The Student Room Group

Not doing the course I wanted at uni...

I am currently studying English literature at university and I am finding myself feeling really out of place on my course and I'm unmotivated to go to lectures and seminars as well as doing the assignments. I originally went through clearing as I didn't get onto the psychology course I originally wanted to do and the university I am at wouldn't let me on the psychology course even through clearing but offered me the English literature course instead, I chose to accept it because I thought I'd see how it goes as I might enjoy it. But here I am regretting my choices and unable to get onto my desired course. Any advice would be great because I really don't know what to do and can't afford to drop out?
Reply 1
That's a really difficult situation. Is there any way you can transfer course? Do you have the option to do discovery modules so can take some psychology? I suppose, if not, you've just got to knuckle down. It's the course you've got and you want to get the best grade. I'm sure there's something about it that interests you - try and latch onto that.
Reply 2
Original post by lowza
That's a really difficult situation. Is there any way you can transfer course? Do you have the option to do discovery modules so can take some psychology? I suppose, if not, you've just got to knuckle down. It's the course you've got and you want to get the best grade. I'm sure there's something about it that interests you - try and latch onto that.

It's so complicated 🙈 I did take English literature at a level and even then it was never something that I wanted to pursue at university, for some reason I thought maybe spending 3 years focused on that one subject would make it easier to cope with but I dont think I can cope doing a month... I guess it's early days yet but like I say people in the same course all seem so motivated and excited to be studying English but I'm just not enjoying it. I don't have the option to do a discovery module in psychology unfortunately 😣 I'll have to speak to the uni to see if they can transfer me to the psychology course but I feel like if they didn't take me on through clearing they aren't going to take me on now. 🙈
I couldn't get onto Law or Criminology/Psychology because the highest grade I have is a BTEC in Art. Instead, my uni let me onto the business course, and after a year of studying that, if I prove to them that I can do it, they'll transfer me onto either one. Could your uni possibly do that if you stuck out the course for a year?
Reply 4
Original post by Galahad_
I couldn't get onto Law or Criminology/Psychology because the highest grade I have is a BTEC in Art. Instead, my uni let me onto the business course, and after a year of studying that, if I prove to them that I can do it, they'll transfer me onto either one. Could your uni possibly do that if you stuck out the course for a year?

I actually didn't think of that! I'll have to speak to the uni, I really hope they will agree to it 🙈 I absolutely love psychology but my exam results show otherwise... Whoever said results don't matter was talking 💩 because I'm still struggling 😂🙈.
Original post by Lucy-12
I actually didn't think of that! I'll have to speak to the uni, I really hope they will agree to it 🙈 I absolutely love psychology but my exam results show otherwise... Whoever said results don't matter was talking 💩 because I'm still struggling 😂🙈.

I feel you on that! My GCSEs were awful, and I don't have a single A Level. Definitely speak to them, who knows, they might be more than willing to do that! I wish you all the best. <3
Reply 6
Original post by Galahad_
I feel you on that! My GCSEs were awful, and I don't have a single A Level. Definitely speak to them, who knows, they might be more than willing to do that! I wish you all the best. <3

I didn't get the best gcse's or a level results which resulted me in not getting into my first choice uni and desired course (obviously 😂). Honestly you work so hard for the exams and get no where while everyone else around you seems to be doing fine in their lives 🙈 I am praying the uni will have pity on me 😂 Thank you for the advice! Hope you get to transfer onto your course as well! 💕
Original post by Lucy-12
I am currently studying English literature at university and I am finding myself feeling really out of place on my course and I'm unmotivated to go to lectures and seminars as well as doing the assignments. I originally went through clearing as I didn't get onto the psychology course I originally wanted to do and the university I am at wouldn't let me on the psychology course even through clearing but offered me the English literature course instead, I chose to accept it because I thought I'd see how it goes as I might enjoy it. But here I am regretting my choices and unable to get onto my desired course. Any advice would be great because I really don't know what to do and can't afford to drop out?

Another option for you might be to continue looking around for courses at other universities, and see if it's possible to transfer to another uni where you can study psychology?

It's still early days so they may let you do so.

Good luck either way

Ellie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending