The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stormeranna
Just notice which bathroom they use

This is the answer.
Original post by Nerry
first two lines were cringy af

You mean the "Yo" part?

What's wrong with yo!, it's a normal formal introduction to a conversation.
Original post by bluemadhatter
You've got to be ****ing kidding me right now. You don't need to know anything. Why the **** would you feel uneasy and uncomfortable, you are clearly transphobic and need to stay the **** away from her. You must also be a troll so bye now.

Original post by Existing ID
What's the big deal? She/he is your colleague, not your partner. As long as she/he is professional on the job and get it done perfectly, there's nothing wrong with his/her gender or sexuality. I would be happy to work with anything/anyone that's hardworking, for it being a dog or a machine.

Original post by TitanCream
Just go with it. I'm sure one day it will come up in conversation. With all due respect but, is it so important? I met someone the other day who was built like a boxer but had heavy make-up on and spoke with a feminine twang. I couldn't care less if they identify as an alien tbh, it is their choice and it doesn't bother me in the least.

You're all missing what is being asked.

OP is trying to find out a way of addressing said person without offending them.
He doesn't care what they identify as.
Original post by Kravence

OP is trying to find out a way of addressing said person without offending them.

No hes really not, if she identifies as a she then she would be addressed as her/she. Read his replies, he doesn't seem to care whether he offends or not.
Original post by Kravence

Yes!

Exactly.:closedeyes:
no
Original post by Anonymous
Get her to fill a review form sort of thing or go old school and get a scrap book, ask all your work mates to fill in, and most of them do have the M or F option, so, maybe that would help. Situations like these can be hard, even if a person is transgender, it's hard to ask which pronoun do they prefer without sounding rude. * I'm not offending anyone, I'm being honest*

That is exhausting work.

I can't be bothered to put all that work in just find out someones chosen gender.:dry:

I need something simple but effective!
Whilst one's gender really doesn't matter too much, I can understand your curiosity. I figure if you're just polite about it, it'll be fine. But I will say, just because one does typically "feminine" or "masculine" things, or appears that way, doesn't automatically put them into either one of the categories.
Reply 48
okay don't be going around saying trans people make u feel 'uneasy' and 'uncomfortable' ... its 2017 man get a grip.

you could ask them politely what their preferred pronouns are.

be kind and what-not when asking like don't shout about it man! trans people are still people, you don't need to know what going on in someone else's life they same way you don't want your business out there!

It's not rude to ask how someone wants to be addressed (just because they are feminine they still might be HE/HIM pronouns!) if it comes across rude you can just explain that you didn't know! an honest mistake! as long as you considered their feelings and how it might come across!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by cixrx
okay don't be going around saying trans people make u feel 'uneasy' and 'uncomfortable' ... its 2017 man get a grip.

you could ask them politely what their preferred pronouns are.

be kind and what-not when asking like don't shout about it man! trans people are still people, you don't need to know what going on in someone else's life they same way you don't want your business out there!

It's not rude to ask how someone wants to be addressed (just because they are feminine they still might be HE/HIM pronouns!) if it comes across rude you can just explain that you didn't know! an honest mistake! as long as you considered their feelings and how it might come across!

When you say politely, you mean like say please and excuse me:mute:?

For example: Excuse me, not to sound rude or anything but could you by any chance elaborate on your select gender please?

Does that sound polite?:curious:

I am curious what people mean by "polite way" of asking someone a question that could potentially offend and upset them to the point of tears!:erm:

I don't know if there is truly a polite and gentle way of asking an offensive question.

That is like me saying pardon to someone and then casually stabbing them and then apologising profusely afterwards. I stabbed them but as long as I was polite about it then I guess the stabbing was okay.

Terrible analogy, but you get the point.:closedeyes:
Ask someone who knows Alex, but is not really close to him/her.
Reply 51
i dont reckon its that offensive of a question, i get asked it all the time!

it definitely won't be that offensive to ask politely what someone's pronouns are or what they would like to be called!

when I / people say to ask politely and with respect it just means you should consider their feelings, approach the situation with a 'do no harm' attitude!

i feel that you should ask their 'pronouns' or 'gender pronouns' because when you just say 'gender' it could come across as rude but thats just my personal feeling!

i think it's more about how you act after as well, if this person is trans you should be accepting and move on!

Original post by LondonsSweetBoy
When you say politely, you mean like say please and excuse me:mute:?

For example: Excuse me, not to sound rude or anything but could you by any chance elaborate on your select gender please?

Does that sound polite?:curious:

I am curious what people mean by "polite way" of asking someone a question that could potentially offend and upset them to the point of tears!:erm:

I don't know if there is truly a polite and gentle way of asking an offensive question.

That is like me saying pardon to someone and then casually stabbing them and then apologising profusely afterwards. I stabbed them but as long as I was polite about it then I guess the stabbing was okay.

Terrible analogy, but you get the point.:closedeyes:
Original post by cixrx
i dont reckon its that offensive of a question, i get asked it all the time!

it definitely won't be that offensive to ask politely what someone's pronouns are or what they would like to be called!

when I / people say to ask politely and with respect it just means you should consider their feelings, approach the situation with a 'do no harm' attitude!

i feel that you should ask their 'pronouns' or 'gender pronouns' because when you just say 'gender' it could come across as rude but thats just my personal feeling!

i think it's more about how you act after as well, if this person is trans you should be accepting and move on!

Seriously?:shock:

People are comfortable enough to ask you if you're male or female?

How often have you been asked that question?

It must really offend you though, if you get asked the same question on your gender all the time!
hey,
i would maybe ask around first, try to find out more about her/him- like a boss or something?
i wouldn't ask her/him themselves bc it might insult them
Reply 54
if im in a new situation like a new job or class then i get asked it a lot at the beginning so it clears up any confusion!
co-workers/ strangers/ customers have all asked me what my pronouns are and i don't mind, they've never asked it in a malicious or ill intended way, they've either asked out of curiosity (like yourself with your co-worker) or respect (for example they wanted to know what to write in an email)

I've only been asked if im male or female by people over the age of 50! and that's always come across as rude!

i think you should only approach your co-worker if you know that whatever answer they give wont be a problem for you, you said they are feminine so if they turn around and say their preferred pronouns are He/Him, would you respect that?

Seriously?:shock:

People are comfortable enough to ask you if you're male or female?

How often have you been asked that question?

It must really offend you though, if you get asked the same question on your gender all the time!
Given their name is "Alex", you could probably ask what Alex is short for? It's a good indicator?
As a transgender man myself, I can just say that if you're confused ask them. If they're obviously presenting as female and other coworkers address them as such, then it's obvious that they prefer female pronouns.

Just don't be a **** about it or ask them publically. Just say "what's your preferred pronouns?" in a private enviroment lol.
Original post by cixrx
if im in a new situation like a new job or class then i get asked it a lot at the beginning so it clears up any confusion!
co-workers/ strangers/ customers have all asked me what my pronouns are and i don't mind, they've never asked it in a malicious or ill intended way, they've either asked out of curiosity (like yourself with your co-worker) or respect (for example they wanted to know what to write in an email)

I've only been asked if im male or female by people over the age of 50! and that's always come across as rude!

i think you should only approach your co-worker if you know that whatever answer they give wont be a problem for you, you said they are feminine so if they turn around and say their preferred pronouns are He/Him, would you respect that?

I don't want to sound rude, just out of curiosity. Are you transexual or a male that looks female or female that looks male?
Reply 58
Original post by Londons SweetBoy
What are you on about?:dry:

She/he is my work partner I need to know these things!

We work together so if she/he identifies as transgender then it's important she makes me aware so I don't feel so uneasy and uncomfortable around her/him.

Because this is just running through my mind. Everytime I see her/him it's the only thing I think about:unsure:

It will take a load off my mind if I let out of my system.

I think I might eventually just blurt it out just so I can concentrate on my work better!

You need to know.... so you don't feel uncomfortable?

But it's perfectly fine making a thread online telling complete strangers about them?

You sound so transphobic, I feel incredibly sorry for the person you're referring to.
Reply 59
im a girl with a shaved head, i wear a lot of pink/glittery make up and dress quite ambiguously, so when people see me from behind im normally address as Sir or Mr. and from the front get called ma'am or miss, so it does raise questions sometimes but its never been a problem for me or anyone ive encountered. its the 21st century so there's a lot of freedom to be who you want but theres also a lot of judgement (ive been blessed not to encounter) i think you are genuinely not meaning to be in any way transphobic but you could research into gender and sexuality a little more if you're really not wanting to offend anyone.

i think you need to think about whether or not it is genuinely a necessity to know this persons gender and what not, because they are your co-worker you should keep it very professional, you can always refer to someone as THEM/ THEIR / THEY or even better 'Alex'!

I don't want to sound rude, just out of curiosity. Are you transexual or a male that looks female or female that looks male?

Latest

Trending

Trending