The Student Room Group

How likely am I to get an interview at Cambridge?

I just sent off my application today for Uni and I was wondering how likely I am to get an interview for Cambridge for Human, Social and political sciences. My predicted grades are A*AA plus A* in EPQ (it should have been A*A*A but my college ****ed it up) as well as good AS module scores in my one modular subject (politics where I got full marks in one of my modules). My AS levels were AAB (plus an E but that I dropped and has extenuating circumstances as the class had no teacher for most of the year and so I was one of around only 20% of the class who even managed to pass it). My GCSEs were not Cambridge standard but once again I have extenuating circumstances in that I have dyspraxia for which I recieved little to no proper support for from my old school and even some levels of discrimination (which is all in my reference). I know my personal statement should be solid and also my college is classed as 'aspiring' by many unis (meaning a bit ****).
Original post by srwobree
I just sent off my application today for Uni and I was wondering how likely I am to get an interview for Cambridge for Human, Social and political sciences. My predicted grades are A*AA plus A* in EPQ (it should have been A*A*A but my college ****ed it up) as well as good AS module scores in my one modular subject (politics where I got full marks in one of my modules). My AS levels were AAB (plus an E but that I dropped and has extenuating circumstances as the class had no teacher for most of the year and so I was one of around only 20% of the class who even managed to pass it). My GCSEs were not Cambridge standard but once again I have extenuating circumstances in that I have dyspraxia for which I recieved little to no proper support for from my old school and even some levels of discrimination (which is all in my reference). I know my personal statement should be solid and also my college is classed as 'aspiring' by many unis (meaning a bit ****).

as likely as a monkey landing on mars
Reply 2
Original post by study beats
as likely as a monkey landing on mars

Considering the history of space travel and monkeys that probably isn't that unlikely :wink:
Reply 3
I'd say you're likely. They give interviews to a lot of people (I'm fairly sure I'm gonna get one), but whether you get an actual offer is a different story (fairly sure that I'm gonna get an interview, for example, but it's unlikely I'll get an offer). Unless your stuff is significantly below what they expect, they'll probably give you one.
Reply 4
Original post by Heirio
I'd say you're likely. They give interviews to a lot of people (I'm fairly sure I'm gonna get one), but whether you get an actual offer is a different story (fairly sure that I'm gonna get an interview, for example, but it's unlikely I'll get an offer). Unless your stuff is significantly below what they expect, they'll probably give you one.

You can still get an offer dw. If you smash the interview it dm about the rest of it
Reply 5
You can still get an offer dw. If you smash the interview it dm about the rest of it

True, interviews - done well - give a very good impression.
Do you have to send in a piece of coursework for your course?
I don't see why you shouldn't get an offer is your PS, interview and tests are fab.:biggrin: These variables, like for any candidates, are crucial for success.:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Heirio
True, interviews - done well - give a very good impression.
Do you have to send in a piece of coursework for your course?

Yes I do but my politics teacher is working on that with me
Reply 8

If you are realistically on target for the typical offer (which you are) you are likely to get an interview.

By the way, I've seen people with "poor" GCSEs and AABD at AS-level get offers. Without extenuating circumstances.
I’ve just applied with AAB at AS for law and I’m hopeful that I’ll at least get an interview! I think because they’re getting rid of AS and not many schools are doing them for every subject it’d be unfair to judge a candidate solely on that now!
Reply 10
Original post by hollyoliviax
I’ve just applied with AAB at AS for law and I’m hopeful that I’ll at least get an interview! I think because they’re getting rid of AS and not many schools are doing them for every subject it’d be unfair to judge a candidate solely on that now!

They never solely judged applicants on AS-levels. But as the most recent academic measure they were and still can be relatively important.
Original post by Doonesbury
They never solely judged applicants on AS-levels. But as the most recent academic measure they were and still can be relatively important.

Yeah of course! What I meant was that if your gcses are excellent and you perform well at interview with the right predicted grades, one B at AS might not ruin an application 🤷🏼*♀️
Reply 12
Original post by hollyoliviax
Yeah of course! What I meant was that if your gcses are excellent and you perform well at interview with the right predicted grades, one B at AS might not ruin an application 🤷🏼*♀️

Yes, it might not. :wink:
Original post by Doonesbury
Yes, it might not. :wink:

Well then let’s hope mine doesn’t :wink:
Why do ppl think they can just get into oxbridge because their life went downhill during GCSEs and a levels?
Original post by Reece.W.J
Why do ppl think they can just get into oxbridge because their life went downhill during GCSEs and a levels?
:erm: because maybe they were unfortunate but are deserving of a place? I don't see why else anyone would have this set of beliefs.

Quick Reply

Latest