The Student Room Group

Is it worth doing an extended degree

][]
(edited 3 years ago)
What do you mean 'extended' - 4 v 5 years? BEng v MEng? Different considerations for each of those.
Original post by V7Y
I am currently studying extended degree - Mechanical engineering and was wondering if it is worth it? because I am thinking about going back to doing the normal degree. Help pls

Is the extended degree just a mech eng degree with a year 0 (foundation year) if yes then I would recommend only doing the extended degree if you dont have the correct qualifications for first year entry
Reply 3
Original post by Duncan2012
What do you mean 'extended' - 4 v 5 years? BEng v MEng? Different considerations for each of those.

So I'm doing the initial year for Beng or BSC. To get into Beng Mech Eng I need to get 55% or more.
Reply 4
Original post by madmadmax321
Is the extended degree just a mech eng degree with a year 0 (foundation year) if yes then I would recommend only doing the extended degree if you dont have the correct qualifications for first year entry

Yeah, it is the initial year (Year 0) I applied for a mechanical engineering degree and got an offer but I changed my mind as I did not do certain A-levels such as mathematics and thought that going straight into it might be tough but I am willing to do the extra work since I'm not enjoying the extended degree
Original post by V7Y
Yeah, it is the initial year (Year 0) I applied for a mechanical engineering degree and got an offer but I changed my mind as I did not do certain A-levels such as mathematics and thought that going straight into it might be tough but I am willing to do the extra work since I'm not enjoying the extended degree

A uni wouldnt give someone a offer for a course they dont think they could handle. You can ask to switch but bear in mind you will have to work harder now as you will be behind on work + cover any bits that are assumed before the course started

If you're going to ask to switch I would go in and find who you need to speak to ASAP (today if possible, if not then monday 9am) as the longer you leave it the less likely you will be able to change.

What is it that you arent enjoying about the year 0? (I did a year 0 myself so may be able to offer some advice)
Reply 6
A uni wouldnt give someone a offer for a course they dont think they could handle. You can ask to switch but bear in mind you will have to work harder now as you will be behind on work + cover any bits that are assumed before the course started

If you're going to ask to switch I would go in and find who you need to speak to ASAP (today if possible, if not then monday 9am) as the longer you leave it the less likely you will be able to change.

What is it that you arent enjoying about the year 0? (I did a year 0 myself so may be able to offer some advice)

Yeah, That I can understand. Im not enjoying it because I just dont like the college where I have to go for most of the week as it is not organised and the lesson are not structured and I feel like I am going to be stuck for another year but I know there is stuff I am going to learn however I am going to put in a lot of work in. What university did you do the extended degree at and how did you find it?
Original post by V7Y
Yeah, That I can understand. Im not enjoying it because I just dont like the college where I have to go for most of the week as it is not organised and the lesson are not structured and I feel like I am going to be stuck for another year but I know there is stuff I am going to learn however I am going to put in a lot of work in. What university did you do the extended degree at and how did you find it?

Thats fair enough, like I said if I you want to change this year you need to do it asap.

A side note that even though you might find it disorganised, you will probably find some of the modules on your actual degree are like that too as from what I hear all unis have lecturers that suck and just dont care for teaching.

I did mine at uni of leeds (it was taught on campus by uni of lecturers rather than at a college). I found it through ucas I think (its been a couple of years since I finished the foundation year)
Reply 8
Thats fair enough, like I said if I you want to change this year you need to do it asap.

A side note that even though you might find it disorganised, you will probably find some of the modules on your actual degree are like that too as from what I hear all unis have lecturers that suck and just dont care for teaching.

I did mine at uni of leeds (it was taught on campus by uni of lecturers rather than at a college). I found it through ucas I think (its been a couple of years since I finished the foundation year)

Oh right, Yeah I can understand how the lecturers are, with my university I have to go to a college which is awkward and I would rather stay on campus and do just lectures. I will be sure to go and ask someone today.

What did you go on to study after your extended degree?
Original post by V7Y
Oh right, Yeah I can understand how the lecturers are, with my university I have to go to a college which is awkward and I would rather stay on campus and do just lectures. I will be sure to go and ask someone today.

What did you go on to study after your extended degree?

Meh I dont see why going to a college to do the extended year is any different to doing it on uni campus other than maybe hurting your pride as you feel you should be learning on campus. You are there to learn the content at the end of the day, whether you learn it on campus or at a local college shouldnt make you feel any different, its just a means to an end. I doubt anyone else cares where you study

I progressed to theoretical physics but could have chosen any engineering discipline or comp sci or maths/chemistry if I wanted to as I exceeded the percentage required for all of the progressions that were offered
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
Meh I dont see why going to a college to do the extended year is any different to doing it on uni campus other than maybe hurting your pride as you feel you should be learning on campus. You are there to learn the content at the end of the day, whether you learn it on campus or at a local college shouldnt make you feel any different, its just a means to an end. I doubt anyone else cares where you study

I progressed to theoretical physics but could have chosen any engineering discipline or comp sci or maths/chemistry if I wanted to as I exceeded the percentage required for all of the progressions that were offered

Very true its just that I am not enjoying it but I am about to go the uni advice centre and get in contact with someone. Cheers
Original post by V7Y
Very true its just that I am not enjoying it but I am about to go the uni advice centre and get in contact with someone. Cheers

Hope it all goes well! I would just go straight to the mech eng department, find their student office and ask them your question/ask them who the admissions tutor for the course you want to do is, cuts out the middle man and they are the people best equipped to answer your Q as thats who would probably sort the transfer (and also who will approve it)
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest