knows of any good reading that might give me a little head start for studying
Original post by marshalld67
Wanting to study international development/NGO management next year, currently have way too much time and wondering if anyone knows of any good reading that might give me a little head start for studying
This may help

http://foreignpolicy.com/2009/04/09/my-top-ten-books-every-student-of-international-relations-should-read/

Someone else who has a clue might post, and if their suggestion is something a bit more hip and edgy then go with that too.:wink:
Variance is good.:smile:
Original post by 04MR17
This may help

http://foreignpolicy.com/2009/04/09/my-top-ten-books-every-student-of-international-relations-should-read/

Someone else who has a clue might post, and if their suggestion is something a bit more hip and edgy then go with that too.:wink:
Variance is good.:smile:

Thank you! Ive noticed there aren't so many international development students on here because i rarely get answers relating directly to the subject!
Original post by marshalld67
Thank you! Ive noticed there aren't so many international development students on here because i rarely get answers relating directly to the subject!
I am aware of one.

@Michiyo :h:
Reply 4
Original post by 04MR17
I am aware of one.

@Michiyo :h:

I am studying International Relations, sorry! :hide:

However, if there is anything I can help with anyway, please do go ahead and tell me :grin:
Original post by Michiyo

However, if there is anything I can help with anyway, please do go ahead and tell me :grin:
:facepalm: I can't read.:frown:
Original post by Michiyo

everyone seems to be studying relations instead of development! If I'm correct relations is more political and theory focused and development is more under- developed countries and the process of development.

I think I've made the good choice as I'm specifically looking into NGO management careers. I just want to find some info I can read into to learn something while I've got free time. Do you know any basic topics you found interesting before you started studying or first started relations? thanks!
Read Development Theory by Jan Nederveen Pieterse for an introduction to the theoretical debates.

Studying development at PG level is a lot more complicated than chucking bags of rice off a helicopter and swooping in to 'save' people from their 'underdevelopment'.
Original post by worldender
Read Development Theory by Jan Nederveen Pieterse for an introduction to the theoretical debates.

Studying development at PG level is a lot more complicated than chucking bags of rice off a helicopter and swooping in to 'save' people from their 'underdevelopment'.

Thanks!

I probably should have previously mentioned it - its undergrad I'm applying to as a mature student, I'm 21. Also, I'm fully aware its very complicated and that's why I want to study it. Ive had experience volunteering before in the Philippines (not voluntourism), I've spent the last few years looking into NGOs and Development to see whether its possible to work your way up without a degree but the general consensus is that you need the base knowledge from a degree

so while I wait for hopeful offers I'm trying to teach myself some basics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending