The Student Room Group

Struggling at uni?

so it's been two weeks of studying and I already feel as though the difficulty of work is really hard. I just feel like we get no support it's just lecture after lecture and if I drifted off for 2 minutes I can no longer follow. Its like every lecture is rushed and if you didn't follow then that's your problem. I have to learn everything myself. There is no spec for what we do have or don't have to learn. During college I asked a lot of questions and asked for things to be repeated a lot and I feel as though i can't do that here. I honestly don't think that talking at me for an hour is going to help me learn it's just not my style of learning I am learning everything myself. is that normal?
(by the way I am doing chemistry)
Reply 1
What university do you goto? If you don't mind me asking.
Reply 2
Original post by Acetyl
What university do you goto? If you don't mind me asking.

nottingham
That's sort of normal, if you don't understand a lecture it's your responsibility to go away, look in textbooks and try to understand it better. I had a 4th year organic lecture this morning and barely understood a word, however I know that if I go away, re-read the lecture and use my textbook I'll understand. And there should be a syllabus for the module, if not they can't exam you on anything they haven't taught in the lecture series (or in previous years if its relevant)

Nearly every course at every uni is like this
Reply 4
Uni is not school!

Man* up or fail.

My guess is that you have been spoon-fed at school for too long. You have to take some responsibility for your own 'drifting off'. Degree courses aren't like KS3 - the lecturers aren't there to entertain you.

*other sexes are welcome.
Reply 5
Original post by 0408
so it's been two weeks of studying and I already feel as though the difficulty of work is really hard. I just feel like we get no support it's just lecture after lecture and if I drifted off for 2 minutes I can no longer follow. Its like every lecture is rushed and if you didn't follow then that's your problem. I have to learn everything myself. There is no spec for what we do have or don't have to learn. During college I asked a lot of questions and asked for things to be repeated a lot and I feel as though i can't do that here. I honestly don't think that talking at me for an hour is going to help me learn it's just not my style of learning I am learning everything myself. is that normal?
(by the way I am doing chemistry)

Not understanding much from lectures is perfectly normal. You need to do any associated problems and read the notes/books which are relevant.

Quick Reply

Latest