The Student Room Group

what does circuitous mean in terms of feed back in work

i was given feedback on work saying it was circuitous could anyone explain what this means in terms of my work
Original post by Will789
i was given feedback on work saying it was circuitous could anyone explain what this means in terms of my work

You waffled. Rather than say something that could have been said 10 words, you said it in 50 words. You didn't cut-to-the-chase. You went the long way around explaining things ....
Reply 2
Original post by Will789

Not sure, maybe they think you could be more efficient/concise? You never said what type of work you do, but if it involves writing then maybe you use more words than you need for a lot of tasks.
Reply 3
Original post by threeportdrift
You waffled. Rather than say something that could have been said 10 words, you said it in 50 words. You didn't cut-to-the-chase. You went the long way around explaining things ....

ohhh **** that will explain it as it was feedback on an essay
she said it was a very big issue i needed to seriously improve upon
i think it was because i went over the word count slighly she seemed fairly pissed off
Reply 4
Original post by xylas
Not sure, maybe they think you could be more efficient/concise? You never said what type of work you do, but if it involves writing then maybe you use more words than you need for a lot of tasks.

it was an essay i wrote and i went over the word count slighly she said it was a "big issue i needed to sort out"
Reply 5
Original post by Will789
it was an essay i wrote and i went over the word count slighly she said it was a "big issue i needed to sort out"

Yeah thought so. It's not just the word count, it's your writing style. Going over the word count is a consequence of circuitous writing.
Original post by Will789

It probably wasn't just going slightly over the wordcount. Sounds like your writing style is long winded and what you wrote could have been written in much less than the word count. That means you don't cover as much material, and therefore get the grades.

Quick Reply

Latest