The Student Room Group

Messi is the best footballer ever

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ThatOldGuy
So all Messi has to do to catch up is make 122 goals in the next 65 matches and 16 goals in the next -29 games(That's negative 29 games, so he has to travel back in time and make the goals in past games to equal Pele).

You said goals not strike rate.

Look - I'm not saying Messi is great, but to say he is unarguably the greatest player of all time is a bit premature when the only thing you can go on are the stats, of which Pele rocked Messi.

It's not the only thing you can go on though.

Arguably, the game was harder back when Pele played, too - Ball was harder and heavier, making headers harder and it bent differently so goal-tending was harder back then.

Coaching wasn't as advanced (meaning opponents were not as good), defenders not as fit...
Original post by Wilfred Little
You said goals not strike rate.

It's not the only thing you can go on though.

Coaching wasn't as advanced (meaning opponents were not as good), defenders not as fit...

Wow. So Pele was able to do all of that despite not being as fit as Messi? So Pele was -way- more skilled than Messi?
Wow. So Pele was able to do all of that despite not being as fit as Messi? So Pele was -way- more skilled than Messi?

Pele wasn't as skilled (obvious from seeing footage of both), Messi is fitter but so are the defenders he has to play against. Far superior to the players back in Pele's day. And then you have to consider the competition. Messi plays against the best defences in Spain and Europe, Most of Pele's games were against regional Brazilian state sides.
Messi's great, but better than Pele?

Maybe, but Pele's got more lifetime goals and 3 World Cup wins, which is 3 more than Messi.

What leagues did Pele score this goals in?

The leagues where part time barber's play in?

You want to compare that to the ultimate professional athletes Messi is destroying today?

Moreover Pele is an out and out striker. Messi is not. He is a support striker, winger and playmaker, so it is quite illogical to use goals as the singular basis of declaring greatness between the two, even though Messi has done well in that.

Teams win world cups, not players. Pele was even injured in the group stages in the 1962 world cup and did not participate further. The Brazilian team won without him, so Pele did not get the world cup, Brazil footbal team did.

Pele was scoring mostly against part-time footballers, many who even had a drink the night before matches. More comparable to today's Conference League football teams.

Having good football skills, self-discipline and training well back in Pele's day would make a decent player like Strurridge a super-star. Messi is playing against trained and conditioned machines in today's football. People that have trained to reach close to their athletic peak

The only people that have more skills than Messi are Ronaldinho and JJ Okocha.

Skills-wise, out of all the potential GOATS, Messi has the best. He is a better dribbler than Maradona, his closest rival in skills, and has scored all types of goals Maradona has scored. Even the hand of God goal.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by RoyalBeams
Even Zidane himself will tell you he is below that league.

Whatever he told and said about Messi, Zidane has been the better player in his generation. He is the greatest in my view.
Original post by doggypounding 69
The man is prolific in every aspect of the game. The chances he creates out of nothing, the dribbling and the ability to run through a whole team. He is the best footballer to play the game.
He proved it against real Madrid last year at the nou camp and once again against Ecuador.

Don't talk about cr7 he's a finisher, he doesn't create chances or makes play like Messi does

ronaldo: pace, two footed, ariel ability, athletic/power, long shots, goalscorer, assists (200 assists), decent playmaker

Messi: pace, dribbling, goalscorer, assister, playmaker, goalscorer .............................
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Kallisto
Whatever he told and said about Messi, Zidane has been the better player in his generation. He is the greatest in my view.

How did you arrive at your view that he is the greatest?
Excuse me? EVERTON PLAYER LI TIE EXCELLENT VERY GOOD LOVE FROM MADAME NHU XXXXX
How did you arrive at your view that he is the greatest?

I liked his passings, his view for his teammates, his wonderful goals, the way he played anyway, his movements were like magic. He was the first footballer who has fascinated and impressed me. Maybe he can be accused for his character flaws as a player when he injures opponent players as hothead. But this does not change my admiration for this football player. In contrast to Messi and Ronaldo today, he had a fierce competition with a lot footballers who came into question to be the world-best football player in every year. And he was awarded three times with this honour at least. In times where a Figo, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Henry, Beckham, the Brazilian Ronaldo, Nedved Eto'o and so on have played. That is just awesome and shows how good he really was.
I liked his passings, his view for his teammates, his wonderful goals, the way he played anyway, his movements were like magic. He was the first footballer who has fascinated and impressed me. Maybe he can be accused for his character flaws as a player when he injures opponent players as hothead. But this does not change my admiration for this football player. In contrast to Messi and Ronaldo today, he had a fierce competition with a lot footballers who came into question to be the world-best football player in every year. And he was awarded three times with this honour at least. In times where a Figo, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Henry, Beckham, the Brazilian Ronaldo, Nedved Eto'o and so on have played. That is just awesome and shows how good he really was.

Based on what you have said, I think it is more appropriate to say he is your favourite player of all time, not the greatest.
Gazza was the best ... not any more :cry2:
Messi is the best player ever. However, CR7 is the second best player ever. Considering he has been the only player to outperform Messi during his peak years (specifically 13/14 and 14/15), he definitely deserves it.

Ronaldo is a machine. The perfect winger; he had it all. Strength, pace, aerial ability, deadly finishing, positioning, relentless work ethic. This made him into a complete attacker. However, Messi is a complete player. What sets Messi and Ronaldo apart is their playmaking - Messi is magisterial. He does things with the ball akin to a magicians trick. It's ridiculous.
In contrast to Messi and Ronaldo today, he had a fierce competition with a lot footballers who came into question to be the world-best football player in every year. And he was awarded three times with this honour at least. In times where a Figo, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Henry, Beckham, the Brazilian Ronaldo, Nedved Eto'o and so on have played. That is just awesome and shows how good he really was.

Players during Messi/Ronaldo era:

Kaka
Adriano
Drogba
Iniesta
Xavi
Higuain
Suarez
Ibrahimovic
Torres
Sneijder
Robben
Ribery
Falcao
van Persie
Sanchez
Neymar
Aguero
Raul
Pirlo
Fabregas
Villa
Rooney
Abby Wambach
Eto'o
Lewandowski
Diego Costa
Bale
Benteke
Modric
(edited 6 years ago)
Based on what you have said, I think it is more appropriate to say he is your favourite player of all time, not the greatest.

The favorite player who is the greatest one in my eyes, yes.

Original post by the bear
Gazza was the best ... not any more :cry2:

It was his own fault that he has fallen so deeply in his career.
The favorite player who is the greatest one in my eyes, yes.

It was his own fault that he has fallen so deeply in his career.

Gazza will be back.... mark my words :yep:
Original post by the bear
Gazza will be back.... mark my words :yep:

Maybe, but not as a football player. You believe in a comeback as a coach, is that so?
i have watched football for many years now and i have not heard of messi once, however i do like good ol peyton manning :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest