The Student Room Group

What does Ch4.6H2O mean?

I'm actually baffled, don't care if its the easiest thing in the world. Does it mean that it is one whole molecule, or 7 molecules because there is six h20 and one ch4? Appreciate the help :smile:
What is the source of the formula? Was this given in a lesson, book or something else? Can you upload a copy of the context please.
Original post by (NaCl)-ty
I'm actually baffled, don't care if its the easiest thing in the world. Does it mean that it is one whole molecule, or 7 molecules because there is six h20 and one ch4? Appreciate the help :smile:

There is 1C 4H’s and then 6H’s 2O’s
Original post by Reece.W.J
There is 1C 4H’s and then 6H’s 2O’s

Show us the structure and bonding then....
Original post by TutorsChemistry

What? I’m not the one asking the question

Oh wait never mind 1C 4h 12h 6o
Original post by Reece.W.J
What? I’m not the one asking the question

Just wondered if you understood that such a formula makes no chemical sense. :unimpressed:
Just wondered if you understood that such a formula makes no chemical sense. :unimpressed:

Ok ok I posted again
Reply 8
Thanks for the replies. I'm doing an equilibrium question so maybe I should have worded it better. The equation is : CH4.6H2O <--> Ch4 + 6H2O. It asks: in terms of temp and pressure, how would you decrease the equilibrium yield of methane. To form methane its endothermic. I'm just not sure how many molecules ch4.6h20 has ? Maybe it's a typo on the sheet...?
Reply 9
My suspicion is that the questions was set by either a teacher with rubbish chemistry knowledge (like me) or a teacher who has good intentions and wants to set a novel equilibrium question, but who doesn't care about real world limitations over what is possible in chemistry.

Essentially, the Q boils down to:

AX6 <-> A + 6X

It shouldn't matter that AX6 doesn't and can't exist. The Q is attempting to test knowledge of LCP.

But purists like us do worry about Qs that are rubbish as they suggest to students that stuff doesn't matter.
Agreeing with Pigster (once again 😁 ). The question is a good one to test understanding of equilibrium.

And...
You learn something new every day. I have to thank Mr Google for information about a hydrated methane compound that the question is based on.
For anyone interested https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methane_clathrate

Quick Reply

Latest