The Student Room Group

How do you feel about being prayed for?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by It's****ingWOODY
As I said, though, if any of this was the case, then bad things wouldn't happen to good people. The religious generally pray for themselves and their loved ones to be kept safe and well - it'd be crazy to claim that this actually happened, countless people all over the world who were religious and have had horrible things happen to them that in some cases have resulted in death.

Stop saying "as I said" omg...and ok I get it, you're an atheist. And prayer isn't always asking for something. It could be thanking. 😛 a lot of believers, despite the normal trials and tribulations of being human like struggles, still thank their God for what they do have. I'm not saying it always seems to make sense I'm just explaining that a bit of suffering here or there doesn't deter real believers.
Original post by Salt Queen
Stop saying "as I said" omg...and ok I get it, you're an atheist. And prayer isn't always asking for something. It could be thanking. 😛 a lot of believers, despite the normal trials and tribulations of being human like struggles, still thank their God for what they do have. I'm not saying it always seems to make sense I'm just explaining that a bit of suffering here or there doesn't deter real believers.

Well, as I said...... :rofl: Actually, I'm not an atheist, I'm agnostic :h: Just saying, even if there is a god, I just don't believe anything comes of prayer. Though, I'm all for people doing whatever makes them happy so long as nobody else is getting hurt, so whatevs really :h:
Well, as I said...... :rofl: Actually, I'm not an atheist, I'm agnostic :h: Just saying, even if there is a god, I just don't believe anything comes of prayer. Though, I'm all for people doing whatever makes them happy so long as nobody else is getting hurt, so whatevs really :h:

:angry:

Agnostic, whatever then!? Lol.

Ok fine. You're entitled but do you respect my opinion too?
:angry:

Agnostic, whatever then!? Lol.

Ok fine. You're entitled but do you respect my opinion too?

Yep, as I said (:colone:) I respect everyone's right to believe in/do what they like so long as nobody gets hurt, and I respect your opinion generally :top:
Yep, as I said (:colone:) I respect everyone's right to believe in/do what they like so long as nobody gets hurt, and I respect your opinion generally :top:

Generally or genuinely?
Generally or genuinely?

Both?

I'm not one of those morose motherf***ers that use generally and genuinely interchangeably, if that's what you're thinking :tongue:
As much as I know that God isn't real (I hope that he would be though), it feels nice knowing that you're in someone's thoughts and that someone is hoping that you can overcome a hardship :smile:
Both?

I'm not one of those morose motherf***ers that use generally and genuinely interchangeably, if that's what you're thinking :tongue:

😂😂
I'd appreciate the sentiment, even if really I think it's horseshit.
I am not religious, but I would feel grateful, as it would show that they care.
I appreciate the sentiment but I don't believe it'll change or influence anything in my life - for good or bad.
Original post by Bubs051213
Mainly aimed towards non-religious folks. How would you/do you feel about being prayed for? Not necessarily just in person but also, for example, if you messaged a friend telling them about a hard situation and they said they'd pray for you. I can understand that anyone who doesn't believe in a god/or the same God would perhaps find it pointless but would you be pleased/offended/find it awkward?

As an FYI, I'm a Christian which is really why I'm asking as it's not something I can really understand having been bought up in church. And please keep it civil, I'm not trying to convert anyone, I'd just love to hear your honest opinions and experiences!

Edited to say that I'm not looking for advice as to whether I should (as that's something I discuss with friends etc) I am purely curious as to other people's views.

To them, its a big deal. As an atheist, I know praying is going to do f*ck all. However, it's a lovely gesture. So you should be flattered, to them it's a kindness.
Personally i find it stupid, but accept the support and say “thanks”.
Amount of times someone has “prayed” rather than actually helping or doing anything about a situation is too damn high.
Original post by MADMANMALIK
Personally i find it stupid, but accept the support and say “thanks”.
Amount of times someone has “prayed” rather than actually helping or doing anything about a situation is too damn high.

Thanks for your thoughts. This drives me insane too! Instead of just offering to pray (which personally I feel is important) also see if there's anything you can actually physically do to help that person.
Mainly aimed towards non-religious folks. How would you/do you feel about being prayed for? Not necessarily just in person but also, for example, if you messaged a friend telling them about a hard situation and they said they'd pray for you. I can understand that anyone who doesn't believe in a god/or the same God would perhaps find it pointless but would you be pleased/offended/find it awkward?

As an FYI, I'm a Christian which is really why I'm asking as it's not something I can really understand having been bought up in church. And please keep it civil, I'm not trying to convert anyone, I'd just love to hear your honest opinions and experiences!

Edited to say that I'm not looking for advice as to whether I should (as that's something I discuss with friends etc) I am purely curious as to other people's views.

Nice gesture as long as it's done with the right heart. Like saying "thinking of you" or something. Sure it's arguably pointless depending on your beliefs, but most gestures like that are. It's more saying that you care than actually trying to achieve anything.

Exception (as with anything) is if it's used without that right intent, like if it were used to imply they were a bad egg and you're praying that they'll see the light or whatever. That seems irrelevant in this context though.

Also, if it's used in place of actual help (when you would reasonably be able to help them) it's a bit like "well I could help, but I'll just send a request to imaginary sky man". (Not trying to say God doesn't exist btw- just what it sounds like to people who think he/ she doesn't).
But again it's that in the right heart thing. I think people tend to use it when there isn't anything they can do except send good thoughts or pray.

If you're aware that a friend isn't religious, you may want to ditch it in favour of something like "thinking of you". I think most people would see it that way anyway, but some people might see it as pushing religion or something (some people are touchy about the whole religion thing). It's by no means an inappropriate thing to say though. :smile:

Hope that makes sense
Original post by Kindred
If you're aware that a friend isn't religious, you may want to ditch it in favour of something like "thinking of you". I think most people would see it that way anyway, but some people might see it as pushing religion or something (some people are touchy about the whole religion thing). It's by no means an inappropriate thing to say though. :smile:

Hope that makes sense
it does

if someone messaged me "you are in my prayers", I would have to restrain myself from answering "Nonsense. I'm at home watching the telly"

best

If someone prayed for me? Thanks for the good thoughts, but they won't do anything. Instead of praying for people, try actually going out there and making a difference.

Quick Reply

Latest