The Student Room Group

EEA migrant worker maintanance loan

Hi, I am a third year student and I have been living and working in London for the last three years. As this is my final year I wanted to apply for the Maintanance loan. I have all the necessary evidence and I'll carry on working throughout the whole year.

1)How do I know if I'm eligible for the grant?
2)What happens if I lose the job? Will they take back the Tuition fees too?
Original post by leti.alia
Hi, I am a third year student and I have been living and working in London for the last three years. As this is my final year I wanted to apply for the Maintanance loan. I have all the necessary evidence and I'll carry on working throughout the whole year.

1)How do I know if I'm eligible for the grant?
2)What happens if I lose the job? Will they take back the Tuition fees too?

Hi alia,

There is lots of information on The Student Room on applying as a Migrant Worker, but I've attached a link

http://bit.ly/2xDcQxe

If you were accepted as a Migrant Worker then lost your job, through no fault of your own you may retain your status for a time, if you can show that you are actively seeking employment. If you voluntarily leave a job you will loose your Migrant Worker status, but would still, as an EU student, be entitled to the Tuition Fee Loan.

Thanks Rona
Reply 2
Original post by Rona SFE
Hi alia,

There is lots of information on The Student Room on applying as a Migrant Worker, but I've attached a link

http://bit.ly/2xDcQxe

If you were accepted as a Migrant Worker then lost your job, through no fault of your own you may retain your status for a time, if you can show that you are actively seeking employment. If you voluntarily leave a job you will loose your Migrant Worker status, but would still, as an EU student, be entitled to the Tuition Fee Loan.

Thanks Rona

Thanks for your answer. What I don't really have clear is: if I lose the job, will I to re-apply as an EU student or the shift would be automatic? (I mean only in the case then I won't find immediately another job)
Thanks for your answer. What I don't really have clear is: if I lose the job, will I to re-apply as an EU student or the shift would be automatic? (I mean only in the case then I won't find immediately another job)

Hi leti.alia,

There may be times a student or the spouse, parent/step parent of a migrant workers ends employment during the academic year. If they end their employment voluntarily they will automatically lose their status as a migrant worker. This means the students funding may need to be prorated.

If you unemployed through no fault of your own, e.g, if the student or the spouse, parent/step parent has been made redundant by their employer you can still retain eligibility for migrant worker status.

We will require a copy of you/their contract of employment showing the hours and payslips to show their current income level and a letter from the employer confirming their redundancy.
Once the redundancy has been confirmed we will require evidence that the student or the spouse, parent/step parent is actively seeking employment for each month moving forward.
If the evidence shows that there is no attempt to actively seek employment you will lose your eligibility as a migrant worker.

If you leave one job and move to another, we will require a copy of the P45 from the previous employer or a letter from previous employer confirming the employment end date.
If you are unable to provide this we can accept a statement of earnings from HMRC.
From the new employer we will need a copy of your contract of employment and a letter from your employer confirming that the contract accurately represents the hours and terms on which you work with any available payslips from the new employer.

For periods that you may loose your Migrant Worker status, you will as an EU student be eligible for the tuition fee.
Depending on when you were to lose your status we may advise you to complete the EU application for tuition fee only.

Thanks Rona
Reply 4
Original post by Rona SFE
Hi leti.alia,

There may be times a student or the spouse, parent/step parent of a migrant workers ends employment during the academic year. If they end their employment voluntarily they will automatically lose their status as a migrant worker. This means the students funding may need to be prorated.

If you unemployed through no fault of your own, e.g, if the student or the spouse, parent/step parent has been made redundant by their employer you can still retain eligibility for migrant worker status.

We will require a copy of you/their contract of employment showing the hours and payslips to show their current income level and a letter from the employer confirming their redundancy.
Once the redundancy has been confirmed we will require evidence that the student or the spouse, parent/step parent is actively seeking employment for each month moving forward.
If the evidence shows that there is no attempt to actively seek employment you will lose your eligibility as a migrant worker.

If you leave one job and move to another, we will require a copy of the P45 from the previous employer or a letter from previous employer confirming the employment end date.
If you are unable to provide this we can accept a statement of earnings from HMRC.
From the new employer we will need a copy of your contract of employment and a letter from your employer confirming that the contract accurately represents the hours and terms on which you work with any available payslips from the new employer.

For periods that you may loose your Migrant Worker status, you will as an EU student be eligible for the tuition fee.
Depending on when you were to lose your status we may advise you to complete the EU application for tuition fee only.

Thanks Rona

Thanks a lot!
Thanks a lot!

Hi leti.alia,

You are welcome.

Regards Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending