The Student Room Group

What mark should I get?

I’d love a first, but if not I’d be very happy with a 2:1. (I need good grades for placement year).

I showed my lecturer what I’ve done so far, she said it’s really good and had no improvements for me. I was like “😱😱”.

She said I can email my work to her for feedback, so I spent yesterday and today working on it what I had left to do. I emailed her my work and waited for feedback, she said:

“You have produced a good piece of work, well done.

You can slightly improve your presentation, we will discuss this next week.”

I am very pleased with this, I’m not too sure what grade to expect.

Bare in mind I’m not being arrogant, I’m 22 and I’ve changed my degree choice and began from first year again. I just want to do really well and succeed at university.

Scroll to see replies

Are you currently a first year
I'm confused as to what you want to know?
Reply 3
Yes, I’m first year again.

I’m confused on what grade I’m at. For example, I thought I’d receive feedback on how to improve to like a 2:1 etc. I’m not sure what standard I am.

Then again, I guess I’ll have to wait it out as it’s university level.

I suppose this thread is point, sorry for wasting your time.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I'm confused as to what you want to know?

Yes, I’m first year again. I’m confused on what grade I’m at.

For example, I thought I’d receive feedback on how to improve to like a 2:1 etc. I’m not sure what standard I am.

Reply 5
Are you currently a first year

Yes
I know students say they got like 2:1 for first year and whatnot, but this doesnt actually make sense, as you can only get a classification once you complete the degree

But we know what they mean when they say they get a 2:1 for first year

Maybe you should ask what grade/percentage they would give your work? HAve you tried that?!?!?!??’
Reply 7
I know students say they got like 2:1 for first year and whatnot, but this doesnt actually make sense, as you can only get a classification once you complete the degree

But we know what they mean when they say they get a 2:1 for first year

Maybe you should ask what grade/percentage they would give your work? HAve you tried that?!?!?!??’

I’m on about placement year, they will look at first year grades before considering me.

I know first year doesn’t count. Second and third year make up classification.

I will ask her when I see her next if she can tell me or what improvements I can make to get higher grade.

I’m confused on what grade I’m at. For example, I thought I’d receive feedback on how to improve to like a 2:1 etc. I’m not sure what standard I am.

I believe you will get a good mark for a good piece of work. That is good. Perhaps talk to your teacher about their definition of good? Good luck.
Reply 9
Original post by 999tigger
I believe you will get a good mark for a good piece of work. That is good. Perhaps talk to your teacher about their definition of good? Good luck.

I will love a first, but I’d be very happy with 2:1 because I’m first year so still have time for improvements :smile:

Thank you, I will speak to her when I see her next.

I need good grades for placement year!
I will love a first, but I’d be very happy with 2:1 because I’m first year so still have time for improvements :smile:

Thank you, I will speak to her when I see her next.

I need good grades for placement year!

Maybe tell her you would love a first and see what she says?
It's difficult at uni level to just say an essay is a 2:1 or a first
Usually a mark scheme is broken down into different sections and how well you do in each section then adds up to the final grade
So I did an essay in second year, my content was very good however my references got very messed up so I just got 70% rather than the 80% if I hadn't messed them up
If she's happy with your work then it's probably at a 2:1 standard (at least), if you want to improve just make sure there are no holes in your essay (i.e. every sentence has a point as is correct, if you want get to the end of the paragraph and still ask "so what" then the paragraph needs adding to)
Original post by 999tigger
Maybe tell her you would love a first and see what she says?

I will! :smile:

I keep asking for feedback, but so far no improvements so hopefully that’s a good sign.
First year generally doesn't count to your final degree classification. It's only the last two years. You should speak with your tutor about how the grading works and ask for constructive feedback so you can improve further.
Original post by iElvendork
It's difficult at uni level to just say an essay is a 2:1 or a first
Usually a mark scheme is broken down into different sections and how well you do in each section then adds up to the final grade
So I did an essay in second year, my content was very good however my references got very messed up so I just got 70% rather than the 80% if I hadn't messed them up
If she's happy with your work then it's probably at a 2:1 standard (at least), if you want to improve just make sure there are no holes in your essay (i.e. every sentence has a point as is correct, if you want get to the end of the paragraph and still ask "so what" then the paragraph needs adding to)

Thank you for your help.

I’d be happy with 2:1, but I’ll ask her how to improve to first standard. I’ve sorted my references out so should be okay in that sense.
Original post by hannxm
First year generally doesn't count to your final degree classification. It's only the last two years. You should speak with your tutor about how the grading works and ask for constructive feedback so you can improve further.

I know, but for placement year they ask for first year he grades.

I will ask her when I see her next, see what she says because I’d assume “good” is a 2:1 standard.. Excellent would be first.

I will ask how to improve to first standard.
Ah okay. Yeah you should ask her, but I think you can work out your overall percentage? Well I can.

I know, but for placement year they ask for first year he grades.

I will ask her when I see her next, see what she says because I’d assume “good” is a 2:1 standard.. Excellent would be first.

I will ask how to improve to first standard.
Original post by hannxm
Ah okay. Yeah you should ask her, but I think you can work out your overall percentage? Well I can.

I could try to ask her, but I don’t think she’s allowed to tell percentage until she’s marked it and it’s been assessed by external moderators.

Ah well, she says it’s good so I’ll receive a “good” mark :smile:

Uh. How can we with the feedback of "a good piece of work but you can slightly improve" know what mark you're gonna get?
Original post by FloralHybrid
Uh. How can we with the feedback of "a good piece of work but you can slightly improve" know what mark you're gonna get?

I assume good is a 2:1, First is excellent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending