The Student Room Group

Struggling in Medicine

I'm a first year medical student. I honestly do not know how to learn for medicine. My study method i used in A-levels is too time consuming. Can any medical student share with me their study methods? Do you make notes during a lecture and print them out or do you make your own notes using books or anything else.

My university uses case studies btw.
This study is pretty interesting in terms of what's an effective way to learn.

I'm a first year too so obviously take this with a pinch of salt or two. But personally I read the lecture slides before the lecture, google anything I'm not certain about and make flashcards on my computer out of them. Then I go to the lecture and add anything I need to add. Haven't had the time/self-control to perfectly stick to this yet lol but after the lectures I try to review the flashcard the next day, the weekend after and the weekend after that.
Original post by anneroojohnson
I'm a first year medical student. I honestly do not know how to learn for medicine. My study method i used in A-levels is too time consuming. Can any medical student share with me their study methods? Do you make notes during a lecture and print them out or do you make your own notes using books or anything else.

My university uses case studies btw.

Does your uni have a study skills support department? If yes, you should probably seek advice from them, since they are the best able to teach you. Bearing in mind that they will know exactly how / what you are being taught.
Also a first year. I fine the sheer amount of volume the most challenging part. Identifying what is relevant and the balance between depth and breadth is also difficult. My method is to learn the broad picture instead of going into detail and memorising every single aspect of anatomy. Your medical school may have some suggested reading material which might help to direct your learning.
Thank you for the replies. I am in my third year of medical school now :smile:. I decided to stick with my study method that i've used during A-levels which are writing my own notes from lectures/classes.

After lectures, with each lecture slide, i write and draw my own notes. If there is anything that i don't understand, i look it up on YouTube or find sources that explain the topic more clearly. I try to review all the notes that i've written that week at the end of each week. This method takes a lot of time, but it's suitable for me. I've tried studying in a group but i prefer studying by myself at my own pace and time.

Looks like i'm sticking with this study technique throughout medical school!

Latest

Trending

Trending