The Student Room Group

Why is Computer Science regarded as a "boys" Subject?*.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by crocodile_ears
The argument comes down to nature vs. nurture, are women naturally more interested in certain jobs, or is everyone influenced by social expectations? Maybe it's both, but I think the latter is is too interesting and important to ignore. Let's take video games as an example, as a lot of people get into computer science because of them - do less women play video games because they don't just don't want to, or do less play because almost all the story-lines and playable characters are about men?

That is a very good point. Are too many video games made for a masculine audience? Is there no money to be made from video games that appeal to girls?

Similar things could be said for other products. I remember a time when a (home educated) girl wanted a BMX. She had previously ridden a friend's BMX and decided that was the type of bike she wanted, and she didn't want a mountain bike with gears or something that looked like an old ladies bike. Her parents and female friends were surprised with the choice because most BMX bikes have very masculine colours and are marketed at boys even though under the paintwork they are technically unisex.

A strange paradox is that girls who take D&T Food Technology for GCSE outnumber boys but celebrity masterchefs are almost always men.
I think it is a combination of there being fewer girls inclined to it, and that society kind of discourages us, in that CS is perceived to be done by only males.
I go to an all-girls school, and 10 people including me do it (year group of about 80) and 4 people do it at a level, which i'd imagine is a higher number of girls than most schools. At all-girls schools, people are more free to express themselves and are more encouraged to study what they want, i know that i would be less comfortable doing CS if i was the only girl in a class full of boys.
There have been plenty of female computer scientists over the years, so it's not like we're incapable of it, but it can be difficult to separate nature and nurture.
Does any information exist about the popularity of Computer Science between students from different races / ethnic groups / religions? If so, then does Computer Science appeal to girls in some groups more or less than the national average?
Original post by Arran90
Does any information exist about the popularity of Computer Science between students from different races / ethnic groups / religions? If so, then does Computer Science appeal to girls in some groups more or less than the national average?

idk about nationally, but in my class of 10 girls there's only 2 white people lol
Yeah, I'm the only girl in my Computing class too.
Maybe it's because it's not a facilitating subject, and not a requirement for most Computing related courses?

Although, reading the rest of your post, I'd have to say that there are quite a few girls in the subjects you mentioned, at least where I am; there are more girls than boys in my Maths class, for example.
The majority of girls aren’t interested or feel they’re not good at it
Stupid expectations and not enough encouragement.

No all women aren't 'maternally inclined'. This isn't the 50s.
Reply 47
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Stupid expectations and not enough encouragement.

No all women aren't 'maternally inclined'. This isn't the 50s.

To be fair I don't think the problem is encouragement. The girls who do go into the STEM fields are generally interested in them which is really good. It could maybe be that majority of them are just not interested in Computer Science.
Reply 48
Original post by TiggerTiger
What makes a subject primarily a "Boys" subject.

This question has been playing on my mind since I started Sixth Form in 2016 and found I was the only girl in my Computer Science. I really want to know why there are not many girls taking subjects like Computing, Product Design, Maths, Physics, Engineering.

I was wondering if you guys could help.

It wasn't always like this...

And it was Ada Lovelace day on the 10th Oct:
https://findingada.com
Original post by Black Water
To be fair I don't think the problem is encouragement. The girls who do go into the STEM fields are generally interested in them which is really good. It could maybe be that majority of them are just not interested in Computer Science.

So you've met and questioned all girl?

K.
Reply 50
So you've met and questioned all girl?

K.

When did I say that? If I said that then show me.

There are so many STEM events for girls only so you can't just say that there isn't enough encouragement.
When did I say that? If I said that then show me.

There are so many STEM events for girls only so you can't just say that there isn't enough encouragement.

You said the majority of girls aren't interested in Computer Science, so naturally, I assumed you at least talked to some to get some kind of response. Not just made some massive assumption.

Also, that's not even close to the only reason.
Reply 52
You said the majority of girls aren't interested in Computer Science, so naturally, I assumed you at least talked to some to get some kind of response. Not just made some massive assumption.

Also, that's not even close to the only reason.

I actually have spoken to a lot of girls in our school about Computer Science/STEM. I said maybe it could be, I didn't say majority definitely are not interested.

What other reasons are there?
I actually have spoken to a lot of girls in our school about Computer Science/STEM. I said maybe it could be, I didn't say majority definitely are not interested.

What other reasons are there?

Well, that's your school.

I already said, expectations.
Reply 54
Well, that's your school.

I already said, expectations.

Yes that's true, there isn't even one girl taking A-Level Computer Science which is bad.

Could you elaborate on this please?
Yes that's true, there isn't even one girl taking A-Level Computer Science which is bad.

Could you elaborate on this please?

Meh, I didn't do A-Levels so I dunno.

Expectations to do other subjects-from a younger age.

Like for example, I guess this is just me but whatever, my grandad expected me to pursue Nursing just because I'm a girl, even though I never even wanted to do such a thing. Happens a lot to other girls too, and it's quite annoying actually. I'd rather do what I wanna do.
Reply 56
Meh, I didn't do A-Levels so I dunno.

Expectations to do other subjects-from a younger age.

Like for example, I guess this is just me but whatever, my grandad expected me to pursue Nursing just because I'm a girl, even though I never even wanted to do such a thing. Happens a lot to other girls too, and it's quite annoying actually. I'd rather do what I wanna do.

Yeah I get what you mean. I guess it's your family as well and their influence. My parents always tell me to become a doctor or an Engineer. At first, I wanted to be an accountant for some reason but now I actually want to become an Engineer because of my family partly.

Girls are also usually pushed to become midwives as well which is quite horrible. They never usually get to choose what they want to become, just controlled by their family.
Yeah I get what you mean. I guess it's your family as well and their influence. My parents always tell me to become a doctor or an Engineer. At first, I wanted to be an accountant for some reason but now I actually want to become an Engineer because of my family partly.

Girls are also usually pushed to become midwives as well which is quite horrible. They never usually get to choose what they want to become, just controlled by their family.

Yeah, it's just really annoying when they can't just accept your decisions and try and push stuff on you.
How is Engineering?

I know, it's ridiculous. They should just pursue their passion but it is hard when you're not supported.
Reply 58
Yeah, it's just really annoying when they can't just accept your decisions and try and push stuff on you.
How is Engineering?

I know, it's ridiculous. They should just pursue their passion but it is hard when you're not supported.

Yeah I get what you mean, it should be their own decision. You misunderstood, I haven't started Engineering in university yet. I've only started first year of A-Level. Are you currently at University?
Original post by Arran90
That is a very good point. Are too many video games made for a masculine audience? Is there no money to be made from video games that appeal to girls?

Similar things could be said for other products. I remember a time when a (home educated) girl wanted a BMX. She had previously ridden a friend's BMX and decided that was the type of bike she wanted, and she didn't want a mountain bike with gears or something that looked like an old ladies bike. Her parents and female friends were surprised with the choice because most BMX bikes have very masculine colours and are marketed at boys even though under the paintwork they are technically unisex.

A strange paradox is that girls who take D&T Food Technology for GCSE outnumber boys but celebrity masterchefs are almost always men.

Yeah, it's interesting how internationally, women enrol into tertiary education more than men, but earn less overall. (check out http://reports.weforum.org/global-gender-gap-report-2016/#read , if you go the 'explore country data' option you'll see the trend). Part of me thinks it's probably because a lot of women are still just starting out in their careers, but it still says a lot about society, sexism in the past, and the way it's affecting the future.

I think with video games it turns into a cycle - girls don't see themselves represented in video games, so they don't play them and in turn won't go on to be an influence in the gaming industry so nothing changes. I also think the violence of video games has an influence, as in general the media marketed towards girls isn't as violent as it is for boys. If girls are taught that they're supposed to be more caring and empathetic, then they become those things and the violence in video games isn't as appealing.

Quick Reply