The Student Room Group

I hate living in halls

Hey guys,

This is just a post to vent and maybe find someone who thinks the same as me. I was looking forward to living in uni halls, but ever since moving in 2 months ago, I've just found the people living with me to be such inconsiderate shits. I have a single standard room but I share the kitchen, that's fine. My neighbors are absolute *******s though. They're super loud, they scream laugh every 10 seconds, they blast music through speakers despite me having told them several times that they're too loud, the bass gives me headaches. Doors slam every 5 seconds, sometimes it's hard to fall asleep because of the level of constant noise. Sometimes I smell weed coming into my room.

I get homesick and the level of annoyance I experience every day makes it worse and worse to the point of me crying every once in a while.

Anyone else feel the same about halls?
Original post by unistudent99
Hey guys,

This is just a post to vent and maybe find someone who thinks the same as me. I was looking forward to living in uni halls, but ever since moving in 2 months ago, I've just found the people living with me to be such inconsiderate shits. I have a single standard room but I share the kitchen, that's fine. My neighbors are absolute *******s though. They're super loud, they scream laugh every 10 seconds, they blast music through speakers despite me having told them several times that they're too loud, the bass gives me headaches. Doors slam every 5 seconds, sometimes it's hard to fall asleep because of the level of constant noise. Sometimes I smell weed coming into my room.

I get homesick and the level of annoyance I experience every day makes it worse and worse to the point of me crying every once in a while.

What a bunch of ******s. I know just how this makes you feel when you're living in a place like this.

It may be worth asking the accommodation services if you can swap rooms for those reasons. Someone from my flat was able to do this.
Reply 2
its annoying but unfortunately we all been there. Understand the homesickness though but this is about growing up. Options: ear plugs. Have a word with them (which you've done). Notify the police about the weed (forget the university authority). It is illegal so let the law take its course

Alternative two make a plan. There are lots of families and other people who will give you a cheap rent (or even sometimes free) room in their house if you're clean and tidy in exchange for cat sitting, house sitting etc. Halls is for students who have never been truth how to be curious by their equally selfish parents. Its a sign of the times. Make a plan and move or get ear plugs. Remember in a year or so you will look back and laugh. I do know where you are coming from though so not as easy to give advice. I spent a year in a quad in London with a crazy person next door loud music till 4am, tarannchellas and bottles of his own urine around the house and never paid bills. So been there.
Reply 3
Hey guys,

I graduated this year but I HATED halls in first year. Pretty much the same complaints as you, the worst noisy neighbours who had their friends in and out till early hours, they slammed the doors, stole food and made a complete mess of the kitchen. I sucked it up for the year though, did make some complaints that resulted in disciplinary actions for said flatmates but obviously they didn't follow through.
Hey guys,

This is just a post to vent and maybe find someone who thinks the same as me. I was looking forward to living in uni halls, but ever since moving in 2 months ago, I've just found the people living with me to be such inconsiderate *****. I have a single standard room but I share the kitchen, that's fine. My neighbors are absolute *******s though. They're super loud, they scream laugh every 10 seconds, they blast music through speakers despite me having told them several times that they're too loud, the bass gives me headaches. Doors slam every 5 seconds, sometimes it's hard to fall asleep because of the level of constant noise. Sometimes I smell weed coming into my room.

I’m in the exact same situation as you!! I thought I would love living in halls but my flat mates are too loud and I don’t fit in with them.. sucks because I was really looking forward to living with friends
Original post by Anonymous
I’m in the exact same situation as you!! I thought I would love living in halls but my flat mates are too loud and I don’t fit in with them.. sucks because I was really looking forward to living with friends

All my friends in other unis seem to be liking their room mates/flat mates, and then there's me, having to use headphones to try covering up the bass shaking my room at 11 pm.
Original post by garold01
Notify the police about the weed

Mate.... haven't you ever heard?

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending