The Student Room Group

Self-teaching further maths

Hi, so i'm currently in year 13 and considering self studying further maths. I've applied to two universities (so far) for computer science, and for one of them further maths is highly recommended. My school offers further maths at A Level/AS however I chose not to take it, which i'm regretting. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to start self-studying FM, and whether it would be a good idea to study C4 beforehand? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Ophidia
Hi, so i'm currently in year 13 and considering self studying further maths. I've applied to two universities (so far) for computer science, and for one of them further maths is highly recommended. My school offers further maths at A Level/AS however I chose not to take it, which i'm regretting. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to start self-studying FM, and whether it would be a good idea to study C4 beforehand? :smile:

Are you only planning to do an AS? Which exam board are you with?
Reply 2
Original post by Pangol
Are you only planning to do an AS? Which exam board are you with?

Our school uses Edexcel, and i'm really not sure - I was planning on trying the modules and seeing how I get on. My main problem is that I had a difficult year with mental health in year 12 (diagnosed in middle of exams) and i've been focusing on improving my main A Levels, hence why I didn't opt for the AS at school beginning of year 13 :redface:
Reply 3
Original post by Ophidia
Our school uses Edexcel, and i'm really not sure - I was planning on trying the modules and seeing how I get on. My main problem is that I had a difficult year with mental health in year 12 (diagnosed in middle of exams) and i've been focusing on improving my main A Levels, hence why I didn't opt for the AS at school beginning of year 13 :redface:

I would say that your first consideration should be to make sure you are going to get what you need out of your main A Levels. You should definitely see this as an optional extra. Following on from this, I would say that trying to do the entire A Level in a year is just too much to take on.

If you do decide to go ahead with the AS, the most important thing for you will be a good choice of units (as you are doing the old spec for regular maths, you can also do it for the AS this year). Which applied units are you doing in your regular maths course?
Reply 4
Original post by Pangol
I would say that your first consideration should be to make sure you are going to get what you need out of your main A Levels. You should definitely see this as an optional extra. Following on from this, I would say that trying to do the entire A Level in a year is just too much to take on.

If you do decide to go ahead with the AS, the most important thing for you will be a good choice of units (as you are doing the old spec for regular maths, you can also do it for the AS this year). Which applied units are you doing in your regular maths course?

Thanks for the advice :smile: I chose M1 in year 12 and have chosen D1 for my year 13 module - I also took statistics at gcse so S1 would be ideal if applicable for FM?
Reply 5
Original post by Ophidia
Thanks for the advice :smile: I chose M1 in year 12 and have chosen D1 for my year 13 module - I also took statistics at gcse so S1 would be ideal if applicable for FM?

I was going to suggest D1 if you hadn't already done it, because it is so easy (if dull), that it would give you a break from the hard stuff. But if you're already familiar with statistics, S1 would be ideal. You must do FP1, but it's not too hard - it is effectively the C1 of Further Maths. Your problem is selecting a good third unit - I'm not as familiar with the Edexcel FM units as I am with the AQA ones, so someone else may have better advice here.
Original post by Ophidia

For the AS the only compulsory module is FP1 :smile:, but if you're applying for CompSci I would recommend doing D2 this year as well (it's easy if you're doing D1 alongside). S1 is quite nice but if you're doing Physics A-Level M2 might be be equally nice?
Original post by Ophidia

Also if you need any help with any modules feel free to message/tag me, I've done S1, FP1, D1&2 at AS and am doing M1&2, FP2 and S2 this year :smile:

(I got an average of 98 last year :wink: )
S2 is the nicest module I'm doing this year.
Original post by Ophidia

The reason FM is recommended for computer science students is that its a very mathematical subject at degree level and the more maths you have done the easier it will be. As it's only recommended, they will have plans to teach you what you need when you are on the course. If you have some spare time, consider not worrying about getting an AS or A level qualification and just study the extra content. Do FP1 and see how you get on, it only requires C1/2 knowledge. If all goes well enter for the exam and if you are on top of your other subjects have a look at doing more.
Reply 10
Original post by Pangol
I was going to suggest D1 if you hadn't already done it, because it is so easy (if dull), that it would give you a break from the hard stuff. But if you're already familiar with statistics, S1 would be ideal. You must do FP1, but it's not too hard - it is effectively the C1 of Further Maths. Your problem is selecting a good third unit - I'm not as familiar with the Edexcel FM units as I am with the AQA ones, so someone else may have better advice here.

Okay, I might have a look at S1 (our school has a textbook pdf) and see if I can get a textbook to try out FP1 :smile:

Original post by ImprobableCacti
Also if you need any help with any modules feel free to message/tag me, I've done S1, FP1, D1&2 at AS and am doing M1&2, FP2 and S2 this year :smile:

(I got an average of 98 last year :wink: )

Thank you! ooh congratulations on that average :smile: I might just have a go at FP1 - do you have any recommendations for how to tackle it (e.g. notes/ questions etc)? :biggrin:

Original post by black1blade
S2 is the nicest module I'm doing this year.

What modules are you doing? :smile:

Original post by gdunne42
The reason FM is recommended for computer science students is that its a very mathematical subject at degree level and the more maths you have done the easier it will be. As it's only recommended, they will have plans to teach you what you need when you are on the course. If you have some spare time, consider not worrying about getting an AS or A level qualification and just study the extra content. Do FP1 and see how you get on, it only requires C1/2 knowledge. If all goes well enter for the exam and if you are on top of your other subjects have a look at doing more.

Okay, thank you - I think something like this this might be ideal, as I don't want to sacrifice my other a levels but would like to try out FM :smile: Have you studied FP1, and if so would you say that it's noticeably more difficult than core, or is it just different?
Original post by Ophidia

Okay, thank you - I think something like this this might be ideal, as I don't want to sacrifice my other a levels but would like to try out FM :smile: Have you studied FP1, and if so would you say that it's noticeably more difficult than core, or is it just different?

FP1 is a bit harder than C2 and I'd say easier than C4, it covers a some new topics that you won't have seen before. FP2 and FP3 are definitely more challenging than C4.
This year I'm doing fp1-3, s2, m2 and d1.
Reply 13
Original post by Ophidia
Okay, I might have a look at S1 (our school has a textbook pdf) and see if I can get a textbook to try out FP1 :smile:

One other thing to bear in mind, if you find that you like the further pure units, is that once you have done FP1, you can do either (or both) of FP2 and FP3. FP3 doesn't follow on from FP2 - they are independent of each other, and are supposed to be of equal difficulty.
fp1 just introduces you to lots of new types maths, like complex numbers and matrices. Its different, but not that hard. The difficult stuff comes in fp2 and 3, where you study the content from fp1 in much more detail.
For as I'd say fp1, s1 and either s2 or d2 would be the best. I mean if you want it to be useful fp2 would also be good but it's really hard and you need to finish c3 and 4 before doing fp2 and 3. It depends what unis you are applying to because some don't care which modules you do.
Original post by black1blade
For as I'd say fp1, s1 and either s2 or d2 would be the best. I mean if you want it to be useful fp2 would also be good but it's really hard and you need to finish c3 and 4 before doing fp2 and 3. It depends what unis you are applying to because some don't care which modules you do.

Don’t do d2. Its far more difficult than d1 and very easy to drop a lot of marks in. S2 is easy, so I would stick to that. You could do m2 if you prefer mechanics, its not that bad but definitely harder than s2.
Original post by Dashboard
Don’t do d2. Its far more difficult than d1 and very easy to drop a lot of marks in. S2 is easy, so I would stick to that. You could do m2 if you prefer mechanics, its not that bad but definitely harder than s2.

Ah okay I don't have any experience with d2 but maybe it's quite different on different exam boards because I've heard that it's really easy from others. That said people say d1 is easy but I think it's quite hard lol. I'm expecting it to be my lowest ums mark tbh.
FP1 is harder than core - yes - but once you get your head around complex numbers being just like surds it gets a lot easier (for the first few chapters at least). Definitely make sure your coordinate geometry is strong (it's kinda hard at first and involves lots of simultaneous equations) and practice series and proofs (they're the long mark questions).

I've heard FMSQ is good and I think hegarty has some good videos to explain stuff :smile:

The trick is to do ALL of the past papers (you'll find the patterns then :wink: )
Original post by Dashboard

Really? I found D2 easier than D1 as it doesn't require you to be AS perfect as D1 (and if you're doing it alongside D1 it crosses over a lot). Also Decision maths is literally algorithms - it couldn't connect to CompSci more.

Quick Reply

Latest