The Student Room Group

A degree is a degree!

What utter nonsense that a 2:2 is below standard! What planet are you on?

Scroll to see replies

With Brexit, alot of employers have reduced their graduate intake and expanding european offices.

Good luck finding a job with a 2:2 (its doable but excludes you from like 80% of all jobs)
The thing is a degree shouldn't be "a degree", as you say.

Those grad jobs don't need a degree to be done - specifically they accept any degree subject and just put arbitrary requirements on the classification or awarding university due to demand. You could get a 6th form student who is bright but not necessarily academically minded, put them in an investment bank as a trainee (below the standard of grad analysts) and within two years they'd be easily able to do the role of a grad analyst. An analyst does not need or use advanced mathematics. A quant, sure, but most applying for those positions will have at least a masters if not a PhD, so..

What a degree should be is what it was originally intended for - an academic training programme for either a handful of professions which require specific academic knowledge to engage in (law, medicine, etc - also in modern day times, realistically engineering) or to continue in academia as a lecturer, scientist, researcher generally, etc, etc. Even some things, like a reasonable swathe of engineers, many solicitors (as opposed to barristers, and particularly in corporate law), architects, and so on, which would otherwise fall into the above, could well be trained (as they are, for the former two) in joint academic apprenticeship programmes - where the degree is incidental, more than anything.

Alas, (the necessary and good push for) access to university has been misinterpreted and misimplemented as meaning that everyone should go to university, rather than anyone should be able to go to university.
I hate how the govt has introduced another layer of grades for new GCSEs

just increases the gap between average and super clever and gives added advantage to households that can afford private tutors
Reply 4
Again, what planet you on? I'm a boss with a 1st with masters too! My staff are 2:2 and more functional than my 4 males who have a 1st! People need to "back up" their skills without academia involved. Get in the real world mate!
Reply 5
Good luck to you! With your attitude I wouldn't employ you, even if you manage a Masters!
A degree is a unit of measurement of angles, one ninetieth of a right angle or the angle subtended by one three-hundred-and-sixtieth of the circumference of a circle.
Reply 7
Yes, it depends on what subject...m
Reply 8
Original post by hannah00
With Brexit, alot of employers have reduced their graduate intake and expanding european offices.

Good luck finding a job with a 2:2 (its doable but excludes you from like 80% of all jobs)

Really? I'm half way to PhD and you?
Reply 9
Original post by artful_lounger
The thing is a degree shouldn't be "a degree", as you say.

Those grad jobs don't need a degree to be done - specifically they accept any degree subject and just put arbitrary requirements on the classification or awarding university due to demand. You could get a 6th form student who is bright but not necessarily academically minded, put them in an investment bank as a trainee (below the standard of grad analysts) and within two years they'd be easily able to do the role of a grad analyst. An analyst does not need or use advanced mathematics. A quant, sure, but most applying for those positions will have at least a masters if not a PhD, so..

What a degree should be is what it was originally intended for - an academic training programme for either a handful of professions which require specific academic knowledge to engage in (law, medicine, etc - also in modern day times, realistically engineering) or to continue in academia as a lecturer, scientist, researcher generally, etc, etc. Even some things, like a reasonable swathe of engineers, many solicitors (as opposed to barristers, and particularly in corporate law), architects, and so on, which would otherwise fall into the above, could well be trained (as they are, for the former two) in joint academic apprenticeship programmes - where the degree is incidental, more than anything.

Alas, (the necessary and good push for) access to university has been misinterpreted and misimplemented as meaning that everyone should go to university, rather than anyone should be able to go to university.

Well said!!!
Original post by Juliamarie9

Good grad jobs are generally conditional on a 2:1. A 2:2 is still a degree, it just closes a lot of doors to you.
life doesnt have to be fair, but govt shoudnt go out of its way to create a black mirror type society
Original post by Juliamarie9

Sorry that I interrupt you, but I have no idea what "2:2" means? I can't say something to your statement without to know the details.
I'm torn in view here.

Like someone else said, a degree shouldn't be just a degree. If that were the case, generally grading at all would be a concept no one should abide by.

A degree, like other grades, is how you filter people at the door. At least for jobs that need a quick and easy way of assuming competency.

Experience however, is what keeps you going, and can take you up and up and up.

I can certainly say that a handful of people I went to university with who got 1st degrees definitely wouldn't be suited for a plethora of jobs in the field their degree is focused on. After all, a degree says you're wonderful in an academic world.

However. Having a degree to a high standard generally does suggest that the person is dedicated to working and has a good work ethic academically. Now these can be highly transferable skills depending on the area, or it could be a transferable attitude.
That's why it's quite a good gauge of person. That degree does speak volumes, but maybe just 1 or 2 volumes. The rest has to be supplemented and fueled by good old experience.
Original post by Kallisto
Sorry that I interrupt you, but I have no idea what "2:2" means? I can't say something to your statement without to know the details.

For clarification, a '2:2', is a grading of a degree. See it as a B (or C if you consider a First an A*).

The grading generally goes: Failed, Pass, Third [class], 2:2 (Lower 2nd class), 2:1 (Upper 2nd Class), and First [class].

2:2 is equivalent to about 50-60%
I disagree. The best people don't necessarily get the best job. The people perhaps with the higher degree but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are the best people for the job.
Original post by Sykeology
For clarification, a '2:2', is a grading of a degree. See it as a B (or C if you consider a First an A*).

The grading generally goes: Failed, Pass, Third [class], 2:2 (Lower 2nd class), 2:1 (Upper 2nd Class), and First [class].

2:2 is equivalent to about 50-60%

I see, it is quite below average. It is difficult accordingly to get a job with this degree. I am so confusing why degrees for students at school are rated in letters, while degrees for students at university are indicated with numbers in a relation to each other.
I see, it is quite below average. It is difficult accordingly to get a job with this degree. I am so confusing why degrees for students at school are rated in letters, while degrees for students at university are indicated with numbers in a relation to each other.

To add to the confusion, Master's courses (though this may not apply to every institution), go: Pass (Low, Med, High), Merit/Credit/Commendation (Low, Med, High) and Distinction (Low, Med, High). There is a grade above that, it's still considered a distinction but to a near-flawless level for the resource and level of academia. It generally represents 90% or above, and at that standard you're viable to be considered for publication.

I don't know what level of academia you're at right now, but if you're not quite to university yet, I would say to take the grading with a pinch of sugar. Whilst 70%+ being a 2:1/distinction may seem moderate in comparison to the 80s and 90s of GCSE and possibly A-level, I can assure you that the standard to reach 70 is proportionally higher than 80/90 in lower tiers of education.

Hopefully that's informative (:
Original post by Sykeology
To add to the confusion, Master's courses (though this may not apply to every institution), go: Pass (Low, Med, High), Merit/Credit/Commendation (Low, Med, High) and Distinction (Low, Med, High). There is a grade above that, it's still considered a distinction but to a near-flawless level for the resource and level of academia. It generally represents 90% or above, and at that standard you're viable to be considered for publication.

I don't know what level of academia you're at right now, but if you're not quite to university yet, I would say to take the grading with a pinch of sugar. Whilst 70%+ being a 2:1/distinction may seem moderate in comparison to the 80s and 90s of GCSE and possibly A-level, I can assure you that the standard to reach 70 is proportionally higher than 80/90 in lower tiers of education.

Hopefully that's informative (:

I am not a university student, I am not a British who is living in UK, but abroad. Know the Education system in Britain a little bit, that is all. And it is higely unlikely I would ever be a student in the UK. As an outsider I just wonder why this module is so complicated.
I am not a university student, I am not a British who is living in UK, but abroad. Know the Education system in Britain a little bit, that is all. And it is higely unlikely I would ever be a student in the UK. As an outsider I just wonder why this module is so complicated.

From the foundation of universities in the 12th century, the idea was that a student undertook a series of oral exercises in arts (as a result of which he was awarded the "gradium" or degree of batchelor of arts. He continued studying and received the degree of master of arts which qualified him to teach arts. He then continued to study one of the higher faculties medicine, civil law, canon law and theology and received a bachelor's degree in one of those faculties and finally he received a doctor's degree in one of those faculties which entitled him to teach in those faculties.

The histories of European universities diverged from the Renaissance and Reformation onwards. In England, the oral examination exercises became meaningless formalities.

Proper written examinations only started at the beginning of the 19th century and only only for students wanting "honours", Those examinations were divided into different classes (3 classes at Cambridge and 4 at Oxford) and originally the students were ranked in order. Only two subject were offered classics (being mostly classical history and philosophy) and mathematics.

Over the 19th century, more and more examinations were introduced (including for those not seeking honours) along with other subjects for examination. The University of London was very important in the development of degrees because it first awarded the degrees in the higher faculties as first degrees and revived masters degrees as a taught qualification.

During the 20th century there were a number of developments. Reading for an ordinary non-honours or "pass" degree died out and "pass" was left as the grade fro someone who fails to get any class of honours in an honours examination. Oxford dropped its by now rarely awarded 4th class degree in 1971. The vast majority of students were getting 2nd class degrees and so progressively universities started dividing their second class degrees into "second class upper division" or "second class first division" or "2:1" degrees and "second class lower division" or "second class second division" or 2:2 degrees. Oxford was the last to divide its 2nd in 1986.

What has happened since is that there has been a massive increase in the proportion of students getting 2:1 degrees so that the proportion of 2:2 degrees awarded is the same now as the numbers of 3rds awarded 30 years ago. There are numerous threads on TSR arguing the reasons fro this.

Due to the European Bologna process and the size of the Commonwealth, the English method of awarding degrees is now dominant throughout the world except in the USA. Many European countries have abandoned their own centuries old traditions in the last 20 years.

Ideas have always moved from country to country. The PhD is a German invention. It is not an historic doctorate.

This is a broad outline. There are still anomalies in all countries including in England.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending