The Student Room Group

Am i good enough for LSE ?

I got A* in business, A in IT and an A in Economics at A- Level and wish to go to LSE for international relations. I am spending a gap year in China which i believe will help and i have also attended some political talk by famous politicians and have read around the topic a lot. I have already applied but i'm just getting anxious now so interest in peoples opinions. (i have also been told i have weak A-Levels, what ever that means) . Thanks alot
Original post by Jackhud147
I got A* in business, A in IT and an A in Economics at A- Level and wish to go to LSE for international relations. I am spending a gap year in China which i believe will help and i have also attended some political talk by famous politicians and have read around the topic a lot. I have already applied but i'm just getting anxious now so interest in peoples opinions. (i have also been told i have weak A-Levels, what ever that means) . Thanks alot
Depends how good your personal statement is. But I wouldn't be surprised if you were made an offer based on those grades.:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by 04MR17
Depends how good your personal statement is. But I wouldn't be surprised if you were made an offer based on those grades.:smile:

thanks for a reply. Is it true their is such thing as weak A-Levels

thanks

thanks
Depends on your point of view. There are some who argue that anything straying outside of Maths, Chemistry and Physics are "weak" subjects. There may be an element of truth to the difficulty of some subjects more than others, but my results demonstrate that that is not a general rule as such. Either way, the most important thing is the grades, and you have delivered on that.:smile:

thanks

No such thing as weak, more like "less competitive".

thanks

Not necessarily weak; more not favoured. If you're applying for a Maths degree, subjects like Maths and Physics will definitely be required over like English, whereas the opposite is true when applying for something like English.

Although some subjects (notably FM, Physics, Chemistry) are seen as the hardest A-levels.
Reply 6
Original post by Pidge Gunderson
Not necessarily weak; more not favoured. If you're applying for a Maths degree, subjects like Maths and Physics will definitely be required over like English, whereas the opposite is true when applying for something like English.

Although some subjects (notably FM, Physics, Chemistry) are seen as the hardest A-levels.

so for a degree such as international relations where there is no direct A-Levels ,unlike maths or econ for example, all A-Levels are pretty much even with exception to Physics, Chem and Maths.
so for a degree such as international relations where there is no direct A-Levels ,unlike maths or econ for example, all A-Levels are pretty much even with exception to Physics, Chem and Maths.

The vast majority of A-levels. Obviously don't take really obscure ones. As a good rule of thumb, take facilitating subjects.
The vast majority of A-levels. Obviously don't take really obscure ones. As a good rule of thumb, take facilitating subjects.
Depends on the course you wish to study though. If you wish to pursue classics for instance, then A Level classics might be the thing for you. Similar to Law if your school offer it.

thanks

Your individual subjects are good, but the problem is the combination.

LSE regard economics and business as overlapping A-levels, so they won’t regard you as having 3 full A-levels as is required.

To improve your chances I would recommend you sit another A-level this year, perhaps history so that you have a facilitating subject. Also you have to take a history module in first year IR at LSE so it would be helpful anyway.
Being brutally honest I personally think it's very unlikely you'll get an offer.
1. Most LSE students will get your grades or above.
2. IR is one of there most competitive courses.
3. People will call your subjects 'weak' because you have no facilitating subjects.
4. ICT is unrelated to your course and LSE don't like people who have both economics and business as they're too similar.

Ways to potentially get an offer
1. As the person above stated: Take another A Level.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by LeapingLucy
Your individual subjects are good, but the problem is the combination.

LSE regard economics and business as overlapping A-levels, so they won’t regard you as having 3 full A-levels as is required.

To improve your chances I would recommend you sit another A-level this year, perhaps history so that you have a facilitating subject. Also you have to take a history module in first year IR at LSE so it would be helpful anyway.

Thats a bit of a bummer. By the sounds of it, it sounds highly improbable ill get an offer. Wish i knew this when picking A-Levels.
Original post by 04MR17
Depends on the course you wish to study though. If you wish to pursue classics for instance, then A Level classics might be the thing for you. Similar to Law if your school offer it.

A-level Law isn't even well-regarded by top universities. They prefer more traditional essay subjects e.g. History.
A-level Law isn't even well-regarded by top universities. They prefer more traditional essay subjects e.g. History.
It might be regarded as more relevant that Art or Chemistry for a Law degree though.:wink:

They may not accept business and economics together, most unis don’t

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending