The Student Room Group

Would you choose year 0 vs an Access course?

please state why too :smile:
thank you

PS Mature student
Original post by KatK2014
thank you

PS Mature student

Depends what qualifications you have prior to your application and how many years out of education you have had considering you are a mature student. If your qualifications are older than five years then I'd recommend an Access course as it will ease you into university style work and you won't be struggling.
Im going for year 0. I want to study international development and UEL offers a 4 year course for it. I could do a social science access course but then id be doing a year of psychology/sociology/criminology which isn't really going to be any use to me other than get me into a uni. I found the foundation year attached to the bachelor degree is so much more focused and related to what i want to study as it flows into the degree.

I would recommend having a look at the modules and seeing how different they are. See if you'd be happy doing an access course based on what it teaches. Access courses open your options more because you can then apply to several places, especially if the unis you want to go to dont offer year 0. Theyre also SIGNIFICANTLY CHEAPER. An access in my town costs around 3000, a foundation costs 9000 same as uni.

Im 21 so considered mature, just spent the last 3 years traveling the world and learning. My grades weren't that great at a level and i hated essay writing so either access or foundation will be really helpful for me
Reply 3
I would like veterinary medicine.I believe the Access would be "easier" as it would motivate me more to learn the modules I will use later at Uni.
Am I thinking right?

I would not be very happy learning how cars work for example in Physics if the syllabus would be more varied.For the same reason I think Access to medicine would be more enjoyable compared to Access to sciences or anything similar that would give me the credits I need for each subject.
Reply 4
Original post by dontgivea
Depends what qualifications you have prior to your application and how many years out of education you have had considering you are a mature student. If your qualifications are older than five years then I'd recommend an Access course as it will ease you into university style work and you won't be struggling.

Do you mean that year 0 is a completely different way of teaching compared to the Access and it would not really prepare me well for the rest of the years at Uni?(I know Access does prepare you well enough compared to a BTEC, I just didn't know the difference to year 0)
thank you

PS Mature student

Depends on the uni.

year 0 at a really top uni possibly, but otherwise Access as its cheaper.
Do you mean that year 0 is a completely different way of teaching compared to the Access and it would not really prepare me well for the rest of the years at Uni?(I know Access does prepare you well enough compared to a BTEC, I just didn't know the difference to year 0)

Sorry, I should have mentioned a key point. The year 0 will use an extra year of funding meaning you pay back four years of your tuition fees and not three like a standard degree, whereas the Access course you can get an Advanced Learning loan which means if you get into university you do not have to pay this back once you have completed your degree and do not incur any debt.
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
Depends on the uni.

year 0 at a really top uni possibly, but otherwise Access as its cheaper.

Liverpool
Liverpool

Its up to you.

Foundation course advanatge

= get to enjoy uni early.
= If you do ok then you dont have to worry about UCAS as you will get a place on your chosen course.
- get t understand how the uni works and get used to lecturers. Lots of year 0 tend to be at an associated college.

In contrast Access

Access course= free to apply to most unis for a variety of courses.
Study at college not uni, so no uni life, but staying local can be an advantage..
Bit riskier with needing to get the correct grades.
If you havent done A levels then finish your degree ok then the money for the Access course is written off.

So cost basis

Potentially £0 for Access v whatever year o costs? maybe £12k? Fees+ maint?

Ps id be surprised if you had trouble getting into Liverpool with the right grades.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Sorry, I should have mentioned a key point. The year 0 will use an extra year of funding meaning you pay back four years of your tuition fees and not three like a standard degree, whereas the Access course you can get an Advanced Learning loan which means if you get into university you do not have to pay this back once you have completed your degree and do not incur any debt.

I didn't know that, thank you.That is very important.
The whole course is 5 years, I will owe 45000+ already, I don't want it to be 54000+
Oh I forgot to add you get funding for degree length + gift/ spare year.
Doing year 0 will use up that gift year.
Reply 11
Original post by 999tigger
Oh I forgot to add you get funding for degree length + gift/ spare year.
Doing year 0 will use up that gift year.

That is great information.I would struggle to travel so far for the interview and I assume I would have to stay overnight.Also I would have to take my little one out of school and take him with me.
I would be happy being with people from Liverpool as I have seen and heard that people are so friendly up north, but I adore London and would prefer to be there.
But the extra money I would owe and the gift year are very important factors to consider.
Out of curiosity, is the year zero as hard as an access?

And last, which other access apart from the access to medicine gives all these credits?(15 Chemistry and 15 Biology).
That is great information.I would struggle to travel so far for the interview and I assume I would have to stay overnight.Also I would have to take my little one out of school and take him with me.
I would be happy being with people from Liverpool as I have seen and heard that people are so friendly up north, but I adore London and would prefer to be there.
But the extra money I would owe and the gift year are very important factors to consider.
Out of curiosity, is the year zero as hard as an access?

And last, which other access apart from the access to medicine gives all these credits?(15 Chemistry and 15 Biology).

Sorry scrap that advice I see its the the vet med section so different factors apply.

Find out how many go form their year 0 onto the main course. Year 0 would have the advantage because provided you pass the exams, then they say you get a guaranteed spot or not. Access will not give you that, far from it.

I would also find out their attitude to Access courses.

I would look into A levels for greater depth of knowledge and flexibility as you will be able to apply to any of the vet schools. I dont think everyone accepts Access.

I would also check if the no resit policy applies, in which case I would only start studying A levels once I was sure I was ready. That might mean a year of self taught prep as you cant afford to fail.
(edited 6 years ago)

Veterinary medicine degrees are 5/6 years and year 0 isn’t counted in these years. Fully funded.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending