The Student Room Group

Geography degree without the A Level

I have not taken Geography at A Level even though I really love it and now want it as a degree (don't ask why) and I know this is probably hard for a lot of people to answer, but does anyone know which universities accept you for Geography without the A Level. Any help/advice would be so appreciated!!
Reply 1
You have no chance,just do something else
Original post by student32610
I have not taken Geography at A Level even though I really love it and now want it as a degree (don't ask why) and I know this is probably hard for a lot of people to answer, but does anyone know which universities accept you for Geography without the A Level. Any help/advice would be so appreciated!!

What A-levels have you taken? A decent number of geography degrees don't require geography A-level but you will need A-levels that are connected with the subject, ie. sciences etc.

Original post by VCBCCVBN

this isn't true
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by _gcx
What A-levels have you taken? A decent number of geography degrees don't require geography A-level but you will need A-levels that are connected with the subject, ie. sciences etc.

I took Maths, Physics and History. I'm hoping having a science and a humanity will help with an application.

It's still possible to apply without A Level Geography, a few of the universities who don't require it include Exeter, Birmingham and Liverpool. Universities may accept a science subject in place of geography (where geography isn't required) and since you've done physics you should meet that requirement :smile:
Another option would be to do a foundation year or take the A Level course at a college or such.

As said earlier- not all unis require it.
Original post by Leviathan1741
It's still possible to apply without A Level Geography, a few of the universities who don't require it include Exeter, Birmingham and Liverpool. Universities may accept a science subject in place of geography (where geography isn't required) and since you've done physics you should meet that requirement :smile:

Thanks so much, do you think that's enough or should I try to do something like Geography work experience or AS Geography?
Thanks so much, do you think that's enough or should I try to do something like Geography work experience or AS Geography?

Geography-related work experience is notoriously difficult to find, which is why it's never required. I think that as long as you're able to demonstrate your enthusiasm for the subject well in your personal statement (by emphasising the areas of geography which most interest you, and perhaps doing extra reading on the subject), then completing a qualification in geography isn't really necessary :smile:

I WANT TO DO GEOGRAPHY AT UNI TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :biggrin:
Fortunately for me, I am doing the a level :')
I am applying to Exeter, Aberystwyth, Nottingham, Sussex and East Anglia, so I'll have a quick check in the prospectuses for you :smile:
Sussex - AAB-ABB
It says a levels must include geography or another science. So your physics should be fine!
Aberystwyth - if you had geography you'd need BBB but it's OK without geography if you have ABB
East Anglia - ABB including geography. Oops.
Nottingham - AAB including "geography or equivalent" not sure what "or equivalent" means :/
Exeter - AAA-AAB doesn't specify if you need geography so assume not? would check that though :smile:
Hope this helps! Geography is great :biggrin:
Original post by Leviathan1741
Geography-related work experience is notoriously difficult to find, which is why it's never required. I think that as long as you're able to demonstrate your enthusiasm for the subject well in your personal statement (by emphasising the areas of geography which most interest you, and perhaps doing extra reading on the subject), then completing a qualification in geography isn't really necessary :smile:

Agreed - I struggled to find work experience for geography, in the end I have been doing a bit with this waste reudction volunteers group with the council, and I have worked for a year or so at an Oxfam charity shop, and the work of the actual charity can be linked to geography! Although I want to do a BA so very focused around human geography, not so sure about physical.
Original post by VCBCCVBN

rubbish

Out of interest, BA or BSc?
I took Maths, Physics and History. I'm hoping having a science and a humanity will help with an application.

How are you finding that combination? I’m doing the same subjects but Geography instead of Maths
Reply 13

I was thinking of doing this myself but ultimately applied for something else yesterday. I've still got a few choices and might send other applications for a Geography course. I'm looking at Leeds, Sheffield, and Durham, which all don't have an issue with no Geography at A level. Durham also allows you to send a substitute personal statement to them so you could make your main UCAS PS geared towards a subject you feel more confident about and apply to Durham just for Geography or the other way around. Geography-specific work experience isn't necessary; you just need to explain your passion for the subject through what you've done. For me, that was a book, an EPQ, a FutureLearn course, and work experience (which I didn't intend to do for Geography at the time but twisted towards Geography in my PS). I haven't finished the online course or book yet but fully intend to in the next few weeks before any potential interviews so it's not too late to start now if you feel you haven't got much. Good luck.
Original post by Spider&TheFly
Out of interest, BA or BSc?

I am not sure yet, I loved the sound of the geopolitics (so human) in the a level but I also have a love of physics so maybe the geophysics area. I'll probably spend the next year looking up courses and deciding.
My son has just graduated from Northumbria Uni with a B Sc Hons in Geography and Environmental management. He did his 14-18 year old education in the USA and they don't have Geography as a high school subject (or they don't in NC ) but he'd studied Earth and Environmental Science to AP level. Even though Northumbria said A level Geography was a requirement for the course they accepted him, but maybe they looked at him more like they would look at an international student.
I'm not sure about other unis, but Birmingham don't specifically ask for A-Level Geography for a Geography degree (BA/BSc).

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/gees/geography-ba.aspx#CourseDetailsTab

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending