The Student Room Group

Why do so many students want to pursue soulless corporate jobs?

The amount of people at my uni who just want to go into corporate law, investment banking, accounting, actuarial at big corporations is incredible. I just don't see the appeal of working somewhere so... bland. I guess I was a bit into that a year ago since I didn't know quite how awful the environment was, but now that I do know I just don't see why anyone would want to do these jobs apart from the salary. I'm not having a go, I have a lot of respect for those who do these jobs, but I don't understand the motivations of people who go for them?

Imo working 50+ hours a week sitting on a computer looking at boring business stuff on excel and earning £100000 a year just to give £35000 of that away in taxes and then living in a suburban three bedroom house in London and commuting everyday just seems like such a waste of a life. Why not do something that can help others, like research/academia/teaching/medicine/defence law/civil service?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

dont ask me
Original post by MartinF98
The amount of people at my uni who just want to go into corporate law, investment banking, accounting, actuarial at big corporations is incredible. I just don't see the appeal of working somewhere so... bland. I guess I was a bit into that a year ago since I didn't know quite how awful the environment was, but now that I do know I just don't see why anyone would want to do these jobs apart from the salary. I'm not having a go, I have a lot of respect for those who do these jobs, but I don't understand the motivations of people who go for them?

Imo working 50+ hours a week sitting on a computer looking at boring business stuff on excel and earning £100000 a year just to give £35000 of that away in taxes and then living in a suburban three bedroom house in London and commuting everyday just seems like such a waste of a life. Why not do something that can help others, like research/academia/teaching/medicine/defence law/civil service?

money

For that $$$

Personally a few years ago I was interested in commercial law without even know about how good the pay is because I thought I’d enjoy giving legal advice to companies etc.
Reply 4
I think some people do enjoy certain jobs in those sectors, others just do it for the money. Majority probably just can't find anything better to do
Why? Money.

Life is nothing without money.

Money > Happiness
Reply 6
Why not do something that can help others, like teaching/QUOTE]

Teaching:

Yay a 70+ hour a week job getting chairs thrown at you, earning £25K and still losing a chunk of it as tax, living in a one-bedroom apartment and commuting everyday.
Reply 7
[QUOTE="Pigster;74116574"]
Why not do something that can help others, like teaching/QUOTE]

Teaching:

Yay a 70+ hour a week job getting chairs thrown at you, earning £25K and still losing a chunk of it as tax, living in a one-bedroom apartment and commuting everyday.

Teaching is a 70-hour a week job? Pretty sure none of my teachers ever worked more than 50
One of those options is actually interesting, another has incredible exit opportunities.
Mainly for the income. Some of them want to see themselves working in elite companies and growing/building their careers. They are not soulless but they have succumbed in the political system that rules economically strong countries like UK (you can't escape capitalism :P).

What is sad is that some people do not have a choice. For instance, say that you study Computer Science. There is a small possibility that you will work in one of the big four companies (Google, Amazon etc.). Such companies value the work-life balance and give more freedom to their employees in order to be productive. But there is a small possibility of getting hired in such companies especially if you have not graduated from a top University. Then, you are left to work with the companies you are mentioning (or startups). At least in my opinion.
(edited 6 years ago)
Money. Plus some people do enjoy corporate office jobs.
It rhymes with smoney.
I agree with you totally.
[QUOTE="Trapz99;74116678"]
Original post by Pigster

Teaching is a 70-hour a week job? Pretty sure none of my teachers ever worked more than 50

Contractually 50, the vast majority of teachers often have to work when they get home for several hours. My mother teaches secondary school and nearly every night she was up til like 11 marking, making power points etc.

Also, to the OP - some people struggle between deciding on a useful degree and something they actually enjoy. Some just decide megadollars are worth more than happiness.

I mean, I get it. I picked Biomed to start with because I thought it was good for employment and starts on a neat £25k AfC. Only now realised that doing something I like (i.e. biology broadly) is more important.

But, some people are happy going into corporate, soulless things because the money justifies and sustains them, I guess?
Money £££ and Reputation!

Spoiler

Original post by squirrology
Money £££ and Reputation!

Spoiler

Have you considered Geology? That’ll definitely get you outdoors :tongue:
Because hipster and creative **** doesn’t pay the bills
Original post by calsmith12
Why? Money.

Life is nothing without money.

Money > Happiness

Money = happiness
Original post by CastCuraga
Contractually 50, the vast majority of teachers often have to work when they get home for several hours. My mother teaches secondary school and nearly every night she was up til like 11 marking, making power points etc.

Also, to the OP - some people struggle between deciding on a useful degree and something they actually enjoy. Some just decide megadollars are worth more than happiness.

I mean, I get it. I picked Biomed to start with because I thought it was good for employment and starts on a neat £25k AfC. Only now realised that doing something I like (i.e. biology broadly) is more important.

But, some people are happy going into corporate, soulless things because the money justifies and sustains them, I guess?

Can you get good pay jobs with chemistry?
Original post by Reece.W.J
Can you get good pay jobs with chemistry?

To be honest I'm not an expert, I avoid chemistry as much as I can :tongue: Of the sciences I think Physics pays more, Chemistry is still very in demand for industrial things - Chemical Engineering I've heard pays quite a lot for that reason.

Your standard Chemistry degree -> PhD probably isn't too bad either, but like all PhDs it's likely limited.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending