The Student Room Group

does this make sense? please help

ive been looking at my personal statement for so long now my brain is really jumbled. could someone please see if this makes sense

"medicine is a perfect manifestation of science"
Personally don't understand the point of what you are trying to say...sometimes fancy wording is unnecessary and you're better to use simple English and better structure to get your point across clearly! Good luck
Reply 2
Original post by student27839
Personally don't understand the point of what you are trying to say...sometimes fancy wording is unnecessary and you're better to use simple English and better structure to get your point across clearly! Good luck

I agree
Reply 3
Original post by student27839

okay thank you!
Reply 4
It's not really clear what you're trying to say, the admissions tutor would probably be skeptical as to whether it really is 'perfect', and most likely bring it up in interview.
It would only make sense if you explain why you think that medicine is a perfect manifestation of science. I kinda know what you are trying to say, but science is not just animal/human biology and chemistry; there are also physics, geology, plant biology etc. Many people, probably even the admissions tutor would disagree that medicine is a perfect manifestation of science.
Reply 6
thank you all for your replies :smile: what about "the perfect application of science" since it's science being put into practice?
Reply 7
noted thank you! that was the plan but i ran out of characters :/
Original post by Ethics Maniac
It would only make sense if you explain why you think that medicine is a perfect manifestation of science. I kinda know what you are trying to say, but science is not just animal/human biology and chemistry; there are also physics, geology, plant biology etc. Many people, probably even the admissions tutor would disagree that medicine is a perfect manifestation of science.
Original post by 543216789
thank you all for your replies :smile: what about "the perfect application of science" since it's science being put into practice?

What's 'perfect' about it?! I do not think this is phraseology reads as you intend it to.

'Application' is much better than 'manifestation' though.
Reply 9
thanks for your feedback! , I've taken the perfect part out all together
Original post by nexttime
What's 'perfect' about it?! I do not think this is phraseology reads as you intend it to.

'Application' is much better than 'manifestation' though.
Original post by 543216789

I'd be careful about using perfect. In what sense do you mean it? If we're talking application of scientific concepts and techniques, medicine is pretty flawed really. Massive human element both from patients and doctors/nurses etc. Talk to any old school surgeon or nurse and they will have a list of things they do because "thats the way I've always done it", or "I just know it works". We do plenty of things that we know work but can't prove how or why they work.

That is probably a little beyond the point but it just reads as a little naive. Talking about it as a way of using science... great. Using terms such as perfect, not so much..
Reply 11
Original post by ForestCat
I'd be careful about using perfect. In what sense do you mean it? If we're talking application of scientific concepts and techniques, medicine is pretty flawed really. Massive human element both from patients and doctors/nurses etc. Talk to any old school surgeon or nurse and they will have a list of things they do because "thats the way I've always done it", or "I just know it works". We do plenty of things that we know work but can't prove how or why they work.

That is probably a little beyond the point but it just reads as a little naive. Talking about it as a way of using science... great. Using terms such as perfect, not so much..

Thank you! I totally understand where you're coming from, I've taken that part out and everyone's been really helpful in making me realise why it's a flawed argument. In hindsight I agree that it does make me look naive because I feel like that was a biased view to have in the first place and it's important to have an understanding of the shortcomings of medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending