The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Which college for Oxford?

Hello,

The deadline for Oxford approaches and I still haven't decided on the college I want to go to. I mean finding it difficult but can anyone recommend one? As there are 35 I can narrow it down to preferences I would like...

- Studying Theology and Religion. Thus will want it as close to where the lectures take place.
- preferably as close to the Oxford city as possible
- accommodation must be en-suite, non-shared
- fully catered is best
- college more for its music (orchestra), than sport etc

Thank you!
You may find this tool created by the Oxford Student Union helpful.

Oxford isn't a very large city though, and my understanding is the university is much more condensed compared to Cambridge, so in terms of distances and poximity to the city centre I doubt you'll have much issue wherever you go.

Additionally to my knowledge most students if not all are interviewed by two colleges, and about 25% are made an offer by another college - however none I know of dislike the college the eventually end up in, even if it wasn't their first choice.

They will all have fully catered options, and most there isn't even a possibility of self-catering, so that's unlikely to be an issue. En-suite facilities tend to be rare, and are often less common in the central areas due to those being older buildings. Rooms aren't shared as well, unlike in the US, to my knowledge, although higher year students at Cambridge sometimes get an option to share in a "set", where two rooms have an adjoining common area and bathroom - I assume Oxford may have similar setups, but the two do vary so, perhaps not. Facilities are normally shared between about 6-8 other students typically I believe; this is normally just a kettle/toaster and bathroom facilities. Also I believe most colleges have choral and organ scholars so, music is an inevitability if you want to experience it :smile:
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
There aren't that many to choose from for your subject as it is a quite restricted list - maybe about 12 or so excluding the ones where you have to be a monk! Department I think is based in the Radcliffe Quarter so Worcester, St.Johns, St.Benets, Regents Park and Keble quite close but its all quite close anyway wherever you are.
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
You may find this tool created by the Oxford Student Union helpful.

That's a nice touch.

Thoughts @Paralove :wink:
Original post by Doonesbury
That's a nice touch.

Thoughts @Paralove :wink:

Interesting...

Quick Reply