The Student Room Group

Should I mention my disabilities on my Personal Statement?

I would ask the teachers in my own school but I feel uncomfortable doing that so I came here.

I’m currently in the process of writing my CV and Personal Statement for when I start applying for colleges and universities later in the year. One issue that I had is whether I should mention my disabilities or not.

I have a visual impairment which means that I can’t do things like drive or read small print. I also have high functioning autism which limits my social skills.

I can see the pros and cons of doing both. It would be good for professors and others to be aware and it would make uni life easier since there would be people aware. However no matter how many laws there are in place there will still be people denying me because I’m at this disadvantage. If I don’t mention it I would look normal.

So should I mention this or not? Thank you in advance
Original post by Squishy Pixelz
I would ask the teachers in my own school but I feel uncomfortable doing that so I came here.

I’m currently in the process of writing my CV and Personal Statement for when I start applying for colleges and universities later in the year. One issue that I had is whether I should mention my disabilities or not.

I have a visual impairment which means that I can’t do things like drive or read small print. I also have high functioning autism which limits my social skills.

I can see the pros and cons of doing both. It would be good for professors and others to be aware and it would make uni life easier since there would be people aware. However no matter how many laws there are in place there will still be people denying me because I’m at this disadvantage. If I don’t mention it I would look normal.

Just put it in the disabilities section, you can write details there and they don't see that section until after giving you an offer.
Original post by Squishy Pixelz

It's always best to notify so that universities can put the support in place for you in advance of your eventual arrival.:yes:

For more an disability at university feel free to check out the Disabled Students forum.
Reply 3
it would be a good idea to mention them and prove what you have achieved through it
This sort of stuff really should be in your teacher's reference - ie. 'Squishy is determined that his/her disabilities will not hold her back and has achieved excellent grades in spite of some obvious imitations' (or whatever).

Its only worth mentioning this in your PS if its relevant to something else you are saying and proves something important about you - ie 'I took part in Race for Life despite my visual impairment, I had a great day, and raise £xx for charity'. If you just state it and it looks like asking for the sympathy vote it can backfire - ie. its not a 'qualification' and can read like 'poor me' rather than 'I've succeeded despite all this'.
My son who is now a fresher at Uni did mention his disability in the penultimate paragraph of his Personal Statement last year .He kept it factual and linked it to something he had achieved. It went something like this:

I have a disability;autistic spectrum disorder. I never let it hold me back. In fact this year I have set up a quiet room with trained student mentors so that younger children with/without disabilities can come and discuss any issues they have that are affecting them at school. Having a disability myself means I can often help others who may not talk to a teacher.....etc etc.

He received all 5 offers from his Uni choices and is now studying at a very small community centred Uni which is the right fit for him, after turning down a few more prestigious Uni’s. If you can find positives from your disability then mention them.
There's a reason why there is a disability section on UCAS, PS isn't the place to put it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending