The Student Room Group

How much do employers look at the university you went to?

I want to do a computer science degree, I did a btec but it turns out I need a level maths aswell to get anywhere in the top 15..... So if I was to go to a less reputable university like Brunel or Leicester, how much would employers look at this?
Original post by Ryanthom100
I want to do a computer science degree, I did a btec but it turns out I need a level maths aswell to get anywhere in the top 15..... So if I was to go to a less reputable university like Brunel or Leicester, how much would employers look at this?

It depends entirely on you and the sort of employers you’re looking for. My boyfriend graduated from computer science at De Montfort university in Leicester in July, and has gone straight into a graduate position at Jaguar Land Rover Which is where he had a placement. So from my perspective I certainly don’t think where you go will hold you back! It’s you as a person which determines what you do with your qualifications. Any employer who judges you purely based on where you studied isn’t worth wasting time on.
Original post by carrotstar
It depends entirely on you and the sort of employers you’re looking for. My boyfriend graduated from computer science at De Montfort university in Leicester in July, and has gone straight into a graduate position at Jaguar Land Rover Which is where he had a placement. So from my perspective I certainly don’t think where you go will hold you back! It’s you as a person which determines what you do with your qualifications. Any employer who judges you purely based on where you studied isn’t worth wasting time on.

Ok thanks for the really useful reply, I appreciate it :biggrin: I feel like this has made me a slight bit more happier now.
Ok thanks for the really useful reply, I appreciate it :biggrin: I feel like this has made me a slight bit more happier now.

You’re very welcome 😊
A job in law, high finance it can affect where you go
Reply 5
You don't even need a degree for computer science, most programmers are self-taught and apply through their portfolios/previous work.

Not very much. In all honesty, it very much does depend on your personality than just purely on your qualifications (and where you studied them too).
A degree and qualifications in general doesn't really define you as a person but having qualities do - such as being reliable, hardworking and an excellent work ethic. I know a lot of people who do not have great work ethic and they wonder why they are fired and haven't been able to find a job.
Saying from personal experiences; to get what you want in life you need determination, motivation and good work experiences so that you get where you want to work in life. :yes:
Original post by AngelsandFairies
Not very much. In all honesty, it very much does depend on your personality than just purely on your qualifications (and where you studied them too).
A degree and qualifications in general doesn't really define you as a person but having qualities do - such as being reliable, hardworking and an excellent work ethic. I know a lot of people who do not have great work ethic and they wonder why they are fired and haven't been able to find a job.
Saying from personal experiences; to get what you want in life you need determination, motivation and good work experiences so that you get where you want to work in life. :yes:

cheers thanks for the response. I really appreciate it, I feel like I was looking at this all wrong haha
Original post by Volibear
Are you going for one of those jobs that dont actually require a degree but employers use it as a requirement to filter people out? If so, they likely won't care.

naaa, I need a degree for the job
Original post by Wikia
You don't even need a degree for computer science, most programmers are self-taught and apply through their portfolios/previous work.

You don't even need a degree to be able to do brain surgery. But you know, it does help.

It is easier to evidence your ability to program through academic work than going rogue.
Shouldn't worry about university. It's a lot about the person experience with academic work. If you do it with any from top 50 unis you should be fine. Leicester is in pretty good position.
Reply 11
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
You don't even need a degree to be able to do brain surgery. But you know, it does help.

It is easier to evidence your ability to program through academic work than going rogue.

That was probably the worst analogy you could have used in this scenario, learning programming is free online and there's THOUSANDS of tools to help you do so, the same can't be said about being a brain surgeon - you of course need practical work for that and hundreds of hours of theory that you won't get access to online. There's nothing about 'going rogue' when you program a game, a database or whatever it is, that shows much more about your skill in languages compared to a degree.
Original post by Wikia
That was probably the worst analogy you could have used in this scenario, learning programming is free online and there's THOUSANDS of tools to help you do so, the same can't be said about being a brain surgeon - you of course need practical work for that and hundreds of hours of theory that you won't get access to online. There's nothing about 'going rogue' when you program a game, a database or whatever it is, that shows much more about your skill in languages compared to a degree.

thanks for the detailed reply, ngl the analogy that person used was **** lmao
Original post by Wikia

The point is that in theory you can develop whatever the skills you like without a degree, but it is easier to develop on and indeed prove those skills with a university degree. There is nothing to stop someone getting a library card and reading medical textbooks, or dissecting road kill and attempting to reanimate them like Frankenstein. Indeed, the first generation of doctors were self-taught. They could develop the necessary skills by themselves, but it is much harder and it is even harder to prove you have such skills to others.
Reply 14
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
The point is that in theory you can develop whatever the skills you like without a degree, but it is easier to develop on and indeed prove those skills with a university degree. There is nothing to stop someone getting a library card and reading medical textbooks, or dissecting road kill and attempting to reanimate them like Frankenstein. Indeed, the first generation of doctors were self-taught. They could develop the necessary skills by themselves, but it is much harder and it is even harder to prove you have such skills to others.

It's not 'easier' to prove those skills with a university degree at all, most CS graduates end up going into employment and not having a clue what they're doing. I think you're mistaken when it comes to your ideas about programming, you can prove your skills easily by showing your own programming work through a portfolio - you're able to showcase to an employer your documentation, the style of your code and your actual base knowledge through the way you code (e.g using a loop over multiple selection statements).

At the end of the day, there's still a positive in getting a degree (and it would certainly help if you didn't have much prior knowledge in programming at all) but that's not to say someone without the degree couldn't excel just as well with someone with one, but you have to remember you're paying over £20k for it.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending