The Student Room Group

well my ucas form is screwed

Essentially until recently, I have been having issues verifying my ucas account. Whilst I have asked my referee to submit a reference beforehand, it seems ucas didnt send anything until today and is showing the reference section as incomplete (despite their details being written down).

I have tried contacting them with my uni and personal emails but haven't received anything from them yet. I am contacting UCAS tomorrow morning but it looks bleak (curse you friday 13th).

What should I do?

Scroll to see replies

Check with UCAS first thing tomorrow. That is all you can do.

[This folks, is what happens when you leave everything to the deadline.....]
you might need to contact your referee to check whether they have submitted the reference
Reply 3
Original post by quasa
Essentially until recently, I have been having issues verifying my ucas account. Whilst I have asked my referee to submit a reference beforehand, it seems ucas didnt send anything until today and is showing the reference section as incomplete (despite their details being written down).

I have tried contacting them with my uni and personal emails but haven't received anything from them yet. I am contacting UCAS tomorrow morning but it looks bleak (curse you friday 13th).

What should I do?

Oh dear, bless you. Have you tried getting in direct touch with UCAS through their social media profiles? The one they have on twitter (@ucas_online)gives feedback and advice!
Original post by returnmigrant

That folks is what happens if you contact your academic referee 2 weeks ago and finish most of your application in September minus personal statement.

I apparently didnt verify my ucas application and it wasnt until I contacted them this week they decided to sort it out.
If it's not for a course where the deadline is gone then don't fret, the application deadline isn't until January and applying earlier doesn't give you an advantage. If it is for one of those courses, then I totally get why you're panicking
Original post by quasa
That folks is what happens if you contact your academic referee 2 weeks ago and finish most of your application in September minus personal statement.

I apparently didnt verify my ucas application and it wasnt until I contacted them this week they decided to sort it out.

That error is because your referee hasn't added your reference yet (either because they tried earlier and couldn't or because they didn't get the UCAS email (junk folders!) or because they've not got round to it yet.

I'd speak to your referee first. Is there anyone else who could provide a reference over the weekend (maybe someone academic you're in contact with over social media) if you can't contact your referee over the weekend?

UCAS might be able to confirm whether the invite has been sent or not - or if you need to change your referee they could swap the details. They can't help if it's simply that your referee hasn't logged in after they've sent the request.

Original post by marshalld67
If it's not for a course where the deadline is gone then don't fret, the application deadline isn't until January and applying earlier doesn't give you an advantage. If it is for one of those courses, then I totally get why you're panicking

This thread is in the medicine forum
Original post by PQ
That error is because your referee hasn't added your reference yet (either because they tried earlier and couldn't or because they didn't get the UCAS email (junk folders!) or because they've not got round to it yet.

I'd speak to your referee first. Is there anyone else who could provide a reference over the weekend (maybe someone academic you're in contact with over social media) if you can't contact your referee over the weekend?

UCAS might be able to confirm whether the invite has been sent or not - or if you need to change your referee they could swap the details. They can't help if it's simply that your referee hasn't logged in after they've sent the request.

This thread is in the medicine forum

the only other person I can think of ifor academic s my project tutor. Slight problem is a) I graduated 4 years ago and b) in that time, that person is now head of the pharmacy school (I tried contacting them before freshers via email and telephone but no response - they were weirdly enough my first choice and my current one is 2nd).

I was considering the superintendent pharmacist for the place I did my pre-reg but it is short notice and have no idea their state of health as they were quite ill a few months ago. Also I cant get a work reference as I manage my own locum contracts and the places I work for wont give me one as a) i am not their employee and b) I am not applying to work for them.
Original post by quasa
the only other person I can think of ifor academic s my project tutor. Slight problem is a) I graduated 4 years ago and b) in that time, that person is now head of the pharmacy school (I tried contacting them before freshers via email and telephone but no response - they were weirdly enough my first choice and my current one is 2nd).

I was considering the superintendent pharmacist for the place I did my pre-reg but it is short notice and have no idea their state of health as they were quite ill a few months ago. Also I cant get a work reference as I manage my own locum contracts and the places I work for wont give me one as a) i am not their employee and b) I am not applying to work for them.

desperate times....I'd get on to anyone who might be suitable via facebook or similar (it's more immediate than email) and explain the situation.

Worst case scenario I'd get a work colleague to provide a reference (and get them to explain that you can provide a follow academic reference if required).
Original post by PQ
desperate times....I'd get on to anyone who might be suitable via facebook or similar (it's more immediate than email) and explain the situation.

Worst case scenario I'd get a work colleague to provide a reference (and get them to explain that you can provide a follow academic reference if required).

I am currently using desperate measures. the employment referee is a no go else they will get sacked and most people on FB are my actual friends and not people I could use for references. Im trying linkedin and waiting and seeing.
Original post by quasa
I am currently using desperate measures. the employment referee is a no go else they will get sacked and most people on FB are my actual friends and not people I could use for references. Im trying linkedin and waiting and seeing.

Fingers crossed.

If it gets to Sunday and you're still without a referee I would suggest contacting ucas to get the reference email sent to one of your own alternate email addresses, adding in the name and contact details of someone you know *would* provide a reference if there hadn't been communication problems and explaining in the reference box that you've been unable to get a reference submitted by the deadline but that the reference will follow shortly. It's not ideal but it's worth a shot.
Original post by PQ
Fingers crossed.

If it gets to Sunday and you're still without a referee I would suggest contacting ucas to get the reference email sent to one of your own alternate email addresses, adding in the name and contact details of someone you know *would* provide a reference if there hadn't been communication problems and explaining in the reference box that you've been unable to get a reference submitted by the deadline but that the reference will follow shortly. It's not ideal but it's worth a shot.

another issue is Im working tomorrow and sunday as well so I am whelped. but yes, fingers crossed an pester ucas first thing in the morning
Reply 12
Wait for Friday the 13th to be over then you can sort your life out
Original post by Boksman
Wait for Friday the 13th to be over then you can sort your life out

swears at rotten luck (and yes people, luck exists and you dont make)
Reply 14

Note the distinct lack of empathy, 'folks'. Do you work in customer service?
Reply 15
Original post by quasa

What should I do?

I think you just have to try and chase it up like crazy with all parties involved tomorrow, sorry that's the best I can suggest :frown: I would say UCAS especially, because even though they're not always the most helpful they will be the ones most likely to have dealt with similar issues before and know how to advise you.
Original post by abc:)
I think you just have to try and chase it up like crazy with all parties involved tomorrow, sorry that's the best I can suggest :frown: I would say UCAS especially, because even though they're not always the most helpful they will be the ones most likely to have dealt with similar issues before and know how to advise you.

Thats the plan. Im just annoyed my academic referee choices weren't able to help me within time(former too busy; latter, who I chose a) couldnt remember who I was and b) had no access to my module breakdowns or anything I did at uni.).

I looking to try and sort out a work referee, providing they can actually give me one without repurcussions
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by PQ
Fingers crossed.

You can I think also submit your application without a reference - ie. I think the UCAS system will let you do this.

Unis still get your application but with a standard one-liner in the reference space about having agreed with the Uni not to submit a reference.
As you have applied within the deadline your application is still valid but the Uni will then contact you for a reference - ie. this would give you breathing space to get the reference sorted out with jeopardising you entire application.
(edited 6 years ago)
You can I think also submit your application without a reference - ie. I think the UCAS system will let you do this.

Unis still get your application but with a standard one-liner in the reference space about having agreed with the Uni nitto submit a reference.
As you have applied within the deadline your application is still valid but the Uni will then contact you for a reference - ie. this would give you breathing space to get the reference sorted out with jeopardising you entire application.

Im going to speak with UCAS re: this today. I have been waiting to submit my application for a few days (had a few grammatical checks and modded the ps in that time) but I got massively screwed over by ucas over the verification of my UCAS account (how many times does one have to verify their bleeping account and send requests for verification). Also doesnt help my academic reference hasnt submitted anything yet
spoken to ucas, cosnidering I still havent had any luck, ive decided to submit an professional one (although that itself is complicated) and I am waiting for that

Latest

Trending

Trending