The Student Room Group

Tuition fee for the first year

To anyone who may be able to help me,

I'm in a tough situation as I need to find how I'm going to fund the first year of University. I'm going on to study a degree but I cannot claim student finance for the first year. I can claim it for the 2nd and 3rd years but not the first. This is because I have already claimed 2 years of finance but unfortunately had to leave my course. Has anyone got any idea how I could fund the tuition fee for the first year? I'm not worried about living costs I only need finance for the tuition fee. Any advice would be amazing! Thank you.
Reply 1
Can you claim CPR?
Reply 2
Original post by Ishax
Can you claim CPR?

Sorry I may sound stupid but I'm not sure what you mean. What is CPR?
Reply 3
Original post by Josie82
Sorry I may sound stupid but I'm not sure what you mean. What is CPR?

Compelling personal reasons. Without it, you have absolutely zero chance of getting financing. After all, why should you? You've already wasted 2 years!
Original post by IWMTom
Compelling personal reasons. Without it, you have absolutely zero chance of getting financing. After all, why should you? You've already wasted 2 years!

That was uncalled for, you have no idea of the OPs situation that caused them to leave uni
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by madmadmax321
That was uncalled for, you have no idea of the OPs situation that caused them to leave uni

If they have a good enough reason, they have CPR, and can get funding - what's the problem?
Original post by IWMTom
If they have a good enough reason, they have CPR, and can get funding - what's the problem?

The fact that you added it on but it added no actual value to your post other than to take a stab at the OPs situation

Also there are plenty of circumstances which arent classed CPR by student finance yet would still cause someone to have to leave university (from looking at some friends applications for CPR anyway that have been rejected)
Reply 7
Original post by madmadmax321
The fact that you added it on but it added no actual value to your post other than to take a stab at the OPs situation

Also there are plenty of circumstances which arent classed CPR by student finance yet would still cause someone to have to leave university (from looking at some friends applications for CPR anyway that have been rejected)

Hence, "if they have a good enough reason". I'm sorry, but I don't agree that the taxpayer should shell out when people waste their finance entitlement; they're given a year for a resit or change of course - this is more than enough.
Reply 8
Thank you for your replies I appreciate the support. I understand your feelings towards it however I will defend myself in saying that the situation was out of my control. I'm not really sure what CPR is or how it works? I've been out of uni for a couple years now due to having to look after my ill grandad coz no one else could. I just hopped off and left because my family was falling apart for a number of reasons and I had to be here. I didn't notify anyone I know I made a huge mistake but my personal circumstances were all I and everyone around me could concentrate on. Now everything has fixed itself I want to go back. However I am starting a new course closer to home as I need to be here to help my family. In regards to the tax payer paying for my education, I intend to pay back all of my student loans that I have had. Also, we all pay tax and we all need help sometimes. I feel whatever we give we get in return. If you do not believe in the way the country works maybe you should consider leaving.
Reply 9
Original post by Josie82
Thank you for your replies I appreciate the support. I understand your feelings towards it however I will defend myself in saying that the situation was out of my control. I'm not really sure what CPR is or how it works? I've been out of uni for a couple years now due to having to look after my ill grandad coz no one else could. I just hopped off and left because my family was falling apart for a number of reasons and I had to be here. I didn't notify anyone I know I made a huge mistake but my personal circumstances were all I and everyone around me could concentrate on. Now everything has fixed itself I want to go back. However I am starting a new course closer to home as I need to be here to help my family. In regards to the tax payer paying for my education, I intend to pay back all of my student loans that I have had. Also, we all pay tax and we all need help sometimes. I feel whatever we give we get in return. If you do not believe in the way the country works maybe you should consider leaving.

If you’ve left to take care of your grandad, that can be considered for CPR. Do you have any proof of this?
Reply 10
Original post by Josie82

Right.. so you have CPR? Talk to SFE and get the application form...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending