The Student Room Group

Interruption of studies: funding when returning Sep 2018

Hello, both my partner and I had extenuating circumstances in 3rd year, and we are in different positions because our student union considers me as a non-student and mentioned they would not support me financially because of that. We applied to interrupt our studies for a year last month, but my partner is concerned about whether he is entitled to funding when he returns. The difference is that i don't need to attend classes, but i will have to retake my dissertation from scratch and other assignments with no access to libraries and archives, to which i am currently on Universal Credit and struggling to get any work for over two months.

But he needs access to a workshop, to make his projects which requires him to move back to London to use them as he is currently residing in a hostel on JSA which is not a suitable environment to complete his studies. He also wishes to repeat the year again including attending classes to which his department agreed.

Could you please let me know what our financial options are?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by pbrid001
Hello, both my partner and I had extenuating circumstances in 3rd year, and we are in different positions because our student union considers me as a non-student and mentioned they would not support me financially because of that. We applied to interrupt our studies for a year last month, but my partner is concerned about whether he is entitled to funding when he returns. The difference is that i don't need to attend classes, but i will have to retake my dissertation from scratch and other assignments with no access to libraries and archives, to which i am currently on Universal Credit and struggling to get any work for over two months.

But he needs access to a workshop, to make his projects which requires him to move back to London to use them as he is currently residing in a hostel on JSA which is not a suitable environment to complete his studies. He also wishes to repeat the year again including attending classes to which his department agreed.

Could you please let me know what our financial options are?

Hi pbrid001,

If you fail to pass a year of study and then return to resit exams only in the following year, you will be classed as an external/not in attendance student. If you are not registered as being in attendance at your University/College, you will not entitled to support for the academic year.

External/not in attendance students who are not attending their course are not eligible for fee loans, Maintenance Grants, loans for living costs, dependants' grants or disabled students allowances under the Student Support Regulations 2011. External students are generally not charged a fee by their University or College as they are not attending their course on a full-time basis.

Can I ask are both you and your partner external students this year or is your husband repeating a year of study ?

Thanks Rona
Reply 2
He is repeating a year but next September, we are having a year off so that we can sort out finances and other personal circumstances.
Original post by pbrid001
He is repeating a year but next September, we are having a year off so that we can sort out finances and other personal circumstances.

Hi pbrid001,

As you are not going to be in attendance in the next academic year, then you will not be entitled to support from Student Finance England.

If you are not going to be in employment then you would need to contact your local benefits office.

Depending on his situation, if your husband is repeating without attendance, as an external student, as I advised earlier, he will not be entitled to support for that year.

If your husband is having to repeat a year of study and not receiving full support including the tuition fee loan, he may want us to consider his extenuating circumstances when calculating his entitlement, also known as his Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR).

Thanks Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending