The Student Room Group

White male gun violence

too many guns per person 10 guns for every citizen its mad.
Lmao Pablo ain't white
So, basically, Mexicans are included in the US "crimes by whites" statistics? Well that pretty much makes them f***ing useless then :rofl:
Original post by Mathemagicien
Why shouldn't they be? They aren't black or asian.

They're hispanic.
They're all short.

It's pretty unfair that us 6'2+ crew should have to answer for the crimes of the manlets.

They're Hispanic.
They're descendants of the Spaniards who colonised it brutally centuries ago. They happen to have a lot of native American mixed in. Does that mean they aren't white? The one drop rule, I thought, was a relic of our colonial past. Even the Nazis weren't so strict.

Guess how the Spaniards colonised it? Mucho gun violence.

Native Americans aren't white either so what exactly is your point?

Do you know more races exist than black or 'asian' (which isn't a race anyway)?
Race is a social construct, I could define the races as white, asian (obviously I mean the noodle asians), arabs and blacks, and it would be about as accurate as the usual definitions.

E.g. there is less variation between Europeans and Asians than there is within black Africans. In fact, black people are so genetically distinct and diverse that you could be justified in dividing humanity into two races: blacks and non-blacks.

It's not a social construct if you're looking at the scientific definitions. "White" or "European" is a social construct, but Caucasian is not.

Europeans, Middle Easterners, Afghans, Pakistanis, Central Asians, North Africans are all majority Caucasian. Arabs aren't a race so you'd be wrong there.

I'm aware that blacks are genetically the furthest from any other race; no Neanderthal mixture is the main reason.

Even if you call them Caucasians and Orientals, race is a social construct. The boundaries between races are arbitrarily set. Plenty of Russians in Siberia exist somewhere between Europeans and Asians. Plenty of Africans exist between arab and black. Plenty of people in South America exist between white and native american (the full range, so even labelling them as their own race doesn't help).

Your map demonstrates this, Africa in particular. Those boundaries aren't sharp lines in reality, they are blurred. The way we draw the lines is arbitrary.

And btw, what is your map actually trying to show? Historical races? If so, why is the US green? If it is post-colonial races, it makes even less sense.

Not exactly, sure it's definitely not a straight line and should be blurred but it's generally correct. ie Germans would be ~95% caucasian then as you go east Slavs have more mongoloid mixture, and Siberians even more. Central Asians are a good example, they tend to look hapa. Somalis are also around 50:50 caucasian and negroid.

With South Americans yeah there's huge variation. Peruvians or Bolivians for example are almost fully Amerindian and Argentinians are majority Spanish/Italian. Hispanic isn't a race, it's more of a collective group like Arabs. "Arabs" aren't really Arabs. Only the peninsula is Arab (Gulf states). Levantines and North Africans have been Arabised by invasions, Arabic language, Islam etc.

Historical, US is meant to be blue, I accidentally copied an edited meme version lol.

More accurate map:

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Nebuchadnezzaṛ
It's not a social construct if you're looking at the scientific definitions. "White" or "European" is a social construct, but Caucasian is not.

Europeans, Middle Easterners, Afghans, Pakistanis, Central Asians, North Africans are all majority Caucasian. Arabs aren't a race so you'd be wrong there.

I'm aware that blacks are genetically the furthest from any other race; no Neanderthal mixture is the main reason.

You will find that humans have been breeding with other humanoid species such as Denisovans. There are no pure humans even in Africa because early human in Africa also breed with other humanoid species
Original post by looloo2134
You will find that humans have been breeding with other humanoid species such as Denisovans. There are no pure humans even in Africa because early human in Africa also breed with other humanoid species

Isn't denisovan admixture mainly in east asians?
Original post by Nebuchadnezzaṛ
Isn't denisovan admixture mainly in east asians?

According to the DNA analysis, the families of present-day human and Denisovans split apart about 800,000 years ago and then reconnected some 80,000 years ago. Denisovans share the most alleles with Han populations in southern China, with Dai in northern China, and with Melanesians, Australian aborigines, and other southeast Asia islanders.
Germans would definitely be more than 95% caucasion if I understand what you mean (although that is honestly a meaningless statement). Europe has (until after WW2) been one of the least genetically diverse continents around. IIRC we had two population bottlenecks, and of course after that a lot of trade, intermarriage, and wars with each other.

You want a fancy map to show you where each race is - I can understand that - but any map that pigeonholes more mixed groups (like Turks, Somalis, Siberians, and Finns) is going to be very misleading.

Hungary in particular is definitely Caucasian - historically they were a splinter group the same as Finns, but there was much more intermixing with Caucasians.

As for Turkey, they certainly are the wrong colour too. Most western Turks are probably mostly Greek, with a bit of native Anatolian.

There was a good map on Reddit (/r/europe) that showed a similar thing globally. (If genetics is something that interests you, there is no better place to discuss it - not joking, that place is obsessed with genetics).

Hungarians came very recently to Europe from the east, they were very asiatic originally, but now they are definitely caucasian. Same with Finns. It's why they're the only 2 Europeans who don't speak an Indo-European language.

Western Turkey is Greek, whereas Eastern is more Middle Eastern. Kurds are an Iranic group. Some turks still have their original asian features too.

I am, i'll check it out, cheers.

Another map showing genetic distance because why not. Africans are genetically very distance from all other humans.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending