The Student Room Group

Extremely Worried and Stressed...

I have applied for medicine via UCAS, with my 5th option being biochemistry at Surrey- for which I have already received an offer.

I keep deciding against and then reconsidering medicine, I am unsure whether I should change my UCAS options within the 2 week grace period. Even then, I am unsure what I would change my options to (unsure about biochem too) and if I would be likely to get an offer from more prestigious universities with a medicine personal statement (which I can no longer change).

In fact, I am unsure whether I even want to study any sciences as the rote learning at A-level has really been unpleasant although I initially found the topics interesting. I enjoy sciences and the arts but primarily I like to think creatively- maybe I should even consider philosophy?
I am feeling very lost. My dream would be to wake up one morning and know exactly what my passion would be - but I don't think this will ever happen.

If anyone who was in this sort of situation previously and/or can provide advice on what to do I would be very grateful. For your information I am studying chemistry, art and biology and am predicted A*A*A respectively.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by aytuiq
I have applied for medicine via UCAS, with my 5th option being biochemistry at Surrey- for which I have already received an offer.

I keep deciding against and then reconsidering medicine, I am unsure whether I should change my UCAS options within the 2 week grace period. Even then, I am unsure what I would change my options to (unsure about biochem too) and if I would be likely to get an offer from more prestigious universities with a medicine personal statement (which I can no longer change).

In fact, I am unsure whether I even want to study any sciences as the rote learning at A-level has really been unpleasant although I initially found the topics interesting. I enjoy sciences and the arts but primarily I like to think creatively- maybe I should even consider philosophy?
I am feeling very lost. My dream would be to wake up one morning and know exactly what my passion would be - but I don't think this will ever happen.

If anyone who was in this sort of situation previously and/or can provide advice on what to do I would be very grateful. For your information I am studying chemistry, art and biology and am predicted A*A*A respectively.

You're predicted these grades for a reason.
You're doing something right so make it count.
Reply 2
Original post by TheAlchemistress
You're predicted these grades for a reason.
You're doing something right so make it count.

Thanks for your comment.

If I may ask, what are you studying?
Reply 3
Original post by aytuiq

You chose medicine for a reason. Keep reminding yourself of that reason.
Reply 4
Original post by Pedaly7
You chose medicine for a reason. Keep reminding yourself of that reason.

The reason was my enjoyment of shadowing a surgeon in a hospital. I could imagine myself doing that job. However, I do not feel I have enough passion for potentially 12 years of study. I currently would feel indifferent to study medicine or something else, I just feel it's too late now to change. I just want to use my brain cells and think - rather than learn the contents of heaps of medical textbooks or any textbooks for that matter. I wish one could become a surgeon by the method used in the 18th century and before - apprenticeships.
Reply 5
Original post by aytuiq
The reason was my enjoyment of shadowing a surgeon in a hospital. I could imagine myself doing that job. However, I do not feel I have enough passion for potentially 12 years of study. I currently would feel indifferent to study medicine or something else, I just feel it's too late now to change. I just want to use my brain cells and think - rather than learn the contents of heaps of medical textbooks or any textbooks for that matter. I wish one could become a surgeon by the method used in the 18th century and before - apprenticeships.

If you want a more active approach to medicine you can change your UCAS choices to universities that focus on a more hands-on curriculum and teaching methods.
Also if you're really lost a gap year isn't that bad of a choice. It would give you time to think everything over and go out there and find out what it is that you want to do.
Reply 6
Original post by Pedaly7
If you want a more active approach to medicine you can change your UCAS choices to universities that focus on a more hands-on curriculum and teaching methods.
Also if you're really lost a gap year isn't that bad of a choice. It would give you time to think everything over and go out there and find out what it is that you want to do.

I have specifically opted for medical schools without a hands on approach in the first few years, this is because I have mediocre social skills and need time to improve these gradually.

A gap year is probably a reasonable thing to do, but I feel I would never end up studying if I did so and would lose the little inspiration to study I have left.

Apologies for being difficult and thanks for your suggestions!
Original post by aytuiq

Medicine involves a lot of thinking. I don't know where people have got this idea that it's just memorisation? You're treating human beings, not robots - they don't act like textbooks so rote memorisation of books will only take you so far.

There is a lot of learning from textbooks yes, but that merely forms the basis of your clinical knowledge, rather like how your driving theory teaches you the rules of the road but can't ever replace actually driving a car in real life and learning to cope with the rain, the dark, other drivers, new routes, etc. In a similar way, real life doctoring doesn't just mean being a professional parrot and reciting textbooks in a hospital environment. Surgeons do have to sit exams, but being a surgeon is a very practical job first and foremost.

Regardless, it's definitely not too late to make changes and you shouldn't feel trapped. A UCAS application is just that - an application. It's not a binding contract. You sound rather confused, and that's not uncommon. If you think there's still a significant chance you'd be interested in doing medicine, I'd go ahead with your application and see what happens whilst aiming to get the best grades possible. In a few months time when you have your offers, you can reassess and see how you're feeling. Worst case, you're still utterly confused and feeling like you can't commit - in which case you can withdraw your application and take some time out to do some soul searching.

However, your "dream" of wanting to wake up with everything sorted out and clarified in your mind is also very unlikely to happen when it comes to something as big as what you want to do with your life. So if you're expecting a big epiphany you might end up waiting rather a long time.
Reply 8
Original post by aytuiq

You may or may not know the saying that when you need to make a big decision, you should flip a coin, and regardless of the actual result, you'll know what you want it to be while the coin's in the air.

You could try something like that; it may be, for example, that when the time comes to accept or reject your offers, you will know.

Remember even on results day you can decide not to begin a course and take a gap year or apply to other courses through clearing.

If you do decide to apply for medicine, remember you can pursue the arts through societies, or even intercalated degrees with arts components - such as a course with a lot about ethics or philosophy in medicine.

You have plenty of time to decide; you can always take a gap year and reapply. But don't commit yourself to 5 years of study and then furthermore training if you're not 100% sure.

Also? If you pursue a career in another area, the option is always there to do postgraduate/graduate-entry medicine.

Tl;dr take all the time you need to decide - remember even if you start (or complete!) any degree, you can still do more later. And if you need to take a year out now to help you decide, absolutely do it.
Original post by aytuiq
Thanks for your comment.

If I may ask, what are you studying?

A-Levels:
English Literature
Art
Geography

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending