The Student Room Group

after school cross country

so I'm still at school doing my A levels and i was thinking that'd it would be good if i joined the after school cross country club.

It's only on one day a week for an hour after school so I was wondering since I'm doing a levels should i go every week or go like once a month?

and what should I wear?
If your planning on doing competitions or something then definitely go and speak to the coach, if not then it's up to you how much you do. The good thing about running is that if you miss a session you can make it up later in the week when you have a bit of time.

As for what to wear, I'd recommend either leggings or shorts depending on the weather (trackies would just get soaking and make you overheat) and a training top, preferably a motion dry one but tbh any breathable top would be okay if you don't have that. If there's somewhere you can leave these if you get too hot, I would also recommend a lightweight raincoat and hoody.

Depending on where you train, wear trainers that you don't mind ruining and have a decent amount of support in the arch.
A-Levels are not that time consuming that you can't do an hour of sports every week. People here seem to think that you have to treat A-Levels like an Oxbridge degree, it isn't true.

Go as much as you like.
Original post by RockGirl19
If your planning on doing competitions or something then definitely go and speak to the coach, if not then it's up to you how much you do. The good thing about running is that if you miss a session you can make it up later in the week when you have a bit of time.

As for what to wear, I'd recommend either leggings or shorts depending on the weather (trackies would just get soaking and make you overheat) and a training top, preferably a motion dry one but tbh any breathable top would be okay if you don't have that. If there's somewhere you can leave these if you get too hot, I would also recommend a lightweight raincoat and hoody.

Depending on where you train, wear trainers that you don't mind ruining and have a decent amount of support in the arch.

On the shoes, I SECOND THIS. I used to have terrible trainers, and when it come for my school's annual cross-country run, my feet would get wrecked. Get some nice shoes dammit, your feet will thank you.
Original post by xBasedChris
On the shoes, I SECOND THIS. I used to have terrible trainers, and when it come for my school's annual cross-country run, my feet would get wrecked. Get some nice shoes dammit, your feet will thank you.

Oh my god, on my last xc race I made the mistake of running with some brand new trail shoes:colonhash:. The race went okay, but my heels were bleeding so badly afterwards!

Turns out a 5 mile race in new shoes isn't the best idea:biggrin:.
Oh my god, on my last xc race I made the mistake of running with some brand new trail shoes:colonhash:. The race went okay, but my heels were bleeding so badly afterwards!

Turns out a 5 mile race in new shoes isn't the best idea:biggrin:.

School XC was the bane of my existence. Never mind that school felt it was necessary to schedule it for the cold, dark, hard winter. We could have done it in Summer, but nooo ;(
Original post by xBasedChris
School XC was the bane of my existence. Never mind that school felt it was necessary to schedule it for the cold, dark, hard winter. We could have done it in Summer, but nooo ;(

I'm actually one of those weirdos who does cross country for fun:bird:

But yeah, I hate it pretty often. Although last year my friend mistimed a vault over the fence and fell straight into a massive cowpat, which pretty much made the whole season worthwhile.
I'm actually one of those weirdos who does cross country for fun:bird:

But yeah, I hate it pretty often. Although last year my friend mistimed a vault over the fence and fell straight into a massive cowpat, which pretty much made the whole season worthwhile.

A masochist :O

I prefer the cross-trainer and badminton, running hurts my poor feet too much ;(

To be fair, I dive a lot in badminton, so my elbows and knees get wrecked.
is cross country literally just running/sprinting around the school playground?
Original post by Apple2017
is cross country literally just running/sprinting around the school playground?

It's long distance running, usually over rough terrain, though that isn't required.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending