The Student Room Group

Equine studies

Hi, I'm 15 and looking at going into equine veterinary and want some advice on where to go from GCSEs. I'm looking at sparsholt college to take an under grad course in equine science and was wondering what the opertunities are after completing the course work wise. Also, is there a way around taking maths A level?!
Thanks
I'll have to be honest doing an equine degree is usually a waste of time. Being an equine person myself, I have known many many people friends and family do equine studies or related degree and when they graduate they find themselves doing jobs like admin or going into other subjects like accounting or biology etc. I know probably about 50 people who did equine studies and only 1 girl actually used her degree. She is now working for a company which research equine sports and the movement of racehorses and developing physio equipment etc. It looks very interesting but she was always AMAZING academically. The job opportunities like that is very hard to find. A lot end up doing grooming also or riding instructor but you don't have to do a degree for that and most say they regretted taking it so it's just a waste of money

Sorry to sound like a party pooper but just from personal experience I'd highly recommend not taking it, unless you plan on going into vet med. if you're really really interested and is something you want to do or even just love learning new things about horses then go for it, but I just want to warn you job prospectuses is not a lot.

Instead maybe try look into veterinary physio degrees, the grades required for those are still high but not as high or competitive as vet med and you can get quite a good job doing equine physio, especially if you start your own business etc, i think the job prospectus is just much better with that, my own physio I use for my horses makes £150,000 per year, she graduated and worked for 5 years and then set up her own business 8 years ago and is doing very well.
Reply 2
Original post by Student_222
I'll have to be honest doing an equine degree is usually a waste of time. Being an equine person myself, I have known many many people friends and family do equine studies or related degree and when they graduate they find themselves doing jobs like admin or going into other subjects like accounting or biology etc. I know probably about 50 people who did equine studies and only 1 girl actually used her degree. She is now working for a company which research equine sports and the movement of racehorses and developing physio equipment etc. It looks very interesting but she was always AMAZING academically. The job opportunities like that is very hard to find. A lot end up doing grooming also or riding instructor but you don't have to do a degree for that and most say they regretted taking it so it's just a waste of money

Sorry to sound like a party pooper but just from personal experience I'd highly recommend not taking it, unless you plan on going into vet med. if you're really really interested and is something you want to do or even just love learning new things about horses then go for it, but I just want to warn you job prospectuses is not a lot.

Instead maybe try look into veterinary physio degrees, the grades required for those are still high but not as high or competitive as vet med and you can get quite a good job doing equine physio, especially if you start your own business etc, i think the job prospectus is just much better with that, my own physio I use for my horses makes £150,000 per year, she graduated and worked for 5 years and then set up her own business 8 years ago and is doing very well.

Thank you very much! I am looking at doing a veterinary medicine course now but I think I want to have a look at the physio side of it more for horses. I'm really looking towards doing veterinary and I'm not interested in teaching or running a yard.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending